What table should i get for my pc?

Hoshimoto

Newcomer
Yeah its not joke, i asking what table should i buy for PC (with CRT display), i live in really small town with lack of choice so probably i order custom made, this means it can be anything i want, someone have suggestion, link or maybe photo of table you have or wanna have.
This may sound stupid but i cant think of any good design.
I thinking to maybe take big corner table like this
10012.jpg
, but want it to look as pc table and not like part of bedroom furniture and i hate pullout keybo@rd pane, though i can chane my mind about corner table if i find really decent and comfortable normal table.

What color will be good for Black PC?

My preferences:
Corner table. Definitely with CRT (to hide the depth of the monitor). But even with a flat panel, it's nice to have the desk bent around you.

The desk should be just one big flat surface.

No keyboard pullout. There's usually no space to support your arms with those.

No elevated monitor. The free space below it might be nice, but it's not worth the discomfort of separateing the keyboard and monitor.

No mini-shelfs or drawers on top of the desk. If I want extra storage space above desk level, then I'd put it high, so I keep the desk free. For instance by placing a book shelf extender on top of the desk.

PC stays under the desk. But well away from the legs.

Nothing should be in the way for the legs. Some desks have a computer or printer shelf where you're supposed to have the legs. Unless you're really, really cramped for space, that's a truly horrible solution.

Only exception to the free space for the legs is that I like a footrest.

I feel its going to be very huge table since my crt is 17" length and i need 8.5"-10" for keyboard, if not more, damn crt, guess i will have to upgrade desk if i find money for LCD one day, it just goina be to huge.
Only way to lower space i see is to use pullout keyboard pane that i hate or monitor stand with such design so my huge keyboard can fit under it, or smaller keyboard. doh.

Do you guys think drawer (with door) for case is bad for cooling?
Should i use open shelf or place case on floor?

Or of course i can get normal sized desk, but will have to use pullout keyboard pance untill i get LCD and then i can place keyb on top of desk.

P.S. this forum really lacking edit button.

Hoshimoto said:
Do you guys think drawer (with door) for case is bad for cooling?
Should i use open shelf or place case on floor?
I use both. My PC sits on the floor, my wife's PC is in a desk drawer. Both work just peachy, but I did pull the front door off the cabinet her PC is in for better airflow.

SIDENOTE: My pc gets a heck of a lot dustier faster than my wifes, so I'm thinking of getting my PC off the floor. :oops:

I gotta agree with Basic, I hate corner units because I have yet to find one that doesn't have extra cruft, like mini-shelves and all that garbage.

Otherwise, the basic principle behind them is sound -- hah, punny!

If your pc is on the floor and you want to keep it clean, either get a downy fabric softner sheet or some panty hose and make yourself a filter. If that still isn't good enough, even raising the PC two inches off the floor makes a HUGE difference in terms of the amount of dust.

Saem said:
If that still isn't good enough, even raising the PC two inches off the floor makes a HUGE difference in terms of the amount of dust.
I think I'm going to try that, build a little 3-4 inch pedestal for Bubbles to sit on. :)

I have one of these from IKEA, VERY functional and you can buy additional swing out shelves that you can attach anywhere along the left/right pillars. I have two shelves attached on the right side of my table which can be used for a printer, 2nd monitor, speakers, lamp, or anything you prefer. You can also get a light that mounts underneath the big main center shelf (the one between the two pillars). There are also magazine baskets you can get that hang on the pillars too.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=25905&langId=-1&parentCats=15600*15872*16131

PC-Engine said:
I have one of these from IKEA, VERY functional and you can buy additional swing out shelves that you can attach anywhere along the left/right pillars. I have two shelves attached on the right side of my table which can be used for a printer, 2nd monitor, speakers, lamp, or anything you prefer. You can also get a light that mounts underneath the big main center shelf (the one between the two pillars). There are also magazine baskets you can get that hang on the pillars too.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=25905&langId=-1&parentCats=15600*15872*16131

Haha, I got that same one. I love it.

Got the additional shelf, the PC shelf, and a couple of swing out arms. Good stuff. Very, very good quality for the buck.

I bought a functional corner desk from Staples. Cheap (100 bucks), large, no drawers, nothing fancy. Top is flat particle board covered with some kind of laminate, legs and backing are all sheet steel. Nice large surface - I used to have a 20" CRT on it (much bigger/deeper than a 17" monitor's - unless I'm reading wrong and that's 17" of actual depth). It was VERY basic, but very functional. It DOES have a keyboard height adjustment, but it was large enough for my keyboard plus one of those spongy (and utterly useless) wrist rests. The desk is very ... functional only. I'll see if I can take a picture of it...

I also just wanted a large surface (I needed to be able to put my laptop, plus 2 monitors (19" and 17" - now 20" LCD and 19" CRT) on it, plus have a little room for writing). It was perfect, cheap, functional and lacked extra stuff that I didn't need. Unfortunately, I don't see it on Staple's website anymore...

Ty said:
Haha, I got that same one. I love it.

Got the additional shelf, the PC shelf, and a couple of swing out arms. Good stuff. Very, very good quality for the buck.

Hehe cool. I bought mine a long time ago about 5 years ago. Back then the only differences were two slide out platforms underneath the main table and the absence of the round indentation on the center for you to sit closer. Goes to show you how functional the design is considering they're still selling it 5 years later. :smile:

Mine is white, but I wish I had the birch version which looks very nice. I use one of the swing out shelfs for a second smaller 15" monitor. They have two shelve sizes a bigger 20x20 and a smaller 10x10. I just recently bought the slideout keyboard drawer and plan on getting the undershelf mounted lights.

Basic said:
No elevated monitor. The free space below it might be nice, but it's not worth the discomfort of separateing the keyboard and monitor.
I really have to disagree on this, personally. It's much, much better for you neck to be able to look straight at your monitor. But I'm also 6'4" (something like 190cm, I think), so the monitor has to be quite high for me to be able to look straight at it, as it's also uncomfortable for me to have the chair at anything but its hightest height.

Shorter people may have other preferences. Or people that have to look at they keyboard while typing.....

PC-Engine said:
Hehe cool. I bought mine a long time ago about 5 years ago. Back then the only differences were two slide out platforms underneath the main table and the absence of the round indentation on the center for you to sit closer. Goes to show you how functional the design is considering they're still selling it 5 years later. :smile:

Mine is white, but I wish I had the birch version which looks very nice. I use one of the swing out shelfs for a second smaller 15" monitor. They have two shelve sizes a bigger 20x20 and a smaller 10x10. I just recently bought the slideout keyboard drawer and plan on getting the undershelf mounted lights.

Ah, mine is the new one (Ikea wasn't here back when you bought yours). I also happen to have the birch one.

Interesting that the older one has slide out platforms. Two shelf sizes? The swing out shelves? My two swing out shelves are 15.25 square. Did they get rid of that and move to the two other sizes then?

Nice to hear that they came out with a keyboard drawer. Or was it the generic one you're talking about (i.e. it's not made specific for the Jerker line unlike the swing out shelves that are)?

Two shelf sizes? The swing out shelves? My two swing out shelves are 15.25 square. Did they get rid of that and move to the two other sizes then?

Yeah back then they had this small swing out shelf that has a handle. As for the keyboard drawer it may be an aftermarket type I don't know. I just know the last time I was at IKEA a few weeks ago the drawer was on the display model. The one I got was from Fry's though not IKEA.

Attachments

• DSCF0065.JPG
    DSCF0065.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 5
Back