Cache: 1MB L2
Screen Size: 15.4"
RAM: 512MB DDR
Hard Drive: 80GB 4200RPM
Optical Drives: DVD +/- RW & CD-RW Combo Drive
Product Weight: 3.4 kg
Graphics: Up To 64MB Shared
Average Battery Life: Up To 2.25 Hours

i'll be using it for college and playing movies. maybe a little gaming too.

i'm using it for school and to watch DVD's. and hopfully play a game here or there(age of mythology:titans and world of warcraft)

makaveli87 said:
i'm using it for school and to watch DVD's. and hopfully play a game here or there(age of mythology:titans and world of warcraft)

Well if you're only using it for the internet, doing ur homework, play DVDs and maybe play some not-so-demanding games, go cheap.

london-boy said:
Well if you're only using it for the internet, doing ur homework, play DVDs and maybe play some not-so-demanding games, go cheap.

but there both the same price, or do you mean get something cheaper?

makaveli87 said:
but there both the same price, or do you mean get something cheaper?

If they cost the same i'd definately go with the first one, it's much lighter and the battery seems to be a bit better. And the graphics looks a bit better too.
I'm not sure about the CPU - haven't been keeping up with Laptop CPUs lately, i only know that the Pentium M os GOOD - but i'm sure you'll be fine.

ok thanks for the help, my concern with the compaq was the cpu. i dont know how well the AMD would compare to the P4.

makaveli87 said:
ok thanks for the help, my concern with the compaq was the cpu. i dont know how well the AMD would compare to the P4.

Honestly i don't know either. Try finding comparisons online. I'm sure you'll be fine anyway, considering you don't need a so-called portable desktop (or whatever they call big bulky laptops that are almost as powerful as normal desktop).

london-boy said:
Honestly i don't know either. Try finding comparisons online. I'm sure you'll be fine anyway, considering you don't need a so-called portable desktop (or whatever they call big bulky laptops that are almost as powerful as normal desktop).

ok i'll try doing that. thanks.

lol
I'll be picking one up tomorrow, so far i'm leaning more towards the compaq.

Last edited by a moderator:
If these two are your only options, DON'T GO WITH THE PENTIUM 4!

This thing's a Prescott and sucks upwards of 90W during full operation, a.k.a. something you really don't want to sit on your lap. Also, with the old Intel integrated graphics core, you can pretty much write off anything 3D.

On the other hand, the Turion takes up to 35W, it's essentially an Athlon64 @ 1.6 GHz, not exactly great, but no slouch either. The screen size would put me off, though. I can't stand those tiny screens, I didn't even know 14" were still in production in regular sized notebooks.

Anyways, it's all about your budget, I guess. I personally wouldn't go for either.

If i had to choose, i would definately go for the turion - it will probably shine in the gaming area, especially as it's got the X200 in it. Not to mention the fact that turion 64s are rated at 25-35W TDP which is more economic than the Intel PressHot rated at 90W :)

However the Intel PressHot would probably be better than the turion for multitasking but i can't confirm this :)

makaveli87 said:
what would you recommend?

Well, personally, I'd got with a mid-range Centrino (that is, Pentium M 740 [1.73 GHz] or 750 [1.86 GHz]), and depending on your need for long battery life and 3D gaming performance either opt for the integrated Intel GMA950 or a GeForce Go 6600 / Mobility Radeon X700.

Also, you might wanna weigh your options with the HDD, and opt for a smaller 5400 rpm rather than a big, but slower 4200 rpm one. Than again, these also produce more heat, and can actually be louder, if done wrong.

Ideally you should have access to the notebook before you decide. There's nothing like feeling the keyboard or judging the display for yourself. Displays wary widely, in resolution (1280x800, 15,4" would be my personal minimum as far as full-sized notebooks are concerned), contrast and viewangle. Some have better backlights and can therefore be worked on outside, others are so dim that they prove hard on the eyes even in a well-lit room.

Also, noise can be quite different even amongst notebooks with similar features and performance, personally, I'm a sucker for silence, so a contiously revving fan is a no-go for me. A good design shouldn't need a fan for 2D work or watching a damn movie.

As you see, there are a lot of things to consider when buying a notebook, in fact, I think its quite a bit harder vs. chosing & building a normal desktop PC. And there're probably places around the web much more adapt to helping you out with your choice.

Personally, I've chosen to wait just a little while longer, for dual-core Pentium M 'Yonah' and 90nm mobile GPUs to arrive. (H1/06)

He could get a faster turion as well (1.6 is the bottom right?).

I got an hp laptop like the one he mentioned (compaq =hp) and it was $690 though I skimped on memory as I can put it in later.

I actually really like mine though it was the perfect balance for what I need. And it has a 12cell battery which is handy as I have yet to worry about running low on battery life.

What the price of the notebooks? I might be able to find a better one for the same price or just a little more.

EDIT
sorry, you did post a price

Last edited by a moderator:
Back