VIA Eve mobile gaming console

Fox5 said:
and tbdr was bad because the cpu has to do all the sorting.
I think you meant "Binning" not "sorting", since one in O(n) and the other O(n log n), and FWIW, the CPU only did that on PVR Series 1 chips (PCX1/PCX2).

As for real sorting (i.e. arranging polygons in Z order) I would go as far as to say that Series 2 chips required less CPU sorting than standard renderers but you'll have to work out what I mean by that :)

PC-Engine said:
"Well, all recent PowerVR tech chipsets have had hardware T&L.."

Which ones?

Key word is in bold, as in "Technology". Technology does not have to mean "actual hardware". And that's what I was trying to illustrate.

Again, all of PowerVR's recent technology has had T&L (Series 4, Series 5, MBX).

Well, I'd imagine the Unichrome Pro has T&L but not much else. I can't find any specs on VIA's site. If there was anything to be excited about you can bet they'd be making bulleted lists of its gloriousness everywhere.

The only notable blurb:
S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro Graphics Core
With an internal data flow equivalent to what is available to the latest AGP 8X graphics cards, UniChrome Pro has a separate 128-bit data path between the North Bridge for pixel data flow and texture/command access. Separate 128-bit 2D and 3D graphics engines ensure optimal performance for all multimedia, entertainment, and productivity applications.

Assuming they can price this unit right (as in cheapish), it is attractive from a point of view that it is the smallest x86 device in existence. It's also quite feature-packed, and should be able to play Divx decently with its chipset's MPEG4 acceleration features.

well, we are going to see how fast UniChrome (not pro though) actually is... I just ordered a one. :)

yep, I ordered VIA EPIA M10000 mobo with 1GHz Nehemiah C3.

what for? well, I keep it as a secret at the moment. if everything goes well, I'll reveal it on the first day of The Assembly 2004.

(one classic machine is about to get around 1000 times power up...) ;)

Heh, sounds interesting Nappe :)

Tell us all about that VIA EPIA board when you get the chance! They are interesting little things. See if you can go completely fanless!

Nappe1 said:
well, we are going to see how fast UniChrome (not pro though) actually is... I just ordered a one. :)

yep, I ordered VIA EPIA M10000 mobo with 1GHz Nehemiah C3.

what for? well, I keep it as a secret at the moment. if everything goes well, I'll reveal it on the first day of The Assembly 2004.

(one classic machine is about to get around 1000 times power up...) ;)

Are you going to take a NES or Atari shell and put a C3 based computer inside?

Back