What's reality?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Seriously isn't reality something we make up?
Everyone makes things up, that way it's easier to become a professional at everything.

a biochemical reaction is our perception of 'reality'. what reality is, no one knows for sure. we could all be in a trance, standing in a mudhole for all we know.

it you try a drug or two, you'll know that perception can be altered, whether it's going more towards truth or not, isn't known for sure, except by frauds.

Reality is the thing that bitch slaps you when you get out of college with your oh so precious Computer Science degree. ;)

Nite_Hawk

I'm not getting my Comp Sci & Maths degree for a job.
I'm doing it because I love Comp Sci & Maths.

You don't get degrees from college.
Children go to college.

Nite_Hawk said:
Reality is the thing that bitch slaps you when you get out of college with your oh so precious Computer Science degree. ;)

Nite_Hawk

Who else am I going to talk to? :cry:

"The question is ill-defined."

Why?
Everyone's complaining that everyone else need to get their head out of their ass and come back to reality.

I just went to the dictionary to find out what reality is.
http://www.answers.com/reality&r=67

"The quality or state of being actual or true."

So does this come down to mathematical proof?

Reality is the every day things you do, or not do. It is as you see it, and I personally believe we all see it different. I often times wonder if what I see has blue you see as my yellow and etc, or what I hear as loud you hear as quiet.

It's ill-defined because it lacks context. Asking what's real is too unspecific:

Are you asking in an objectivist, realist, or anti-realist? Fundamentally, you are asking a philosophical question.

For example, some people will hold that electrons exist independently of us.

Other people will hold that electrons do not exist, but that a phenomena that we label as "electron" exists, which we *model* with certain equations.

Still others will deny even that, and hold that the phenomena itself doesn't exist outside human observation.

I hold that there are physical universals that exist independent of human thought, but we as humans cannot know their true nature, we may only model them in our minds using approximations. The approximations *aren't real* They allow us to make predictions of real phenomena, but the model itself doesn't necessarily bear any resemblance to the true nature of the modeled object. (e.g. consider the many different interpretations of Quantum Mechanics. All produce predictions that agree with experimental evidence, but all produce radically different interpretations of what's "real"ly going on. )

As Morpheus said, for us, what's real is what we perceive, what we think and feel. But just because our brains are modeling something, and that there isn't neccessarily one true model, doesn't mean that *thought creates reality*. Clearly, there is something universal being modeled, else no two human beings who evolved separately would come up with the same models, but in fact, we can and do agree on a wide range of universals (existence of gravity, color, temperature, et al)

So, to answer your question, reality exists, but is ultimately unknowable. Reality, as it exists in human thought, is a mental construction, that gets better overtime, a map approximating the physical world, and we get by very well with it.

Ultimately, all we have are concepts that we can communicate to one another, but concepts and true reality are disjoint. The map is not the territory.

Metaphysics is not exactly a light forum topic. Scholors have been trying to answer your question for thousands of years.

Descartes answer was good enough for me. cogito ergo sum.

Reality is pure interaction and relationship. The particles that compose your body don't exist, save for how they interact with the world around you. Despite what some monks say, it's not what you think, but what you do that matters. Fortunitly, what you do is dependant on what you think, so if you cover that base you cover the other.

I like to think of conciousness, and the soul, as a sort of self perpetuating interaction, not unlike light. Light is the combination of an electric and magnetic wave fused together, the one perpetuating the other. One of the only true perpetual motion machines. Likewise, I see the mind and soul as a similar flux of interaction. However, if we don't maintain that interaction, it and thereby, us, will fizzle into nothingness.

Fortunitly, we have our bodies to carry our minds for now, with our blunders and mishaps, but after death there is no such support. I think there's no reason the soul and mind can't survive onward, but only if we die in a state of grace. A state where the soul can perpetuate ad infinitum. If a beam of light is not disturbed it will "live" forever. Who's to say the same doesn't apply to the mind?

That's what I think at least, and it's served me reasonably well.

What's the purpose of metaphysics when we can describe everything in terms of numbers and formula (IE: Physics, Quantum mechanics, etc...)?

K.I.L.E.R said:
What's the purpose of metaphysics when we can describe everything in terms of numbers and formula (IE: Physics, Quantum mechanics, etc...)?

In that case I suggest you'll read some of the quantum philosophers (meaning information theorists & quantum physicist with a philospohical background): Top choice is probably Michael Redhead: Incompleteness, Nonlocality and Realism - A Prolegomenon to the Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics, Clarendon Press Oxford
It's really good book, I can only recommend it. Unfortunately, it is out of print ATM. However, it can be obtained by abebooks.com, etc. But be warned this one involves calculations and its reader should be well versed in quantum mechanics.

Can't anyone explain all the stuff in a few paragraphs?
I haven't even finished my OpenGL book and that's giving me diarrhea as it is. :???:

Back