Warhawk - The GAF Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, setup a test server. GAFvsB3D-PerformanceTest, or something like that. Limited to GAF U and Beyond3d only. If you get a chance to test it out please give feedback on map rotation, server options, performance, etc.

I tried to stick with maps that were for 8 - 24 or 12 - 24 players, in order to accommodate the maximum amount for the server while also trying to keep the minimum amount for the map as low as possible.

Brilliant! I can't take a look myself (saw it too late, need sleep), but I asked the guys at GAF to give it a spin and to report back.

Cool...some organized action starting to take place. I'm up for it. Will B3D get to borrow some GAFfer's to fill our roster? I've really only ever seen deepbrown, codelogic and myself online.....but hope that this "challenge" gets a few more people to come play this awesome game with us. :cool:

Edit: Got on that server that Gradtrawn setup. I'm getting a ping of 164, not bad. If anyone is in need of any pointers or practice and see me playing....feel free to ask and I'll jump in.

I went in...it works...it said yu two were in there, but you weren't, so I had a boring time lol

I asked the guys at GAF to give it a spin and to report back.

A few comments:

From experience official servers have 100% friendly fire, it makes team mates be more carefull when using Tow's, Tanks and driving jeeps.

Non full map sized zone matches = 5000 point target no-no.
Undecided about that now, the round seemed to go quickly... but then all the zones were at level 3...

Yeah. I enjoyed the map rotation, from what I saw of it. And the 2 maps Steroyd and I played in, I liked the layouts. I think for 24 people a 5k point limit would be good for the Achipelago map we played in - and yeah, it did seem to go by fast.

The map rotation has my approval.

I'll also throw in my vote for 100% friendly fire. I really don't like that the blue servers have it turned off now, and I've been trying to stick to player and dedicated servers that have it. I do not want to get in the habit of shooting when my teammates are in the line of fire.

Oh, and no fly with flag, that would just be silly. :p

We also challenged CAG. They're aiming for 1/5 (this SAT).

Well, how about 1/6 (this SUN) for GAF VS B3D? Just a proposal ... no need to rush, if you guys need another week or something.

Invited:

refsgaard
patsu
RagedHero
suzakastar
x-QUACK-x
Scuzzlebutt33
Prophecy2k
forcebomber
xXCharlieXx
DongHungLong
KnicksRIP
conceptics-US

Need PSN name:
archangelmorph (unless it's that :) )

Some may have changed their mind, or moved on...but still do people know how to accept a clan invite - the screen doesnt exactly flash at you, it's kinda hidden.

:oops: I'm ashamed to say that I've been firmly sucked into the Resistance battlefield and have not spent much time yet on Warhawk. I have advanced very well in Resistance though and am hoping that my skill there will help me contribute to the Warhawk clan. Only issue at the moment is time for me - family from Australia is visiting today and moving on tomorrow, so I'll try to make it online tomorrow for a few practise laps. If there's still room and assistance is still wanted by then, I may be able to make it on the weekend (GF schedule might pose a threat though!).

conceptics-US out.

:oops: I'm ashamed to say that I've been firmly sucked into the Resistance battlefield and have not spent much time yet on Warhawk. I have advanced very well in Resistance though and am hoping that my skill there will help me contribute to the Warhawk clan. Only issue at the moment is time for me - family from Australia is visiting today and moving on tomorrow, so I'll try to make it online tomorrow for a few practise laps. If there's still room and assistance is still wanted by then, I may be able to make it on the weekend (GF schedule might pose a threat though!).

conceptics-US out.

I was average if not crap at Resistance...but rock at Warhawk...I've learnt the maps now, except the new one which I'm struggling with!

Give it a try....you'll have to change your thinking from Resistance though...sadly I can no longer play that game :/

Yeah. I have played a bit of Warhawk, but just never really got into it yet (play time is quite limited).

I assume the learning curve in both games is similar though (from a strategic point of view):

1.) master the controls of the game / aiming basics etc (headshots FTW)
2.) close-quarter combat
3.) learn how to use each weapon best and at the right time
4.) learn how to move strategic - not like a headless chicken
5.) master the maps - where which weapons are, ammo, hiding places etc and take advantage of them

I'd say, I'm at step 5 now in Resistance. Getting a good picture of the levels in Warhawk is going to be quite challenging as they are huge. Still have to grow accustomed to the 3rd person view and the varied gameplay by jeep, warhawk etc. I'll put up the game tonight if I get a chance and accept my clan invitation.

Now that I played thru the flood of the Nov/Dec. games I will try to get into Warhawk again...
I will have to rip off some rust, I hope I can get back into it quickly.

2.) close-quarter combat
5.) master the maps - where which weapons are, ammo, hiding places etc and take advantage of them
In my limited Warhawk experience, the major issues are -

1) Controls take a lot of getting used to. To fly a Warhawk properly takes a fair bit of skill, and without those skills you won't get time to practice as you'll keep being shot down!

2) Used this a couple of times to good effect, but its not hard. Just switch to the knife when you're close.

3) Weapons are spread around a lot, so most of the time you don't have weapons to try. Flamer is easy. Assault rifle is common. The rest are a bit hit and miss, particularly the sniper that I've never yet been in a position to bunker down and use. Whenever I've found a sniper rifle and been gazing through the site, some scallywag has shot me from nearby!

4) I hate invisible bad guys! Creeping around is mean. Actually when I've been creeping around, it tends to be without finding anyone to attack, and just sees me sit out of the fight!

5) This is the most important factor. It's easy to get lost. This needs time.

And finally, in my experience the best way to success is grab a tank and blow a few suckers up before they finally get you. Makes for very nice kill/death ratios!

A few comments:

Suggestions duly noted and I will integrate them into another test server run later today. I'll also allow team switching and auto balancing for the test run, so, if there are only a few people from the same clan around they can play against each other to test things out.

Items to Adjust:
  • Friendly Fire to 100%
  • Zone Score Limit to ?
  • Fly w/ Flag stays off
  • Switch teams enabled (for test run)
  • Force split screen on same team disabled (for test run)
  • Auto team balancing enabled (for test run)

Next Saturday would greatly increase my chance of taking part. This Monday I'm getting (sort of) married, very small scale affair, but we're having a nice dinner on Sunday and some guests will arrive in the afternoon. Of course, I'm not really important to the team. ;)

Saturday would be better, that would end up being either Saturday evening, night or Sunday morning for me (being in Europe, avg 8 hours later than US). So my vote would be for 1/13 in that case. Would also give the team some additional and probably much needed practice (as a team). When my wife no longer needs her to oversee her while sleeping on a sleeping pill (she's had some terrible sleeping issues from a cold combined with pregnancy), I'll go upstairs and see if I can hit that server and if some of you guys are online, and I'll try to boot up Warhawk a bit more often.

This Monday I'm getting (sort of) married...

Always with the excuses eh Arwin? :p

Only kidding - I meant to say congratulations.

I popped into the server the other night. There was only Jaeyden and me in there. Sorry Jaeyden, I wasn't ignoring you - I'm headset less at the minute. I was terribly British about it all and felt very rude for not (being able to!) replying.

Are we sticking with the CTF/Zones/TDM(?) formula? And if so, any pointers on Zones for me?

LOL - I figured you just didn't have a headset on. Don't be :oops:. It's the internets!

I was able to pry codelogic away from Oblivion for one minute, and he says he's in for the action.

Yeah. I have played a bit of Warhawk, but just never really got into it yet (play time is quite limited).

I assume the learning curve in both games is similar though (from a strategic point of view):

2.) close-quarter combat

I'd say, I'm at step 5 now in Resistance. Getting a good picture of the levels in Warhawk is going to be quite challenging as they are huge. Still have to grow accustomed to the 3rd person view and the varied gameplay by jeep, warhawk etc. I'll put up the game tonight if I get a chance and accept my clan invitation.

I am used to Resistance's pace and control, but if I lay off for 2 weeks, I'd get whipped by the boys there. For me, Warhawk is much more challenging to pick up because there is one more dimension to fool around, and the maps are huge. it's hard for me to be good at both games though. Am still taking my own sweet time.

I should have bought the download version (instead of the Blu-ray version). Can I install the game to HDD so that I can swap between Resistance and Warhawk easily ?

It seems CAG needs another week to sort out their clan. I, for one, wouldn't mind playing SAT and SUN, but to keep it simple let's stick to Sunday as the "main event".

Suggestions duly noted and I will integrate them into another test server run later today. I'll also allow team switching and auto balancing for the test run, so, if there are only a few people from the same clan around they can play against each other to test things out.

Items to Adjust:
  • Friendly Fire to 100%
  • Zone Score Limit to ?
  • Fly w/ Flag stays off
  • Switch teams enabled (for test run)
  • Force split screen on same team disabled (for test run)
  • Auto team balancing enabled (for test run)
Zone Score Limit to 5000. If the limit is too low, then there is very little room for comebacks.

I am used to Resistance's pace and control, but if I lay off for 2 weeks, I'd get whipped by the boys there. For me, Warhawk is much more challenging to pick up because there is one more dimension to fool around, and the maps are huge. it's hard for me to be good at both games though. Am still taking my own sweet time.

I should have bought the download version (instead of the Blu-ray version). Can I install the game to HDD so that I can swap between Resistance and Warhawk easily ?
I have very little trouble going back and forth between R:FoM and WH. I usually need 2-3 games to adjust though. I love to have those PSN gems on my HDD, it's great to boot stuff off the HDD without the need to get up and swap discs :p

B3d Clan Members: Sorted by quality of play:

Jaeyden
codelogic
Captain Deep
Hank_scorpio
Scarecrow--
Xero
Darthwarn
Sindress
Opposed
Cuttlefish
Antan
Soul
Arwin
hmizer
conceptics-US

Invited

refsgaard
patsu (Player does not exist yet...so still to be invited)
RagedHero
suzakastar
x-QUACK-x
Scuzzlebutt33
Prophecy2k
forcebomber
xXCharlieXx
DongHungLong
KnicksRIP

These two Warhawk threads are repeating each other, to the point the same posts are being copy/pasted! I'll close this one. And to be honest, I'm not sure the other thread should be continued as a Clan Discussion thread. It can stay open for invites and arranging teaming up with B3Ders, but discussion on matches and rivalries etc. should really be held on a private forum. Otherwise that invites the forum to become saturated with localised clan talk rather than open console gaming discussion.

Please see about getting a forum up and running elsewhere, or a thread at the official Warhawk forums if there is one, or some other place to hold Clan meetings. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back