USB2 problem

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys, i've had this problem for a while. Basically when i try to plug a USB2 device (a hard drive and now an external DVD writer), my system tells me that it's plugged into a USB port therefore it could be faster. Fact is, it's plugged to a USB2 port.

Anything i'm missing?

To be pedantic, USB2.0 isn't necessarily high speed. USB 2.0 devices can be full speed also. USB2.0 HS is high speed.

This popup will happen whenever a device reports itself as high speed, but for whatever reason handshakes at low speed.

It might be because:
a) There's a non-high speed capable port/hub somewhere along the line
b) The device in question isn't actually high speed capable (and doesn't sound like its completely USB 2.0 compliant).

Since you've plugged more than one item into your port and get the same answer, I'd guess that its "a" instead of "b".

Some motherboards have some high speed, and some full speed only ports. Perhaps that's the issue?

There are some options in most BIOSs that may have an impact on this. Something along the lines of "compatibility mode" can also affect the way USB initializes, although I believe it's just there to make sure keyboards work before the OS's drivers load.

(have a PS/2 keyboard handy to make sure, I once blew the PS/2 ports and had no way to get into the BIOS and enable USB support :cry:)

Well i thought the USB2 drivers were installed, my Sony camera works fine at full speed. Not sure what to do, the drives are USB2, whats the difference between "full speed" and "high speed"?

Oh and by the way, there is no Hub in between. It's plugged directly to the port which is high-speed USB2 compatible cause it has the logo on it. U know the red and blue one.

london-boy said:
Not sure what to do, the drives are USB2, whats the difference between "full speed" and "high speed"?
Low speed is 1mbps.
Full speed is 12mbps.
High speed is 480 mbps.

This popup shows up if the device reports it is USB2.0, handshakes at full speed, and doesn't stall the device qualifier request.

Anyways, try the drives on a different computer, or a different port.

Well what im not getting is... What do i do now? :devilish:

The device is High Speed. The port is High Speed. Tried all ports. There are no drivers with the device cause "it will work on XP" so it says on the box.

Do i need drivers for the port? Cause there aint any for the drive, not even on the website.

Sounds reasonable. One of the PHYs was out of spec (or both) and preventing it from handshaking at high speed.

Back