What do people use for thermal paste?

Sounds like you simply have a bad cooling configuration in your case.
Eh, I wouldn't want to think so. I've 2 140mm intake fans in the front, 2 140mm exhaust in the top, another 120mm rear exhaust. All noctuas, btw. Thinking of stepping up to the industrial line, the 140mm 2000RPM series has some serious flow, but the racket would be phenomenal. Around twice as loud as the 1500RPM models, give or take.

You never answered what you ambient is. When everything's idle, what are your motherboard and CPU temps? How high is your room temp?
Guess I didn't! I don't have a good ambient thermometer, and it varies depending on temps outside and how much electrical stuff I've got running. Mainboard temp sensor says 39C according to HWMonitor, CPU package 69-70C. Case fans and CPU cooler rock bottom RPM or completely off.

If the GPUs are Crossfire'd, are they still clocking down core and mem?
The bottom GPU throttles down to about 950MHz when it hits 94C while folding. :p Top GPU doesn't throttle, it stays at about 85C. Bottom GPU might run a bit hotter than it should because of a slightly bad fan on it (sticky bearing.)

Grall, just for background which air cooler are you using with the 7900X?
Noctua NH-U14S with two fans strapped to it.

(so all cores hit the Turbo Boost 3 frequency that is 4.5GHz, some BIOS call this Multicore Enhancement)
Nah, I have that shit disabled. :D Just RAM XMP profile activated, mesh upped from 24x to 28x multiplier. That's it. Oh, and BCLK raised 1MHz, because I get OCD ticks when my cores tick at 3990 instead of 4000MHz. :p

just mentioning because as Malo says the temps your hitting is very unusual if you are using one of the top air coolers (say equivalent to D15)
Yeah, well, mine isn't quite D15 caliber perhaps, but the D15 is ludicrously large. I dunno if it would even physically fit with the RAM modules and mobo/case I have. There really isn't much margin even with the smaller U14.

and voltages stay a fair bit below 1.25V and really no more than 1.20V if possible.
VID doesn't seem to go above 1.140V with my current setup. Right now, with all cores working at ~3.7GHz VID sits at 0.965V. (+0/-0.001V). It moves around though, depending on circumstances. :p

VID doesn't seem to go above 1.140V with my current setup. Right now, with all cores working at ~3.7GHz VID sits at 0.965V. (+0/-0.001V). It moves around though, depending on circumstances. :p

And that is in the loads causing you to hit the thermal ceiling?
You sure the fans are turning on your NH-U14S :)
More seriously though you will not be able to run these in a quiet type of mode-setting, I guess 1st step is changing the thermal paste like you said and then see the behaviour.

Your CPU is 70c idle??? If your motherboard is 39c then your CPU idle be more than 10c over that.

Your CPU us 70c idle???
I think part of it is that windows is packing just about every single process it can onto one core which turbos up to max, raising average temps. Plus the low speed fans, there's not a whole lot of air circulation with fans running super slow or even off. My haswell PC ran rather warm too with fans on super slow.

If there was an issue with air circulation (your fan setup doesn't sound like it, even on slow), your motherboard temp should show it.

Back