Ubisoft's Seven Wii Launch Titles

CountZeroInt said:
Galaxy is going to be good but just another Sunshine.
Considering "Mario 128" was called that in reference to Mario 64, and Sunshine was an evolutionary step FROM Mario 64...

Just what--I'm wondering--would make something given the codename "Mario 128" different, or better, than what they did with Sunshine?

To continue with an overused phrase, Galaxy would seem to be their attempt to make another "revolutionary" step with their primary Mario platformer line in the same way that Mario 64 brought it seamlessly to 3D. ...and while Sunshine may merely have been "evolutionary" (what with really no extra features to play off the way Wii does), I have no idea why so many people were dissatisfied with it. As much as I loved Mario 64, SMS was smoother, had more to do, removed no "good features" pointlessly, and was simply beautiful--which as far as I can tell is exactly what one should want from sequels. Does everything have to "create a new mold"?

(And I find your comment doubly strange because you seem to profess extra affection toward NSMB--a return TO old MB platforming glory, only with extra features and new zaniness--which bears a close analogy to Sunshine vis-a-vis Mario 64.)

fearsomepirate said:
Powderkeg, it's quite clear that being released on a Nintendo console isn't your idea of good 3rd-party support.

:rolleyes:

Wrong.

THIS is not my idea of good 3rd party support:

Monster 4X4 World Circuit = Avg Ratio: 49%
Blazing Angles: Squadrons of WWII = Avg Ratio: 67%
Far Cry Instincts = Avg Ratio: 77%

It's pretty clear you are defending hardware, and don't care about the games. I care about the games, and these games range between mediocre to just plain shitty.

But hey, if you actually think Monster 4X4 is a great game, then by all means enjoy it on your Wii. I have access to the same games on the console I already own, but I wouldn't buy them, and I definitely wouldn't be bragging about having them because they suck.

It has nothing to do with the hardware, or Nintendo. It has everything to do with the fact the games suck. At least it's that way for me, but apparently to you shitty games = good support.

pc999 said:
Did you miss those parts?

Those doesnt not seems like "do the less we can so we can release it on the platform" kind of port we are used to see.

BTW They already said that SC games will come to the Wii, sonner or later (what a suprisse), in a gamasutra interviewn.

Also there is the case that a Assassins like game cant be ported (or easly ported) to the Wii because lack of power

Nope, I didn't miss that part. Nor did I say anything about games like Red Steel, which is a prime example of GOOD 3rd party support.

My whole point is that the games listed here suck. Period.

And crappy games does not equal good support to me. It reeks of the dumping of shovelware.

Except the Far Cry game got less-than-stellar reviews for being a port of an Xbox game on the Xbox 360 lacking much new content, not because it wasn't fun (and if you remember, it retailed at a budget price). The original Far Cry Instincts got rather good reviews all around, scoring in the mid-to-high 8's from almost everyone. And it sounds like the Wii version isn't a port. The "new maps" and "new storyline" at least hint that direction. It's too bad that X360 isn't a viable enough platform to get anything more than a port of the Xbox Far Cry.

So seven Ubi titles at launch, three of which sound pretty good, one of which is a total unknown, and 3 of which are probably going to be not good. Considering X360 got a lone Xbox port at launch, Nintendo's doing quite well. I guess X360 isn't even fit for shovelware. Enjoy Uno.

Imagine what you'd be saying if X360 launched with an original FPS, a new Rayman entry ground-up for 360, a new entry in the Far Cry series, a racing sim, an arcade monster truck game, a licensed movie title, and an arcade WWII flight game, while Wii launched with a port of King Kong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
Nope, I didn't miss that part. Nor did I say anything about games like Red Steel, which is a prime example of GOOD 3rd party support.

And crappy games does not equal good support to me. It reeks of the dumping of shovelware.
But Ubisoft is a HUGE publisher. They make money on AAA titles as well as what you call shovelware. If the shovelware isn't selling through on a platform, do you think they're going to bet the farm with high dollar blockbusters on it?

The PlayStation was lauded for it's wide array of third party support. Not every single game from every single studio was stellar, but the sheer number of games available made it the de facto console to own.

I think that publishing some high profile games (Red Steel, Rayman, and supposedly Prince of Persia) along with some filler games (GT Pro, Blazing Angels, Monster 4x4) for Wii is good support. That's the nature of Ubisoft's business model, and they're throwing it behind Nintendo.

Powderkeg said:
I have access to the same games on the console I already own, but I wouldn't buy them, and I definitely wouldn't be bragging about having them because they suck.

As fearsome noted Far Cry Instincts didn't stink and I don't think you are the target audiance. Only 15% of console owners last gen even had access to Far Cry and no-Nintendo owners so that is still fertile ground. For a game with an average 87% rating from reviewers adding in a new story and the Wii controller could add a bit to the title.

It all comes down to how well the controller is incorperated and whether the 'ports' are solid (solid to begin with and brought over well).

Acert93 said:
As fearsome noted Far Cry Instincts didn't stink and I don't think you are the target audiance.

Oh pah-leeze.

FPS's are my single most favorite game genre. I've played every single one available on the 360 so far. If I'm not part of the target audience for a first person shooter then no one is.

Only 15% of console owners last gen even had access to Far Cry and no-Nintendo owners so that is still fertile ground.

If you say so. Personally I don't think there is much fertile ground for a mediocre port of a year old Xbox game.

For a game with an average 87% rating from reviewers adding in a new story and the Wii controller could add a bit to the title.

Oh, I think you meant the 78% that Far Cry Instincts + Instincts Evolution got.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931339.asp?q=far cry

I think that's far more relevent in regards to what kind of expectations you should have for a port of Far Cry + additional content.

It all comes down to how well the controller is incorperated and whether the 'ports' are solid (solid to begin with and brought over well).

Are you playing a game, or playing a controller? These games didn't get crappy reviews because of the controller, they got crappy reviews because the games were no good. And a "solid" port would just be a solid port of a crappy game.

fearsomepirate said:
Except the Far Cry game got less-than-stellar reviews for being a port of an Xbox game on the Xbox 360 lacking much new content, not because it wasn't fun (and if you remember, it retailed at a budget price). The original Far Cry Instincts got rather good reviews all around, scoring in the mid-to-high 8's from almost everyone.

And it's follow-up on the Xbox scored almost exactly the same as the 360 version. But you wouldn't want to mention that their most recent efforts with theFar Cry games have been poor.

And it sounds like the Wii version isn't a port. The "new maps" and "new storyline" at least hint that direction. It's too bad that X360 isn't a viable enough platform to get anything more than a port of the Xbox Far Cry.

Now that is funny. Compared to 3rd party FPS sales on Nintendo's consoles, even the PSP is a more viable platform for any FPS.

So seven Ubi titles at launch, three of which sound pretty good, one of which is a total unknown, and 3 of which are probably going to be not good.

You have high hopes.

Considering X360 got a lone Xbox port at launch, Nintendo's doing quite well. I guess X360 isn't even fit for shovelware. Enjoy Uno.

Considering the Xbox 360 is the lead platform for Ubisoft's flagship game franchises, and Wii gets a bunch of crappy Xbox ports (Not even 360 ports) it's pretty clear who Ubisoft thinks the dominate player will be. I would much rather have the Tom Clancy games the day they launch than some 1+ year old Xbox games that scored in the 4-7 range in reviews.

Imagine what you'd be saying if X360 launched with an original FPS,

It did.

a new Rayman entry ground-up for 360,

A "meh" series. 7's to low 8's since the Dreamcast.

a new entry in the Far Cry series,

A port with some added levels. An expansion. Of course, Ubisoft never said that additional content was exclusive, did they?

a racing sim,

The Wii is getting a racing sim? Who is making that? It's not Ubisoft's racer.

an arcade monster truck game,

That absolutely sucked.

a licensed movie title,

Like King Kong on the 360 at launch?

and an arcade WWII flight game,

Which sucked.

while Wii launched with a port of King Kong.

I would say King Kong was probably the best of the bunch.

Powderkeg said:
Wow, you're demanding! A game has to be at least high 8's to even consider a mildly good and entertaining game? Whenever I've looked at user reviews, I've always found a mix of good and bad responses to a game. It's almost as though tastes vary and one person's 'meh' game is another person's delight. Thanks goodness we've got numbers to scientifically determine which games people should or should not play (given that 'meh' titles shouldn't be being released on consoles - it reaks of shovelware and weak support). For the record I have played and very much enjoyed 'meh' games in the high 7s and low 8s, and I've played higher scoring games with a sense of disatisfaction and unenjoyment.

Are you playing a game, or playing a controller? These games didn't get crappy reviews because of the controller, they got crappy reviews because the games were no good.
Except a new control scheme can invigorate a game. Imagine what Nintendo's Duck Hunt on NES would have scored if there wasn't a lightgun controller for it...

If the FPS is 'meh' on other consoles, and yet maps onto the Wiimote to add gameplay depth and fluidity, it'll score more, maybe pushing the average up out of the dull old 7's and into the heady heights of the 8's (seeing as that only needs a few points to go from 'meh' to good.)

Disclaimer: I've changed the position of one quote to allow for a more compact response

Powderkeg said:
And it's follow-up on the Xbox scored almost exactly the same as the 360 version. But you wouldn't want to mention that their most recent efforts with theFar Cry games have been poor.
A port with some added levels. An expansion. Of course, Ubisoft never said that additional content was exclusive, did they?

First of all, I'd like to know since when being exclusive has something to do which score a game should receive.

Secondly, both sides are making very selective arguments here. Everyone is citing the gamerankings score that fits his argument best (Link1 Link2 Link3). Prior scores are a nice guideline, but they're nothing more. FC Wii could score higher, it could score lower, we don't know. In fact, we've yet to see a single screenshot or gameplay video, we've not heard anything about the gameplay, we haven't even heard the complete title. All we know there's some extra content and new story line. There's been talk about vehicles, but that's all we know.

So before everyone gets all shook up about whether or not this is a good or bad franchise how about just waiting for some first impressions?

About Rayman

:???: Are you serious? There was only one Rayman jump'n run released (Link1 Link2 Link3) since then and you're proclaiming the series is going downhill? (There was the spin off Rayman Arena - but nobody would declare Mario sucks, because he didn't like Mario Kart).
Rayman is still among the best jump'n run series out there. It has been consistently getting good review since the PS / N64/ saturn era and is still doing fine.

Powderkeg said:

I somewhat agree but that is a consequence of support: the more games (support) you have, the more "$#% you have too and that is true for every console, the question is if there is a number good enough of good games. I would love if I as interested in ~40% of the games released on the others consoles (GC included) by those companys).

If you say so. Personally I don't think there is much fertile ground for a mediocre port of a year old Xbox game.

Why do you say it is a port and why do you say it is mediocre, there is nothing here that tell anything about but that it uses elements of Evolution (and that can be very little)?
BTW what would it need to not be a port? I mean if someone tells you new gameplay, new story, new maps, new equipment, new enemies you think it is a port then you will find hard to play anything new.

There is about 120M user that hadn't a chance to play FC and Ubi seems to do a good effort to bring good game to wii, there is also RS that it seems interesting if it lives to the hype it should be excellent, there is many people that like Rayman and they are putting maximum effort on it (a big risk once you are risking all the PS2/XB/GC/360/PS3s out there), the others if they are priced at 1/3-1/2 of the price they would worth the price to many too (wouldn't be the first time). There is a lot of money involved here so I really doubt it is not supporting and we cant forget they have "many more titles in development".

Personally I even think they are oversuporting it, I cant see how will they sell so many launch games (specially if you think that games like Mario/LoZ/MP3/SSB will be some of the best sellers taking much money and time from gamers), maybe if they (all?) have low prices (at least 1/2 of the price) they can sell enough but even that way I find hard.

IGN said:
"I can confirm that a game based on the popular Prince of Persia franchise is one of many titles Ubisoft has in development for Nintendo's Wii," a spokesperson for Ubisoft told IGN today. "At this time we can not provide an official date for the game or any additional information about it."

According to the spokesperson, the Prince project was left off last week's announcement because it will not be a Wii launch title; the company does not have release timing or details for the game just yet.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/723/723863p1.html

PoP heading for Wii as well. No details yet.

And it's follow-up on the Xbox scored almost exactly the same as the 360 version.
Because, as I said, it was a $20 budget title that was little more than an expansion pack. Wait and see.
Not from Ubisoft, it didn't. Right now, we're talking about Ubisoft's support. Ubisoft's support of the Wii is clearly better than their X360 support at this point. They launched with a lone port of an Xbox game on the 360, and they're giving the Wii 4 new games and 3 ports for launch.

As I recall, you haven't actually played the new Far Cry, Red Steel, Rayman, or GT to know if they're any good or not. I doubt they'll be worse than Low-Eights Kong.

Wow, you're demanding! A game has to be at least high 8's to even consider a mildly good and entertaining game?

Hmmm, if I were to go back and read your impressions about Xbox 360 launch games, most of which scored higher, what would I find?

Except a new control scheme can invigorate a game. Imagine what Nintendo's Duck Hunt on NES would have scored if there wasn't a lightgun controller for it...

Imagine if Duck Hunt was made for the gamepad and not the lightgun. Think adding a lightgun would change the game?

I've got PGR3 right now. It works with both a gamepad and wheel controller. Guess what, regardless of which controller you use, it's still the same game with the same gameplay.

If the FPS is 'meh' on other consoles, and yet maps onto the Wiimote to add gameplay depth and fluidity, it'll score more, maybe pushing the average up out of the dull old 7's and into the heady heights of the 8's (seeing as that only needs a few points to go from 'meh' to good.)

See my above example about PGR3 and the wheel. Changing the controller doesn't change the gameplay. The gameplay is exactly the same. No increased depth, no increased fluidity, exactly the same game, and ironically, exactly the same scores in reviews too.

Just because you change from a finger movement to a hand movement doesn't mean the gameplay is changed, it just means you use more energy to make the exact same controller inputs.

First of all, I'd like to know since when being exclusive has something to do which score a game should receive.

I would like to know since when has being a port meant the game would be radically different than the version it was ported from.

Secondly, both sides are making very selective arguments here. Everyone is citing the gamerankings score that fits his argument best Prior scores are a nice guideline, but they're nothing more. FC Wii could score higher, it could score lower, we don't know. In fact, we've yet to see a single screenshot or gameplay video, we've not heard anything about the gameplay, we haven't even heard the complete title. All we know there's some extra content and new story line. There's been talk about vehicles, but that's all we know.

Agreed. But not counting the PC version, there have been 3 Far Cry games released, and only the first got relatively high scores, and a large part of that came from the fact that it's graphics were impressive for the hardware it was on.

:???: Are you serious? There was only one Rayman jump'n run released It has been consistently getting good review since the PS / N64/ saturn era and is still doing fine.

That's kind of funny actually. The series is "doing fine" because they've only released 1 game which scored in the 7's since the N64. Isn't that basically what you are saying?

I somewhat agree but that is a consequence of support: the more games (support) you have, the more "$#% you have too and that is true for every console, the question is if there is a number good enough of good games. I would love if I as interested in ~40% of the games released on the others consoles (GC included) by those companys).

Go back and read all of my posts from the start.

I've never said ALL of the support from Ubisoft was bad. I said bragging about these specific games was silly because they are NOT good games. I've even clarified that by saying games like Red Steel are examples of good support, and that getting games like the Spliter Cell series was fairly newsworthy. Don't try to put words in my mouth, I'm talking about the 4 specific games mentioned in the OP and nothing more. Those games aren't worth bragging about.

And frankly, if I started a thread bragging about getting these same games on the 360 I rather suspect quite a few of you would be more than happy to jump right in and tell me how bad they are.

Imagine if Duck Hunt was made for the gamepad and not the lightgun. Think adding a lightgun would change the game?

I've got PGR3 right now. It works with both a gamepad and wheel controller. Guess what, regardless of which controller you use, it's still the same game with the same gameplay.

Virtua Cop for Saturn let you play with both light gun and the controller, lets just say that I love that game but I dont touch it since my light gun is broken (some years ago):cry: .

So depending on the game the controler can change a lot even if the gameplay dont change so much.

Here in at least some games we can see some change on gameplay mechanics if (eg) FC use a control scheme that looks like the RS one or like a PC one, if you can do things much faster (eg 3 head shots in 3 guys in 1-1,5s) they will need to rework all the gameplay so the AI is smart enought or it isnt easy to shoot him (in fact both RS and MP3 does have much more agresive AI than usual) it is very easy to make the game different if they take the effort to do that way.

Some games I really doubt they will change, personally I never saw difference between racing games.

Go back and read all of my posts from the start.

I've never said ALL of the support from Ubisoft was bad. I said bragging about these specific games was silly because they are NOT good games. I've even clarified that by saying games like Red Steel are examples of good support, and that getting games like the Spliter Cell series was fairly newsworthy. Don't try to put words in my mouth, I'm talking about the 4 specific games mentioned in the OP and nothing more. Those games aren't worth bragging about.

None, at least not me, said that those especific games are good enought for that (that is why I talked if the prices are low they may worth for some), some like FC are, but what I am taliking is that launching 7 games (specially if some of them are being tailored for it) on 1 day plus if this console cant have many units out and having many more in devlopment, mean that they do have a lot of confidence and will do a lot of suport.

And frankly, if I started a thread bragging about getting these same games on the 360 I rather suspect quite a few of you would be more than happy to jump right in and tell me how bad they are

Not for some of the game in specific and depending on he diferences (FC:p is just FCI with new gfx), but if they are launching 7 games (like those) on the same day I would think they are doing a good suport whatever the console it is.

Back