Why doesn't my DVD Burner burn at max speed?

Redeemer

Newcomer
Just bought a NEC ND-3520A Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive (IDE) OEM. It's suppose to burn CD-R's at 48x, but when I put in a HP 80min 52x CD-R, it only burns at max 32x.

I am using Nero 6.

P4 540 3.2
1024 Cosair XMS 3200
OC 6800 GT
Etc.

Are you writing data all the way across to the edge of the disc? CD/CDRs can only meet their maximum speeds at the edge of the disc where rotational speed are the fastest.

Also most writing drives carry a list of writing strategies developed by the manufacturer for different discs. The drive reads some data off the blank disc, and matches it to the write strategy in the BIOS. You may need to update your drive BIOS to get the latest strategies.

Some of the newer drives can (if there is no match) develop their own strategies or vary the laser power, otherwise they use a default strategy. Bear in mind that DVD writers never seem to be as good at writing CDRs as a dedicated CDR writer - they are optimised to write DVDs first and foremost.

It's possible that your drive just doesn't like those discs very much (there can be a lot of variation in disc quality) and the drive manufacturer has opted to drop the speed in order to make slow, good copies, rather than fast coasters.

Thank you, I have updated my bios just last week. Maybe my burner doesn't like the media.

Your help is appreciated thanks

Nero determins the max speed by some kind of internal "magic" when you insert an empty disk and mostly slows down all but the very best CDR's/DVDR's in order to reach what the SW considers best burning quality. That's nothing unusual there.

I believe it can also be the speed of your HD. If Nero is thinking that your HD isn't 'fast enough' it might not burn at your drive's full capability.

In the end, I doubt it matters much as the difference in time is maybe a minute or so (total guess).

Ty said:
I believe it can also be the speed of your HD. If Nero is thinking that your HD isn't 'fast enough' it might not burn at your drive's full capability.

In the end, I doubt it matters much as the difference in time is maybe a minute or so (total guess).

Your Hard Drive is faster than than the fastest DVD burners by a few times...and faster than CD-R burning (even at 52x) by about 5x to 15x depending on if you have the fastest Hard Drive or an ancient ATA-33 drive.

So your suggestion Ty sounds irrational and illogical to me...but then again mixing software and hardware does produce crazy results at times that defy all reason.

Tahir said:
Your Hard Drive is faster than than the fastest DVD burners by a few times...and faster than CD-R burning (even at 52x) by about 5x to 15x depending on if you have the fastest Hard Drive or an ancient ATA-33 drive.

So your suggestion Ty sounds irrational and illogical to me...but then again mixing software and hardware does produce crazy results at times that defy all reason.

Do you have Nero? I do. There is a test option you can run and it will simulate a burn. Once in awhile the test will tell me my HD is too slow and thus it will burn at a slower speed. I do NOT know if that is the issue here but obviously (at least for me) it happens.

IS your hardrive and burner on the same channel ?

I used to have both dvd rws on one channel and both my hardrives on the other. I've now mixed and matched it as i would only be able to write at 24x from dvd drive to another when they were on a single channel , now i can burn at 52x and on dvd-dvds i can hit 8x (my dvdrs are only 8x capable as they were 100 for 15 at bestbuy haha)

I recently flashed My two DVD burners (NEC 2500A, 3500AG) and this enabled them to burn at higher rates with the blank DVDs I have.

It's actually kind of irritating that this is the approach used. It seems kind of foolish to have to do a hardware flash to enable new media to work at full speed.

Anyway, I'm happily burning at 8x on both drives.

Steve

Windfire said:
I recently flashed My two DVD burners (NEC 2500A, 3500AG) and this enabled them to burn at higher rates with the blank DVDs I have.

It's actually kind of irritating that this is the approach used. It seems kind of foolish to have to do a hardware flash to enable new media to work at full speed.

Anyway, I'm happily burning at 8x on both drives.

Steve

It's all to do with updated write strategies and blank media codes as new media is coming out all the time (especially for Dual Layer). To get new strategies, you need updates from the manufacturer.

AFAIK, only the new Plextor 716 actually has the capability of developing it's own strategies on the fly for media it has no info on, but people are still having mixed success with it.

There are hacked firmwares for a lot of drives that enable higher speeds, but you probably sacrifice writing quality if the manufacturer knows you need lower speeds to get a decent write.

the HDD in my computer has a minimum transfer rate of 33MB/sec and a max of 56MB/sec. I have a 48X writer and I am quite sure that since my HDD is the only device on the primary controller and my Burner has it's own IDE controller (a promise Ultra 100) that in my case my HDD can easily keep up with my burner. a 48x burner can on ly write at a max of 7.2MB /sec.

I have nero 5 and media that is rated at 24x and nero correctly detects this as the max speed to burn at. I have used media rated at 48x and nero will burn as fast as my writer will write the data

This is precisely due to the different write strategies employed by NEC for various media. Different firmware will have updated/different write strategies. Usually the latest firmware does best. If a disc is not recognized, a default write strategy is employed. This has given birth to the hacked firmware & DIY swapping of write strategies crowd... Unfortunately, different batches of the same brand of media can behave differently, and some media is downright poor quality. Your best bet is to change media if you want to burn at max speed, or risk a low quality burn if you force a higher burn speed. Check out RPC1.ORG & CDFreaks forums for more info.

Call me crazy, but i think the problem is in the media.
I've got a DVD burner and certain brand of 4X DVDs only write at 2X and some at full speed.
With regards to CDs, it's all a guessing game.
The best media in my opinion, from personal experience, is Verbatim.

london-boy said:
I've got a DVD burner and certain brand of 4X DVDs only write at 2X and some at full speed.

Crazy, sometimes you talk a lot of sense. Yeah I know it is a rare occurence but well done lad. :D

london-boy said:

A lot of that depends on if the manufacturer of your DVD drive has the ID of the blanks and has a preset strategy in the BIOS for dealing with them in a specific way. Even if your disks are rated at a given speed, they will be written at the speed determined by the manufacturer in the BIOS.

Tahir said:
london-boy said:

Crazy, sometimes you talk a lot of sense. Yeah I know it is a rare occurence but well done lad. :D

Aww thanks!! :oops:

A lot of that depends on if the manufacturer of your DVD drive has the ID of the blanks and has a preset strategy in the BIOS for dealing with them in a specific way. Even if your disks are rated at a given speed, they will be written at the speed determined by the manufacturer in the BIOS.

Yeah... And another thing, what's with the writing of the disc details on the CD/DVD itself?? I mean, when i make a CD/DVD, i need to write whatever it's on it, i don't think anyone wants to know it's a "SUPER ADVANCED 4X-8X COMPATIBLE WITH SPECIAL NEXT GENERATION EPRWHATEVER TECHOLOGY ETC ETC"... Know what i mean? ;)

london-boy said:
Yeah... And another thing, what's with the writing of the disc details on the CD/DVD itself?? I mean, when i make a CD/DVD, i need to write whatever it's on it, i don't think anyone wants to know it's a "SUPER ADVANCED 4X-8X COMPATIBLE WITH SPECIAL NEXT GENERATION EPRWHATEVER TECHOLOGY ETC ETC"... Know what i mean? ;)

Then just buy discs with blank top surfaces, or even better, white printable sufaces - no more expensive, and lots of white space to scribble on.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:

Then just buy discs with blank top surfaces, or even better, white printable sufaces - no more expensive, and lots of white space to scribble on.

Yeah but usually, u can't see the top surface before buying them, so i went out and bought these Samsung discs, white top, but the lower half is basically unusable cause it's got all this "cool looking" disc details, how good they are, how high quality the are... meh... :devilish:

london-boy said:
Yeah but usually, u can't see the top surface before buying them, so i went out and bought these Samsung discs, white top, but the lower half is basically unusable cause it's got all this "cool looking" disc details, how good they are, how high quality the are... meh... :devilish:

I buy my discs from here, where they tell you what you are getting.

Back