W7-HP OEM install in Chinese (simplified)?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Our Chinese exchange student's hard drive crashed the night before last. Unfortunately she has no recovery or reinstallation CD. I've got her running on a new drive with Ubuntu for now, but there are a number of apps for which she needs Windows.

So the question is this: if I get her an OEM copy of Win7 Home Premium, can she choose to install it in Simplified Chinese? I know there is a one-language limit on non-ultimate versions, but I don't remember if you can choose Chinese at initial install...US copy in this case.

Thanks for any answers.

Answering my own question...I fired up VirtualBox and tried to install my own copy of W7pro and the only language choice is English. Ugh. Where to find a Chinese version? (other than China).

A couple of possibilities: MSDN, online purchase from MS, (semi) "official" ISO download link (Digital River etc.) plus retail key.

Don't majority of universities provide their students with any software they might require for free and legally?

Are you sure about that? I'm fairly certain when I was in univercity I could get pretty much anything that MS has ever created in any language straight from MSDN, though that was some 8 years ago. Also, aren't there versions of windows that support changing the used language?

Are you sure about that? I'm fairly certain when I was in univercity I could get pretty much anything that MS has ever created in any language straight from MSDN, though that was some 8 years ago. Also, aren't there versions of windows that support changing the used language?

Win7 Ultimate allows you to switch the language.
A legal copy of Win7 Home-Chinese in China runs $50.
Ultimate runs over $200.

get her to phone someone in china a pop a disk in the post

I asked MS if it wouldn't just be simpler for me to buy a copy next time I'm in Beijing (I'm there often) and the agent got miffed and said that would be illegal because I would be violating the license agreement and that Chinese versions aren't allowed to be installed on computers in the US...blah blah.

Microsoft is a turd.

Back