Whoah, skillz improved by absence from game!

Guden Oden

Legend
For the first time in months, I decided to play a round of Geometry Wars, and not only broke my own personal record (by a considerable margin) and scored 490,440 (soo close to 500K, gah!), but also unlocked the 'survive 250,000' achievement totally without even trying lol.

So thusly, I cheer 3 times for myself. :D

And besides, GW still rocks. Has anyone made that game drop frames btw? I know you need at least a million points for the action to reach maximum intensity.

Also, I note that background downloads continue while playing games. Or they do while playing XBL games anyway, I'm sure I read somewhere that downloads were supposed to be suspended during gameplay... Anyway, great news. :) I'm totally not complaining.

lol, congrats man!

I had a similar experience but fell 215 points shy of 600,000, and got the 'survive 250,000' achievment aswell. My previous high was something like 400,000.

Being proud of my new high, i checked out the leaderboard and decided to check out the highest score 'out there' and i was in shock, i expected it to be around 10 mil but it's actually 123 million :oops:

Stillmatic said:
Being proud of my new high, i checked out the leaderboard and decided to check out the highest score 'out there' and i was in shock, i expected it to be around 10 mil but it's actually 123 million :oops:
Do the numbers go that far? Eventually after you play Geometry Wars enough you realize the "skill" is all in your head. You have to have a really fast right thumb. I think my high score is 300,000. I heard the way to get really good at it was to turn off the music, keep turning counter-clockwise, and watch gameplay videos of people who get millions and millions. I never tried that because I never really cared but if you want to show off...

Stillmatic said:

hehe there's still room for improvement, then :LOL:

They should have a "replay" mode. Geez, I wanna see how the person got 123 million. Ridiculous. :oops:

I can definitely testify that turning off the music is the way to high scores. Not only does it become annoying and distracting, you can't hear enemy spawns properly either while it's playing.

HEARING when those horseshoe bastards appear is very helpful as you know when to start dodging sideways more to be able to shoot around their shields and stuff.

I don't know why circling counter-clockwise would be more helpful than going the other direction tho, enemies turn left just as quickly and easily as they turn right. Must be a placebo thing I guess. :p

Anyway, 123 MILLION. Crazy. How do you check the top score btw? I am at place 44.000 or something on the score chart, I can't be bothered to click left bumper that many times to reach the top... Do I need to go to the XBL website or something maybe?

Not got the game (I will do shortly after reading this thread though) but in most of the live games, you can cycle through the scoreboards for your position, the top positions and you relative to friends by pressing a button, possibly X, or one of the bumper buttons or triggers.

On the topic of skillz in games though, that happens to me too, i'm a bit of a project gotham fan, and after a reasonable stint on PGR3, i went back to PGR2 on the Xbox, and i was actually still pretty good, i won my first race against good opponents and set my second fastest time ever round the nurburgring with no trouble at all

Guden Oden said:
Anyway, 123 MILLION. Crazy. How do you check the top score btw? I am at place 44.000 or something on the score chart, I can't be bothered to click left bumper that many times to reach the top... Do I need to go to the XBL website or something maybe?

When in the Leaderboard menu you just use 'X' to cycle through your score ranked against your friends list, your score ranked in the world, and then once again to check out the top 10.

Guden Oden said:
Also, I note that background downloads continue while playing games. Or they do while playing XBL games anyway, I'm sure I read somewhere that downloads were supposed to be suspended during gameplay... Anyway, great news. :) I'm totally not complaining.

Downloading only stops when playing online games...

Back