"Watchdog" program for network PC needed...

Guden Oden

Legend
I have a rotten old AMD K6-based PC networked to my main box (thru firewire tc-pip, not that it's relevant), it runs the SETI client and I've been thinking of using it as network storage too; it has like 36GBs worth of harddrives attached to it. Not a fantastic amount these days but still 36GB...

Problem is, it has a tendency to spontaneously hang all of a sudden. I don't know if this is due to dodgy hardware (it is old, and the RAM, chipset, etc is of probably not very reliable quality), or if it's due to me running windows millennium on it (which, as we all know, was spawned from the devil's arsehole) because I'm too poor to buy another copy of XP for it.

So, I'd like a program that signals my main PC periodically, and if no such signal is received for a short period of time, my main box should alert me. Is there such a program?

Also, is there any free software out there that can make functional webpages via some kind of point-and-click interface? I don't know any html...

Well how exactly do I do that? And how do I get the script to make a decent alert signal for me?

I'd much rather run some sort of bloated software to do this for me, heheh! ;)

Guden Oden said:
Also, is there any free software out there that can make functional webpages via some kind of point-and-click interface? I don't know any html...

you could use mozilla's web page composer it's free and it's a WYSIWYG web page editor

www.mozilla.org

as for the watchdog proggy i don't know any :( , as I think I would write my own

Back