upgrade advice - whole system or just video

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by thomase, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

NTFS>FAT32 in every way possible....

2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Saem,

Unfortunately the P4T-E only facilitates overclocking to 133MHz FSB; certainly though the BIOS at least, I’ve never tried the dipswitches before.

thomase

I can see no reason why not – now that I’ve got a Northwood in here I might give that a go myself actually…

I think its been pointed out before (from one of Tom’s articles) that if you overclock in 33Mhz steps then the AGP/PCI actually drops back to its nominal rate in the Hub architecture; I believe this may still apply for i845/850, although I;ve yet to have it definitively confirmed. The dipswitch overclock options on the P4T-E do allow separate PCI/AGP & FSB clockings but I do not know the flexibility of it as I’ve never tried it.

The moment I installed XP I converted to NTSF; my initial reaction was that it wasn’t as speedy as Win32, but that could well be attributed to the extra functionality the WinXP Explorer has (thumbnails etc); it certainly doesn’t seem as fast for file searching.

3. thomase

Newcomer

I'm interested in finding out if this works. It's not often that you can get a nice CPU overclock without being limited by other system components.

4. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Mmmmmm - didn't like it straight off (133Mhz FSB & 3X RAMBUS multiplier); anyone have a guess at what voltage the Northwood should have at 2.66GHz?

5. thomase

Newcomer

Oops. Too bad its not a 1.6A. I hear they get up to 2133 real easily.