Trouble reaching internet bandwith limit.

where the phone company has the equipment. So you have a landline/copper to the house, then to a wirelessrouter, then to your comp by wifi?

karlotta said:
where the phone company has the equipment. So you have a landline/copper to the house, then to a wirelessrouter, then to your comp by wifi?

What kind of equipment would that be? I don't speak nor write english too well, but I think that it is what you say "landline/cooper" and then to the wirelessrouter and then to my computer.. I don't know what wifi is, but I can tell you that the adapter I have in my computer is an "SMC2862W-G Connect g 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 adapter"

P.S - Another problem I'm having is that I keep getting a message every half-hour that says "Wireless connection unavailable" and I have to remove the adapter and plug it again so it can work again.

Personally I'd run the test directly plugged into the ADSL modem. Take the wireles out of the test for now.

Then if your still seeing a lot of dropped packets I'd send the report to your service provider, it can be a lot of different things. From bad wiring in you house to a bad switch at your ISP. The latter can be a real pig to have them diagnose and fix.

[Brick_top said:
]Hi.. thanks a lot for replying :)

this is the result I got

should I run the other tests too?

This is actually very good. That means that the firewall in your router, combined with the one from the ISP are completely watertight. You're very likely using a proxy. You won't be able to do online gaming with this setup, but nothing whatsoever can get inside directly. Although you still need a virus scanner and a good browser to close the indirect holes.

So, the open ports are on your own computer only, which is totally fine. That helpdesk doesn't know what it is talking about.

I agree with the others, the connection with your ISP is just bad. You probably live too far from the nearest switching center. You might want to see if you can get cable internet instead, as it is unlikely that that ADSL speed will improve. A subscription with a larger download capacity won't help.

Edit: But you should do what ERP suggest, to make sure it is not a problem inside your own house.

ERP said:
Personally I'd run the test directly plugged into the ADSL modem. Take the wireles out of the test for now.

Then if your still seeing a lot of dropped packets I'd send the report to your service provider, it can be a lot of different things. From bad wiring in you house to a bad switch at your ISP. The latter can be a real pig to have them diagnose and fix.

When I installed the ADSL I spent a week with the modem my ISP provided and the bandwidth was the same. I guess I will have to call them again.

Thanks.

DiGuru said:
[Brick_top said:
]Hi.. thanks a lot for replying :)

this is the result I got

should I run the other tests too?

This is actually very good. That means that the firewall in your router, combined with the one from the ISP are completely watertight. You're very likely using a proxy. You won't be able to do online gaming with this setup, but nothing whatsoever can get inside directly. Although you still need a virus scanner and a good browser to close the indirect holes.

So, the open ports are on your own computer only, which is totally fine. That helpdesk doesn't know what it is talking about.

I agree with the others, the connection with your ISP is just bad. You probably live too far from the nearest switching center. You might want to see if you can get cable internet instead, as it is unlikely that that ADSL speed will improve. A subscription with a larger download capacity won't help.

Edit: But you should do what ERP suggest, to make sure it is not a problem inside your own house.

Hi.. I don't know where the switching center is or what it is, but I do know that there is some material from the phone company very very close to my house.. it's like 200 meters from it. I live in a very small village, but I don't know what distance should I be from anything, but I do know at least 3 people that live relatively close to me and they don't experience this issue.

[Brick_top said:
]Hi.. I don't know where the switching center is or what it is, but I do know that there is some material from the phone company very very close to my house.. it's like 200 meters from it. I live in a very small village, but I don't know what distance should I be from anything, but I do know at least 3 people that live relatively close to me and they don't experience this issue.

In that case, I suggest you send them a letter to explain and ask them to come over and fix it. And call them until they do.

[Brick_top said:
]yeah I guess that seems the best thing I can do now.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help :)

i just hope it helped.... i mean it must suck to have 2 Mbit line and get ISDN DL speeds....
bloody hell, i would prolly throw bomb on my ISP by now, but around here throwing bombs is like national sport, so ...... YOU HEAR ME? YOU SOBs?YOU BETTER GIMME MORE BANDWIDTH!!!!!! :LOL:

what a bunch of pros :) very nicely handled. i'm curious how this is resolved -- brick_top's neighbors aren't having probelms, yet his pc is clean too? very odd. i'd want to get a laptop over there to test local network speeds. if the router and modem and the local switch are fine, then it must be the house, right? *curious* :)

i forgot to mention, if you decide to change (or if you can change) providers, maybe a site like this one can help.

Back