Why does claudio sanchez use a twelve string double neck guitar?

nintenho

Veteran
doppelR.jpg

I...I...just don't get it.

I guess you wonder why he needs another 6-string when he has already 12 ?
The 12-string is played like a regular 6-string guitar, but it sounds different.

macabre said:
I guess you wonder why he needs another 6-string when he has already 12 ?
The 12-string is played like a regular 6-string guitar, but it sounds different.
What's different? Is the second neck tuned differently? I can understand a four and six string guitar if you can actually play it.

The twelve-string is tuned differently and also produces a different sound (since the pairs of strings are also tuned differently on a 12-string). Also, the 12-string won't let you bend strings like a normal 6-string. So there's use for both, don't worry :)

_xxx_ said:
The twelve-string is tuned differently and also produces a different sound (since the pairs of strings are also tuned differently on a 12-string). Also, the 12-string won't let you bend strings like a normal 6-string. So there's use for both, don't worry :)
Okay. It seems stupid since he only uses it for one song.

nintenho said:
What's different? Is the second neck tuned differently? I can understand a four and six string guitar if you can actually play it.

On a 12 string, you have strings doubled up. So you have two E's, two A's, two D's, two G's, two B's, and two E's. The additional string is a very light gauge string thats one octave higher.

When you fret a note, you actually are fretting two strings at once. Since one string is one octave higher, the sound is "fuller".

The downside with a 12 string is that it's harder to play and pretty much impossible to bend notes.

Brimstone said:
On a 12 string, you have strings doubled up. So you have two E's, two A's, two D's, two G's, two B's, and two E's. The additional string is a very light gauge string thats one octave higher.

When you fret a note, you actually are fretting two strings at once. Since one string is one octave higher, the sound is "fuller".

The downside with a 12 string is that it's harder to play and pretty much impossible to bend notes.
Ah, I see.

Brimstone said:

The high E and B are two same pairs, not an octave higher.

Back