video-deblocking

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
FullStream (Video-deblocking) - Real, divX, WM9

This is a feature of the x1800xt, what does it mean? Does the 7800 have it?

This was supposedly introduced with the R350 (or possibly even R300) chip, but since it only worked with a few select media players there wasn't much point in it really. I've not heard if the feature has been given a work-over to be more universally compatible with other media players, but since I haven't heard anything, chances are nothing much has happened since.

Yeah, I have no clue if the new Radeons support it or not, but "deblocking" is simply an attempt to smooth out the artifacts that make compressed videos look blocky.

Guden Oden said:
This was supposedly introduced with the R350 (or possibly even R300) chip, but since it only worked with a few select media players there wasn't much point in it really. I've not heard if the feature has been given a work-over to be more universally compatible with other media players, but since I haven't heard anything, chances are nothing much has happened since.
FullStream for Real is supported since R9000. DivX acceleration is supported on all DX9 Radeons.

kyleb said:
Yeah, I have no clue if the new Radeons support it or not, but "deblocking" is simply an attempt to smooth out the artifacts that make compressed videos look blocky.
Does anyone know if it really works with the X1800/1900?

who cares about deblocking for divx and WMV9, I just use FFDshow to decode everything and it does a wonderfull job I must say :smile:

SPP deblocking in new builds (~dec 2005 or newer) of ffdshow is decent, but CPU hungry (keep at lvl2 unless you have powerful CPU and don't use other CPU hungry processing).

digitalwanderer said:
I've just used ffdshow for subtitles for anime, you mean it does more?!?! :oops:

Haha, was that sarcasm? ;) Because ffdshow is a lot more than a way to show subtitles :D FFdshow includes decoding of MPEG1/2/4 videostreams (+other), decoding of many audiostreams, postprocessing etc.

breez said:
Haha, was that sarcasm? ;) Because ffdshow is a lot more than a way to show subtitles :D FFdshow includes decoding of MPEG1/2/4 videostreams (+other), decoding of many audiostreams, postprocessing etc.
Nope, the truthfully stupid and honest truth of an anime junky. :oops:

I'll play with it a bit more and download the latest version, thanks. :)

breez said:
SPP deblocking in new builds (~dec 2005 or newer) of ffdshow is decent, but CPU hungry (keep at lvl2 unless you have powerful CPU and don't use other CPU hungry processing).
the fast SPP deblocking doesn't drop any frames for the SD stuff I tested it with, however it blurs too much so I just use the mplayer deblocking.

radeonic2 said:
the fast SPP deblocking doesn't drop any frames for the SD stuff I tested it with, however it blurs too much so I just use the mplayer deblocking.

Yes, fast SPP is just horrible IMO

I use deblocking only with very low bitrate stuff. Works great with anime!

no-X said:
FullStream for Real is supported since R9000.
Yeah, which is why I said it was of marginal use.

Everybody I know HATES real. Except for my dad, he's installed it on his PC because he doesn't know any better, and then he asked me why he was getting spammed by popups every time he started it up and if it was possible to get rid of them... :LOL:

WOW, just WOW!!!! :oops:

I finally got a handle on how to playback with ffdshow and some feel for the filters and the difference is just staggering to me! I play around with the filters depending on what I'm watching, but just post-processing seems to add so much it ain't funny!

Thanks for the tip, I'm really benefitting from it. (I'm in a Tenchi Muyo fest and it looks even better now. :) )

Back