What to buy to make my pc into a DVR

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Okay , I have windows 7 professional , quadcore q9550 @3.8ghz 8 gigs of ram , 1 1TB western digital caviar balck , 1 2TB wd green drive , 1 60 gig vertex , 1 120 gig vertex 2 and a radeon 6970 2GB oh and a x-fi forte.

I have tivo but they want $12 a month for it and I'm getting tired of playing it. What do I need to turn my pc into a dvr . Is media center good enough and are there any really good capture devices ?

What provider do you subscribe to? Is it Dish, DirecTV, AT&T UVerse or Cable?

If it's cable and you have several digital or high-def channels or premium channels then you will need to rent a cable-card relatively cheap ($2 - $6) from your provider to be used with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 quad-tuner card ($400).

I would buy Paracetomol.
Not a troll post, just that it can be a nightmare getting the setup right and then the "software upgrade" itch hits and everything breaks (e.g. a driver update for your graphics card.)

However to try and be a bit more constructive, what are your requirements?

How many streams do you want to be able to record at once?
Do you want to watch different content at the same time?
Is it cable/satellite/freeview (i.e. who is "they" and tivo - I guess that is cable?)
Do you want HD support?
HD audio required?
What is your budget? There is some seriously high end gear for PC's out there if you are inclined that way.

Oh and how come you have TWO SSD drives in your PC?

Good luck.

Unfortunately a lot of that kind of kit has become worthless in the US as Over the Air broadcasts and cable providers have moved away from analog NTSC signals and gone with ATSC or Encrypted QAM, hence the need to lease a cable-card to do the decryption if using Cable.

I'm on cablevision and currently have a cablecard for my tivo .

I would like to be able to record 2 hd streams at once. I'd also like to be able to burn recorded stuff to disc as mpeg4 files or something. But i'd mostly like to be abvle to stream them to my cell phone or my laptop when i'm away

my gf got me the vertex 2 it wsa priced wrong at microcenter and was only $120 bucks which i think is what the 60 gig was supposed to sell at. So it was a nice christmas gift

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now that Ceton product is the only product available to deal with cablecards. It'll be able to record 4 streams at once regardless of being SD or HD.

The only other product that's supposed to be able to deal with cablecard has no set date for even the first round of beta releases and offers only 3 streams., it's from SiliconDust.

I haven't looked into how to setup streaming TV/Cable conten yett, as I'm working on DVD/HD-DVD/BluRay media for now, but you should find several topics on the matter over at the AVS Forums.

I agree with Tahir: I've experimented with it for my former job, and it's a pain to get such a setup to run reliable. Windows Media Center is quite stubborn about it as well, as it tries to only support the things allowed by the content providers in it's database.

A MythTV derivative is much easier to set up and use, and that's what most of those 3rd party media boxes use. It allows you to record and watch just about any video content, in a very convenient way. But that requires Linux.

Thanks for the information , this sounds alot more expensive than simply getting a tuner card for my pc and using that . I will have to look into it alot more

Yeah, there's nothing cheap about it, which is why I'm still paying money to the cable provider for their DVR Service and Box. The return cost on investment is around 2 years in my case. :(

I'm a bit surprised seeing that TV tuners for PC with decryption support are so rare in the US, when "comparable" DVB tuners with CI/CAM-modules are reasonably cheap and widely available in Europe.

Is it simply that the early generation of PVRs like TiVo and their ilk never got traction here (and in many countries the cable/satellite providers where dog slow introducing their options too), so that when signals started transitioning to DVB from analog there was a pent up demand for DYI/flexible solutions that was/is not present in the US?

I'm a bit surprised seeing that TV tuners for PC with decryption support are so rare in the US, when "comparable" DVB tuners with CI/CAM-modules are reasonably cheap and widely available in Europe.

Is it simply that the early generation of PVRs like TiVo and their ilk never got traction here (and in many countries the cable/satellite providers where dog slow introducing their options too), so that when signals started transitioning to DVB from analog there was a pent up demand for DYI/flexible solutions that was/is not present in the US?
While there is a lot of hardware available, most of it either only supports free-to-air, or requires multiple components that all have to work together.

You need to set up a card server for each channel you want to watch/record at the same time (there are some hacks, but they're unreliable). You need a decryption module for each card, and there's only one that actually works for most providers (many others might work for the current encryption used by the provider, but they tend to tweak that regularly). You need one or more tuner cards to get the amount of channels you want. And a bunch of cryptic software to make them all work together.

Most of the general and free software available are MythTV plugins or modules (which works, but requires some fiddling to set up), and most of the rest is part of a commercial solution. Which have a strict list of supported devices, providers and locations.

Of course there are all-in-one solutions, but most I looked at had some major setbacks, mostly in the support available for your specific source and provider, and for Windows Media Center. But they can work rather well in combination with (a subscription to) commercial software, if it supports that specific setup and provides the things you want.

If you use a DVB-C (cable), it isn't supported by Windows Media Center, and so the producers supply hacks that make it think it's actually a DVB-S (satellite). Unfortunately, the channels used don't match, and they're not in the provider database, so you have to set them up manually. And they tend to reset. I would really not recommend trying to use this. It might work, but more often it does not.

There are some all-in-one USB solutions, which mostly work if you use the supplied viewing software (or a MythTV plugin, if available), which often doesn't support recording very well, if at all. And they only tend to work with WMC as long as they're DVB-S and the provider and location are in the database.

So, it's hard to give an overall best solution without knowing the details, but overall a MythTV derivative is your best bet, and VERY convenient to use if you don't mind using a Linux box.

Last edited by a moderator:
While there is a lot of hardware available, most of it either only supports free-to-air.
Well, I meant tuners that sport a CI slot for a CAM-module, obviously. Not hard to find.
or requires multiple components that all have to work together.
True, but compatibility concerns is mostly about ensuring that you're buying a CAM that's supported by your service provider.
[Snip ... ]So, it's hard to give an overall best solution without knowing the details, but overall a MythTV derivative is your best bet, and VERY convenient to use if you don't mind using a Linux box.
Valid points all. Perhaps a bit too pessimistic overall, though?

While I do remember loads of hassle before I gave up on using my HTPC for a PVR (way back when), I recently helped set up a MediaPortal server that seemed to be working a breeze. This was DVB-T and a provider eager for market share, though; so a supported CAM+SmartCard was "free" with up to three more offered for cheap on the same subscription. (Obviously targeting the gazillion of "pay-tv ready" TVs sold with a CI slot, but they claim to be receiver agnostic.)

OTOH, the cable companies around here are quite anal about making things hard for people not wanting their proprietary boxes (no standalone CAMs supported, only the dedicated need apply), so I guess the moral is that the ease of getting such a setup to work is: "It depends on your service provider."

Yes, the DVB-T is far easier to get working, however no one uses it in the US.

It wasn't until recently that the cable companies and Cable Labs the certifying authority made changes to allow for OEMs to sell merely the Cable-Card Capable tuners to consumers. Before this, the entire system had to be certified which meant you had to buy an entirely new PC.

It is mandated by the FCC in the US that all cable companies provide CableCards for rental should a consumer ask for it. The downside is CableCards are 1-way only, so features like Video On Demand will not function with them nor will Caller ID. On top of that, some Cable Providers have switched over to SDV - Switched Digital Video, which mean if you're using a Cable Card Tuner you now need another device plugged into it by USB called a Tuning Adapter. Not all Tuning Adapters are created equally, so some can handle upto 4 or 6 streams, while others only handle 2 streams. This means if you want to handle 4 streams, you now need 2 Tuning Adapters in addition to your Cable Card Tuner.

The US Cable Tuner market should have been at this point 3 years ago.

There's been talks the last 2 years about another Two Way standard that would replace Cable Cards, but it's been a big flop because the Cable Media Providers would rather collect the money on STB rentals.

Right. I initially thought that the CableCard thing was pretty much analog to the CI/CAM setup with DVB-n, but I see now that it may be a bit more convoluted than that. :)

Obviously, DVB-T is also limited in terms of two way communication dependent services (though, I seem to recall providers looking to join forces with GSM providers to alleviate that), which may also explain their current "laissez-faire approach" towards user supplied equipment.

It might be worth following this product.

If the software comes together (a big if given Hauppauge's inability to deliver with the prior HD-PVR) , it would be the most flexible product. Especially if used with an HDCP stripper. You give up some video quality, though. Worth the tradeoff, IMO

Back