Turion vs Sonoma

T2k

Veteran
AMD vs Intel, the forever question - now on the mobile front.

AMD is getting ready its new, uber-mobile chip, called Turion whereas Intel is busy upgrading current Dothan to already widely used faster FSB and memory architecture.

Question is whether this upgrade will be enough to stand against AMD's new part? They are wroking on this Turion for a very long time now, rumours say it's going to be some overkill stuff - I guess we can be sure it's got integrated memory controller as well as 64bit etc...

By the middle of this year we should see appearing the first Turion-based, lightweight yet powerful laptops - just like P-M nowadays in <5lbs class notebooks.

T2k said:

AMD is getting ready its new, uber-mobile chip, called Turion whereas Intel is busy upgrading current Dothan to already widely used faster FSB and memory architecture.

Question is whether this upgrade will be enough to stand against AMD's new part? They are wroking on this Turion for a very long time now, rumours say it's going to be some overkill stuff - I guess we can be sure it's got integrated memory controller as well as 64bit etc...

By the middle of this year we should see appearing the first Turion-based, lightweight yet powerful laptops - just like P-M nowadays in <5lbs class notebooks.
Damn, you're getting quite excited about the announcement of a product name. Where's the beef?

cu

incurable

ANova said:
T2k said:

I thought you were in the know. :rolleyes:

btw, that's not all Intel plans to do with the architecture.

Apparently you didn't get it (again, heh): based on these picture only the FSB has changed, memory architecture - perhaps due to lack of relevant chipset? - will stay and Intel will do it in next step.
Of course, it's nothing but assumptions based on these pictures.

incurable said:
T2k said:

Damn, you're getting quite excited about the announcement of a product name. Where's the beef?

cu

incurable

Hehe, I just wanna see some competition on mobile front too. Unless you like these at least 7-8 lbs bricks, you can't buy anything with future 64bit compatibility at or under 5 lbs, as of today.

T2k said:
Hehe, I just wanna see some competition on mobile front too. Unless you like these at least 7-8 lbs bricks, you can't buy anything with future 64bit compatibility at or under 5 lbs, as of today.
Personally, I see little use for 64bit-ness in the mobile space, today and in the immediate future, the extra INT/SSE2 registers of x86-64 // AMD64 // IA32e // EMT64 or whatever other names people want to call this damn spec might come handy, though.

As for Sonoma, it's the combination of a 7x0 series Pentium M, a 915GM/PM (formerly Alviso) + ICH6-M chipset and a Calexico II WLAN module, the processors shown on the page you linked are only a piece of the puzzle.

cu

incurable

Sonoma: that's what originally been rumoured. Despite these rumours this packaging very discouraging... don't you think if it got a dual channel memory Intel won't promote it on its box?

T2k said:
ANova said:
T2k said:

I thought you were in the know. :rolleyes:

btw, that's not all Intel plans to do with the architecture.

Apparently you didn't get it (again, heh): based on these picture only the FSB has changed, memory architecture - perhaps due to lack of relevant chipset? - will stay and Intel will do it in next step.
Of course, it's nothing but assumptions based on these pictures.

No, you didn't get it. You claimed to have insider knowledge of future chips which you obviously do not. The next line of PMs coming out will have their fsb increased to 533 MHz. Yes that's it, for this release. And no Intel does not market dual channel memory however, they will have it when the new chipset makes it's way onto the market.

*shrug*

Not again... ANova, get lost. Go and troll somewhere else, please. You simply unable to follow a basic context of a discussion and I'm tired of this.
Please, stay on topic or troll somewhere else.

/ignore ON

T2k said:
*shrug*

Not again... ANova, get lost. Go and troll somewhere else, please. You simply unable to follow a basic context of a discussion and I'm tired of this.
Please, stay on topic or troll somewhere else.

Apparently you didn't get it (again, heh)

If this isn't trolling I don't know what is. And yeah, I did stay on topic.

incurable said:
T2k said:
Personally, I see little use for 64bit-ness in the mobile space, today and in the immediate future, the extra INT/SSE2 registers of x86-64 // AMD64 // IA32e // EMT64 or whatever other names people want to call this damn spec might come handy, though.

When ppl buy laptops most of them use it for years. Even the most enthusiastic tech-geek home users keep their laptop for long time, unlike their 6-12 months desktop upgrade period.

Another thing is the market called 'prosumer' in every fieldc - they use DTR machines. Now it's time to have something same powerful mobile stuff like A64 3700+ but without carrying 7-8 lbs brick.
Probably same goes for mobile gamers too.

T2k said:
Sonoma: that's what originally been rumoured. Despite these rumours this packaging very discouraging... don't you think if it got a dual channel memory Intel won't promote it on its box?
No, why would it?

See, you're looking at the packaging of a Pentium M, a processor that doesn't include a memory controller and can be paired with whatever supporting motherboard you chose.

Dual-channel memory is a feature of the i915PM / i915GM Northbridge (TAFKA Alviso) and will be mentioned prominently on products feauturing this device.

The page you linked to does _NOT_ show Sonoma, it shows a few 7x0 series Pentium Ms, which are but one piece of the Sonoma platform.

cu

incurable

That seems to be asking a lot of current mobile platforms. I'm thinking that we may have what you are talking about in another 2 years though.
This is all speculation unfortunately though. :)

incurable said:
T2k said:
No, why would it?

See, you're looking at the packaging of a Pentium M, a processor that doesn't include a memory controller and can be paired with whatever supporting motherboard you chose.

C'mon. Don'tbe ridiculous... if some new feature is available then any vendor will promote it.

Dual-channel memory is a feature of the i915PM / i915GM Northbridge (TAFKA Alviso) and will be mentioned prominently on products feauturing this device.

Yes, that's what I'm asking: isn't that possible that no DC in first step, due to the not-yet-ready chipset?

The page you linked to does _NOT_ show Sonoma, it shows a few 7x0 series Pentium Ms, which are but one piece of the Sonoma platform.

:rolleyes:

This is part of my question - in case you haven't noticed yet.

MasterBaiter said:
That seems to be asking a lot of current mobile platforms. I'm thinking that we may have what you are talking about in another 2 years though.
This is all speculation unfortunately though. :)

Accusing Intel with holding back everything, one step at one time speed? ;)

Wow, based on their track record... :LOL:

T2k said:
C'mon. Don'tbe ridiculous... if some new feature is available then any vendor will promote it.

Intel does not advertise dual channel on their processor packaging, period. That's something the motherboard manufacturers usually do, since it's the chipset that actually supports it, not the processor. I'm sure 3rd party manufactuers like Asus will advertise it once their products based on Sonoma come out.

T2k said:
Dual-channel memory isn't a feature of the 7x0 series Pentium M that you linked, as it doesn't have an integrated memory controller.

T2k said:
Yes, that's what I'm asking: isn't that possible that no DC in first step, due to the not-yet-ready chipset?
No. Alviso will be launched alongside the other parts that comprise the Sonoma platform in a matter of days.

T2k said:
incurable said:

WHAT is part of your question? I've already explained to you what Sonoma is, what Alviso is, what your link shows and how the Sonoma platform will support dual-channel DDR(2) memory.

cu

incurable

incurable said:
T2k said:
Dual-channel memory isn't a feature of the 7x0 series Pentium M that you linked, as it doesn't have an integrated memory controller.

No, shit...

[/quote]
T2k said:
No. Alviso will be launched alongside the other parts that comprise the Sonoma platform in a matter of days.
[/quote]

Hmmm... I wonder why nothing leaked yet then...

T2k said:
incurable said:

WHAT is part of your question? I've already explained to you what Sonoma is, what Alviso is, what your link shows and how the Sonoma platform will support dual-channel DDR(2) memory.

Part is my question = it was hidden alreqady in my question = we knew this, thank you

BTW DDR2 sux, as of today.

Back