What developer do you feel is pushing the technological envelope?

What developer do you feel is pushing the technological envelope?

• Bungie

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Epic Games

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Id Software

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Crytek

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Microsoft Game Studios

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Nintendo

• Polyphony Digital

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Kojima studios

• SCEA

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters
* Ninja Theory
- Some nice looking stuff, but haven't seen anything playable outside a little arena. Lots of potential, but they are off actually making the game so jury is out. I will note that all objects, including dynamic ones, both casting and receiving dynamic shadows looks hot, and if they get 1000s of enemies on screen, they are WAY up on my list.

Would it worry anybody it I owned up and said I don't know how many peeps we have running at the same time... As one of the principle designers of the army sections you'd think I'd know but well once we hit the 'enough' mark it kinda stopped being important.

Naughty Dog ~ There track record for pushing the PS2 is legendary, Seemless level's, 60fps, awsome animation....there games had it all.

Criterion ~ Again people that know how to handle PS2, there games were ALWAYS the new benchmarks in graphics when they were relased. Burnout 2 was perhaps one of the best looking game when it was released. But EA could now spoil things :(

Polyphony Digital ~ Well we all remember the fuss GT3's graphics got, i cried a tear the first time i saw the light filter though the tree's onto the body work.

Alot of people have voted Crytec but IMO i dont think they should be listed, there's no denying that Crysis look's truly amazing BUT i put that down to the hardware the game is being built to run on and not Crytec.

Would it worry anybody it I owned up and said I don't know how many peeps we have running at the same time... As one of the principle designers of the army sections you'd think I'd know but well once we hit the 'enough' mark it kinda stopped being important.

That would be the mark of a good developer--knowing when enough is enough. It is not like you guys said, "We will have 2,500 guys on screen at once in the final product". And even then, if some of the shadowing tech had to be dropped, but the finish product met your artistic goals, well, you would be in good company (Bungie did this). The important thing is that the gameplay meets the design goals, regardless if it is 100, or 10,000 enemies on screen. I think most of us are tired of tech demos running around as games, and more interested in technology being used in good game design. Of course my comment is based on the breath taking valley shots from E3 2005 which looked insane--tons of detailed enemies all attacking at once. There were people everywhere! And not to knock Kameo (one of the most underrated games out and a year old), while they had a huge army of trolls, they were all instances with the same limited set of looping animations and were staggered. It conveyed a troll army, but it looked like an eyesore to me.

Anyhow, looking forward to HS. All the quiet from NT means you guys are working on the final game and not a dozen demos that take away from polish and dev time. If delaying until Fall 2007 is what is needed to reach your vision and be uber polish, tell Sony that I said make it so... oh, with a raise for Marco and yourself. All the overtime on the B3D forums is definately perkworthy!

Well that's gonna screw up your marketting. How can you convince anyone how fun your game is when you can't tell anyone how big your numbers are?! :oops:

You can hire me (for free even !) to count them for you.
Just send an early copy of HS (and every one after that) my way. I promise to keep quiet. ;)

In your honest opinion, which game developer do you feel is pushing the technological bounds or envelope? Pushing the technological bound doesn’t necessarily always have to be about graphics, sound, AI, physics, ETC. It may mean character interaction, story development, controller behavior (a la Wii or Sixxis), and so fourth.

Just wondering!?

*poll coming up* :smile:

Edit: Here's the full list that I wanted...but 10 is the max allowed in the poll. :cry:
* Bungie
* Epic Games
* Id Software
* Blizzard
* Crytek
* Microsoft Game Studios
* Nintendo
* Ninja Theory
* Capcom
* Polyphony Digital
* Team Ninja
* Square/Enix
* Bioware
* SCEE London Studio
* SCEA
* EA
* Insomniacs
* Evolution Studios
* Sega
* Kojima studios
* Other

Id and Crytek for software techology graphics/physics ect...

Nintendo(SSBM,Mario,MK,Zelda,Metriod,ect,Capcom(streetfighter,DMC,MegaMan RE ect),Sega(Sonic,VF,FZ,ect) for variety,game mechanics design,balence,depth and artistic innovation.

I'm waiting to see what the team developing Killzone 3 brings to the table. Then there that company thats developing a game engine that displays its game at 1080p. I think there are going to be many new players on the graphics front this generation.

Alot of people have voted Crytec but IMO i dont think they should be listed, there's no denying that Crysis look's truly amazing BUT i put that down to the hardware the game is being built to run on and not Crytec.

Far Cry was head and shoulders above anything else out there when it was released.

Cheers

First of all, the technicalities do not matter to me when I'm playing a game. It's the overall presentation that my eyes enjoy.

Looking at what is currently in front of me, I continue to be highly impressed by Epic and Gears. Everytime I pop the game in, it's "wow!"

COD3 is another one. I have never played COD series so my introduction to COD3 was rather pleasant. Lots and lots of action going on, the frame rate stays solid and I really like the presentation. Treyarch is the dev, I believe.

Looking forward, I expect other devs to push the limits and bring me more cool games.

You can hire me (for free even !) to count them for you.
Just send an early copy of HS (and every one after that) my way. I promise to keep quiet. ;)

Trust me 'enough' means you really don't want to count them by hand :)

Trust me 'enough' means you really don't want to count them by hand :)
I hope there aren't too many enemies to where it becomes overwhelming for the player to battle them all. Reviewers may ding the game a point if that happens :cry:

* Square/Enix
- Lets see some more. e.g. Why not make an action oriented (Heavenly Sword style) RPG. Until then... Thanks, but no thanks. Ok seriously, lets see some real game footage that we know is game footage.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus.

It's a different game from Final Fantasy XIII. Versus is being made by the Kingdom Hearts team, and it will be an action oriented RPG.

I really can't wait to see what the folks at Naughty Dog have in store with their jungle game. Granted track record isn't everything, but when you have a track record like there's its hard not to be excited. I expect they'll really show the PS3's chops off as well as anyone.

I find the poll rather confusing. Bungie is a part of MGS and Polyphony is a part of Sony Worldwide Studios.
It's hard to choose one particular studio that's doing the most impressive stuff on consoles, but these studios are my favorites:
- Naughty Dog - Jak & Daxter series on PS2, E3 trailer of unnamed PS3 game
- Rare - their games always are the best looking games on platforms they develop for. Donkey Kong Country on SNES, lots of N64 games (PD, Conker, BK), Conker on Xbox, Kameo and Pinata on 360
- Ubi Montreal - Prince of Persia on last-gen consoles, Splinter Cell and Far Cry Instincts on Xbox1, GRAW on 360

Definitely Crytek as their game use effects and displays graphics that are truly next-gen. Their game should be considered as the first true next-gen game without a doubt.:D

Crytek is out of this world.

I also think that Square-Enix's White Engine is really going to start tapping into PS3's capabilities.

Back