Trip down memory lane

ET

Regular
I'm going over some old articles to see what I can throw away. Found one on Microsoft's Talisman architecture. Also news articles about Fujitsu's Pinolite geometry coprocessor, ARK Logic's Tiger3D chip, and info about the Mpact, Mpact 2, Pyramid3D, Permedia NT and Permedia 2, even the Cirrus Logic 3D chips... Ah, those were the days. (All this goes to the garbage bin, of course.)

Whatever happened to Chrome? A few years ago they were talking about it.. I'm not sure where it went..

What did you find about the MPact? I actually got a card based on that thing stashed away in a cupboard...

8MB (I believe) of dual-channel 600MHz RDRAM... Wow.

*G*

EEK dont throw them away! to some people that stuff is like gold... just send it to me! :D

Grall said:
What did you find about the MPact? I actually got a card based on that thing stashed away in a cupboard...

*G*

The Mpact was great. Fully programmable, good DVD support... Very interesting chip.

ET said:
Grall said:

*G*

The Mpact was great. Fully programmable, good DVD support... Very interesting chip.

Agreed, but not until ver 2.

Joe, don't you have one of those boards I sent you? Or am I thinking of something else?

I was really interested in Talisman. Would have been neat. Pinolite was really cool at the time. Too bad it didn't come out when they announced it. At least I got a good party out of it at E3 Atlanta. Got to meet Bjorn too. Completely forgot about Tiger3D. The rest... no big loss. ;)

As for Chromeffects(aka Chrome), that's something I haven't heard in awhile. Just did a google to refresh my memory and it looks like it was mainly killed due to the DOJ happenings of the time. Alex St. John, Eric Engstrom and Craig Eisler(aka Beastie Boys) were all working on it after DirectX and before they left Microsoft. Alex went to WildTangent, Eric went to WildSeed and Craig went to Action Engine.

Also, my former colleague Omid Rahmat(who now works at Tom's Hardware) has an article and interview with Michael Drummond, the author of "Renegades of the Empire". It's a book about the Beastie Boys and their dealings with Microsoft, DirectX, Chromeffects and the DOJ. Might be worth checking out.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/smoke/19991112/

Tommy McClain

Back