Why is no one talking about this? Wii outselling the PS2

You know, the fact that the Wii is outselling the PS2.

Japan

February 12 - 18, 2007
DSL - 136,846
Wii - 63,618
PSP - 34,505
PS3 - 20,676
PS2 - 16,192
X360 - 5,210
GBM - 953
GBASP - 843
GameCube - 347
DS - 153
GBA - 40

US

Wii - 436,000
PS2 - 299,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GCN - 34,000p

This is something the Xbox 360 is still unable to do? BTW, before you mention price remember this... The PS2 is the dominant last gen system which is still selling well, much cheaper than the Wii, and yet the Wii outsold it significantly.

Well Wii is not only priced reasonably, but it is also a new thing in the market and thus little bit more exciting than PS2, and it would be foolish to just ignore the price of X360, as it still matters. Regardless Wii is selling very well and it has been talked about and certainly everybody knows that, some people have the feeling that the success might not last, but everybody is agreeing that it is selling very well right now.

bah its expected and common sense thast why no one is talking about it. PS3 sells around as good as the PS2 too. Still not surprising

The PS2 is basically old news and it has already been saturated on every major region. To see that it's still selling fine speaks a lot for itself.

We collectively were too busy celebrating and dancing over how the PS3 was outsold by another competitor (in the US).
Readykilowatt said:
This is something the Xbox 360 is still unable to do? BTW, before you mention price remember this... The PS2 is the dominant last gen system which is still selling well, much cheaper than the Wii, and yet the Wii outsold it significantly.
As has been mentioned, the market is almost saturated with PS2s. Hence just about now ... no, wait, rather late last year, to ride the xmas spike, would have been an optimal time to switch over to a new generation ;)

Nothing right now can match the levels of demand the Wii is seeing. The Wii audience is simply much larger than the PS2's audience. It not just adresses, but actually reaches a much wider demographic. There's no way the PS2 can compete with that now.

I think you have to ask yourself how much the 360 or ps3 would be selling if they were essenetially 199 in the USA. (Which, with a free game, the Wii basically is).

Clearly the wii has used innovation to counterbalance the technological shortcomings to position itself as a 'comparable' product to the other two in the public's eyes. Personally, i am not sold on the wii redefining home entertainment just yet. Its trendy right now but the price cannot be ignored as a major factor, and perhaps THE major factor, as to why it is selling so well.

Before long the 360 core will start to creep down near that pricing territory, and if it is marketed and rebundled properly (wireless and a token 64MB memory card), should make for an interesting comparison.

Potential

I think Wii, if properly nurtured, will outsell ps2 lifetime.

The hardware is cheap to manufacture which means less pressure from N to generate profit elsewhere, potentially allowing:
-Surprise exclusives
-Sweetheart royalty/license fee deals
-Advertising domination
-Value packins
-indefinite price advantage

The only thing Nintendo needs to worry about is being left out of the loop on popular franchises. Even if they will be late currently, they need to get the best of the best 3rd party games on their system asap. Announce the support soon/now, and provide the goods later. I'm looking at GTA4, MGS4, FF13, DQ, etc. As long as devs are porting from xb360/ps3 => Wii, instead of ps2 => Wii the results will be ok. However without this support it could stampe out the positive hype they've earned up to this point. Have devs trade graphics for user input like Madden did. Sure it doesn't look as nice, but it controls completely different. This gives the system and it's owners reason to buy the game on Wii and potentially be Wii only gamers. In some cases, multiconsole gamers would buy the "same game" twice.

Nintendo needs to mortgage a bit of their future by securing at least equal 3rd party support of the big franchises and perhaps even exclusivity on a surprise big hit or two.

I think Wii, if properly nurtured, will outsell ps2 lifetime.

The hardware is cheap to manufacture which means less pressure from N to generate profit elsewhere, potentially allowing:
-Surprise exclusives
-Sweetheart royalty/license fee deals
-Advertising domination
-Value packins
-indefinite price advantage

The only thing Nintendo needs to worry about is being left out of the loop on popular franchises. Even if they will be late currently, they need to get the best of the best 3rd party games on their system asap. Announce the support soon/now, and provide the goods later. I'm looking at GTA4, MGS4, FF13, DQ, etc. As long as devs are porting from xb360/ps3 => Wii, instead of ps2 => Wii the results will be ok. However without this support it could stampe out the positive hype they've earned up to this point. Have devs trade graphics for user input like Madden did. Sure it doesn't look as nice, but it controls completely different. This gives the system and it's owners reason to buy the game on Wii and potentially be Wii only gamers. In some cases, multiconsole gamers would buy the "same game" twice.

Nintendo needs to mortgage a bit of their future by securing at least equal 3rd party support of the big franchises and perhaps even exclusivity on a surprise big hit or two.

:LOL: This one of the most laughable posts I've seen for a while. Let's just say, the Wii has a looooooooooooooong ways to go.

Looking at the performance of the N64, PS1, PS2 and the DC over their lifetime, one could reason that initial performance of any console isn't enough to predict its ability to perform over a generation.

You could talk about lots of things ... like how many Wii buyers may have a PS2 already. ;) Or that the PS3's the biggest sales in terms of consumer money spent. Or how in Japan the DSL sells more than all others combined. Etc. ;)

But I'd be very surprised if the Wii turns out to have the stamina to reach the PS1. If it does match it, it will have to do so in a much shorter time-frame, I think. But who knows? I certainly wouldn't rule it out - I've seen weirder things happening. ;)

:LOL: This one of the most laughable posts I've seen for a while. Let's just say, the Wii has a looooooooooooooong ways to go.

Yeah I know, it's been six days for me:LOL:

...As for Wii, it's impressive in the sense that PS2 is impressive, which is to say it hardly matters at all...

...whereas all of it's opposition's problems are more or less permanent (no next-gen media, no built-in HDD, etc.) ...

...I still expect a PS3 victory when its all said and done...
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=932820&postcount=37

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited the thread title to make the topic clear to all.
Without having to read the thread first, that is. ;)

Japan

US

its obvious. most people have a ps2, most people don't have a wii. market for current gen is only about 5-10% saturated in my point of view, whereas last gen marekt seems to be somewhere near 95-98% saturated.

i believe noones talking about the wii here on these forums, cause the majority of ppl here tend to be ps3 + xb360 supporters, ie they dont want to hear about this upstart.

price is not really a factor, i know ppl tend to say cheap is good (which of course is true) but is certainly not the most important thing, as this argument can be destroyed with the data
whats selling much better?
the $499 or the $599 ps3? answer $599 by a big margin
the $299 or the $399 xb360? answer $399 by a big margin

desirability is the most important thing for a console, since the launch of the wii here in nz its been in the newspaper a few times, wii craze, fitness benefits etc, contrast this with the media about ps3 (only mentioned it will launching soon) or the xb360 ( new console launched )

personally im surprised the ps2 is still selling in such large quantities, whos buying them? ( i expect a large percentage are ppl whos old ones are broken + want to keep playing the games )

price is not really a factor, i know ppl tend to say cheap is good (which of course is true) but is certainly not the most important thing, as this argument can be destroyed with the datawhats selling much better?

the $499 or the $599 ps3? answer $599 by a big margin
the $299 or the $399 xb360? answer $399 by a big margin

You do realize there is a much greater amount of $599 PS3 made and X360 premiums made then "core" models of each. I don't know the exact ratio but it's a signifigant amount.

( i expect a large percentage are ppl whos old ones are broken + want to keep playing the games )

Raises hand for fiances that just broke this weekend and is shocked that not only is the thing still selling for $130 retail, but used is $90-120. :oops:

I tried reasoning with her to use the cash towards a Wii instead but to no avail ... she still hasen't finished FF12 or KH2.:cry:

Raises hand for fiances that just broke this weekend and is shocked that not only is the thing still selling for $130 retail, but used is $90-120. :oops:

I tried reasoning with her to use the cash towards a Wii instead but to no avail ... she still hasen't finished FF12 or KH2.:cry:

Why don´t you just buy her a PS3 while you still have the complete hw emulation in the US PS3, after all she is your fiance.

Don´t be such a cheap prick! ;)

HA! She'd kill me if I spent that much on a console! Even if it was for her. ;)
You bought a 360 didn´t you? If you can find a 20 GB box, it´s not that big difference, especially if you consider it contains a complete PSTwo á $130, I am sure you can talk her into it.

But you might as well wait until the BC list for the European version is published and see if her favourite games are on that list, if they are, then you are not in such a hurry, because when the new cost reduced SKU hits US (whenever it does) the BC will probably be at least as good as that.

I mean you could possibly wait for a price drop, if she can wait that long that is. ;)

This is such a great oppurtunity for you to get an alibi for getting a PS3, even though you are kind of giving an image of not being particulary fond of the Playstation brand, you probably are very curious about the PS3 and would like to explore it hands-on. :smile:

Back