Viva Pinata video

Cool, but I think they're pushing for the wrong market with this. Casual and female gamers should be up front, not kids.

I think children will find Piñata unappetizing for two reasons:

1. It is a simulator at heart, which means it is all of the things that playtime isn't.
  2. There is WAY too much reading in this game. The dialogues spell out things that should be left to trial and error.

I think children will find Piñata unappetizing for two reasons:

1. It is a simulator at heart, which means it is all of the things that playtime isn't.
  2. There is WAY too much reading in this game. The dialogues spell out things that should be left to trial and error.

they want a Live enabled tamigotchi?

There are huge boxes full of text in this game!!

Even if you did put recorded audio versions of that text I'm pretty sure a 6-8 year will not be captivated by this kind of lecture.

Not to mention that if you need huge chucks of text to explain how to play the game your game is too complicated for kids.

The rewards system seems too complicated for very young children to understand. They have concepts like gardening where there is so much work and upkeep involved before you recieve any gratification for your labors.

I don't see how it's possible for this game to have been originally targeted at kids. To me it sounds like the original intent was to make a game for a older audience at least 10+ but then the marketing team had to step in.

It does look very pretty though.

Oh this is a child's game? And it's based on a tv show?

Oh. *sheepish* I was really interested in this game. I mean- I still am, but.... I didn't realize it was intended for tots.

blakjedi said:
they want a Live enabled tamigotchi?

Well ... Yeah. ;)

Every day after school, 11-year-old Tyler Gagen hurries home down the country roads of Hastings, Minnesota, to play with Buddy. "He likes hot dogs and cake," Tyler says of his pet. "I haven't brought him to the grooming parlor yet, but I will. He gets the royal treatment!" Tyler also cares for a half-Siamese tomcat, Arctic, and two cocker spaniels, Packer and Patriot. Tyler likes Buddy but says he appreciates the dogs and cat a little more because "you can actually feel them and stuff."

Buddy is a winged, wide-eyed baby dragon that lives in the online land of Neopia. Tyler "adopted" Buddy five months ago and personalized his color (green) and gender (male). Now he spends two hours a day at Neopets.com, shopping for Vonroo toys and Cornupepper soup to keep Buddy happy and healthy. With frequent exercise, he has pumped Buddy's strength from "average" to "above average." Clicking through the Flash-animated world, which is divided into theme park-style zones like Mystery Island and Terror Mountain, Tyler tries to accumulate NeoPoints, the local currency. So far he has earned 10,000 points by playing games (Wheel of Misfortune is one of his faves). When he gets another 10,000, he hopes to expand Buddy's house or maybe relocate him to a more upscale zone like Spooky Woods.

Tyler heard about the Web site from a girl named Anna down the street. He initially dismissed Neopets as "little ponies and stuff," but before long he had given up Grand Theft Auto for Faerie Paintbrushes. "Neopets is a lot wimpier," Tyler says unapologetically, "but it's fun."

A generation agrees. Neopets has a staggering 25 million members worldwide. It has been translated into 10 languages and gets more than 2.2 billion pageviews per month. These dedicated Neopians spend an average of 6 hours and 15 minutes per month on the site. That makes Neopets the second-stickiest site on the Internet - ahead of Yahoo!, MSN, AOL, and eBay, according to Media Metrix. What's more, its demographics are the stuff of marketers' dreams: Four out of five Neopians are under age 18, and two out of five are under 13.

Source: Wired Magazine, November 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I hear correct when the presenter said this game is aimed at chilren, casual gamer and female gamers?
They still have a lot to learn about the female gamers if they think female = children ;)

Cool, but I think they're pushing for the wrong market with this. Casual and female gamers should be up front, not kids.

My 4 year old daughter would disagree with you. She's only seen one episode of the TV show, but she's had me download it and the 2nd episode that she missed and watches both at least once a day. I already know that the day I bring the game home will probably be the last time for quite a while that I get to play on my 360 alone.

My 4 year old daughter would disagree with you. She's only seen one episode of the TV show, but she's had me download it and the 2nd episode that she missed and watches both at least once a day. I already know that the day I bring the game home will probably be the last time for quite a while that I get to play on my 360 alone.

You miss my point. The styling and setting might be for kids, but you have to adjust difficultly level, length of text or speech, etc. The game does not appear to be very appealing with regards to instructions length or controls and learning curve for small kids.

Trust me. After doting dad brings the game home, he will be the only one playing it! :D

In the cartoon, a charismatic cast can socialize and, more important, empathize with others. But in the game, those generic creatures do neither. For kids, this could be a deal breaker.

What's more, the game simulates gardening using a lot of meticulous steps that, quite frankly, aren't really necessary for children's entertainment. So it will probably take father and daughter hours of devoded play before they are able to entice one of the TV species to the garden.

I am going to assume that many of you with concerns about "text" in games, either do not have a GBA/DS or have failed to notice just how much text is in those kids games as well.

I'm sure the dialogue boxes were intended to be an addendum to the story. But their frequent interruption makes them detractors. :neutral:

Trust me. After doting dad brings the game home, he will be the only one playing it! :D

Don't count on it. Her two favorite games right now are Kameo and Tomb Raider, and she plays both regularly. Playing a game with the same characters and similar graphics to the TV show that she loves will be something she rarely puts down.

In the cartoon, a charismatic cast can socialize and, more important, empathize with others. But in the game, those generic creatures do neither. For kids, this could be a deal breaker.

Oh quite the opposite. The creatures in the games have personalities, and the players actions can have quite a noticalbe effect on their behavior in the game.

Plus there is always linking up gardens on Live with friends that she develops. This adds a social dimension to the game that the cartoon could never provide as multiple people can work together to cultivate their gardens and interact with their pinatas.

What's more, the game simulates gardening using a lot of meticulous steps that, quite frankly, aren't really necessary for children's entertainment. So it will probably take father and daughter hours of devoded play before they are able to entice one of the TV species to the garden.

You don't have kids, do you? My daughter will spend an hour arranging her room so that she can play with her dolls in just the right way. She'll go so far as to put on costume dresses before she plays, just so she can be wearing clothes similar to her dolls.

In otherwords, kids that age enjoy being in control of their environment as it's something they have little control over in real life. Being in control of every minor detail is an attraction to them, not a deterrent.

Back