What sound cards are fully directx 9 compliant?

g__day

Regular
Apologises if this is in the wrong forum area - sound is a 3d technology but I presume most posts are video related.

I am having troubles with sounds dying 30 secs into Unreal 2 so I may upgrade my old Diamond MX300 Aureal 2 sound card. And yes under Win 2K ages ago I editted the MX300 driver to set the byte at offset 40h to FF hex to stop games from having the sound die after 30 secs.

It got me wondering what if any/all sound cards are fully directx 9 compliant - or is it simply a driver issue/challenge under directx 9?

I am presuming DX9 affects sound too and a card is either fully or partially DX9 compliant - please help if you can enlighten me!

DirectSound was not updated in DX9 so a DirectX8 compliant soundcard is automatically DirectX9 compliant. :)

Direct Sound was subtly changed from 8.1 to 9.0 according to Microsoft. I called Creative Labs Tech support today -> and they are not sure if the Audigy 2 is DX 9 compliant!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/i Features in DirectSound

The Microsoft DirectSound® API has not been significantly revised for DirectX 9.0. However, many performance enhancements have been implemented. In addition, the following changes have been made.

The maximum frequency of sound buffers has been increased from 100 kHz to 200 kHz, where supported by the operating system. (These higher frequencies are not supported by DirectShow.)
Frequency and effects controls (DSBCAPS_CTRLFREQUENCY and DSBCAPS_CRTLFX) can now be combined on buffers. Combining these flags makes it possible to have Doppler shift on buffers with effects.
Audio formats described by the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE structure are fully supported throughout DirectSound.
The standard effect DMOs can process audio data in WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT format.
The standard effects support parameter curves (when hosted outside of DirectSound) without having to call IMediaObjectInPlace::process on them repeatedly in very small increments.

New Features in DirectMusic

The Microsoft DirectMusic® API has not been significantly revised for DirectX 9.0. However, many performance enhancements have been made. The most significant of these is a new low-latency DirectSound sink, which enables DirectMusic to attain much quicker response when using audiopaths that play through the software synthesizer. A large library of DirectMusic styles has been added to the SDK, along with an application for auditioning them. In addition, two new tools have been made available in the \bin\DXUtils\AppWizard folder of the SDK installation:

DMToolWizard.awx is a wizard for creating DirectMusic tools.
AEDMOWiz.awx is a wizard for creating effect DMOs.

Ok, the API didn't change much (DS), but there was some work in the framework.
All our knew that it didn't have an impact on our program, but it can be different for the drivers.

DirectMusic API is updated, but I was talking about DirectSound.
(I never used DM and it doesn't look like I will.)

Back