Trials of Topoq

I'm unimpressed. The technology's quite good, actually, now I think about it. It's determining the player's position and displacing the terrain accordingly. But the actual game seems awkward. For the casuals, as the player demonstrates, it's not an intuitive game. She didn't pick up on the fact she was creating a mound in the ground on her position. Instead she was trying to nudge the ball with her hand, as comes naturally. Even if you get the idea, the ball rolls off your left side to appear on your right, requiring players to duck out of screen to move the other side of the ball without deflecting it.

The game seem a poor fit to the technology IMO.

I'm unimpressed. The technology's quite good, actually, now I think about it. It's determining the player's position and displacing the terrain accordingly. But the actual game seems awkward. For the casuals, as the player demonstrates, it's not an intuitive game. She didn't pick up on the fact she was creating a mound in the ground on her position. Instead she was trying to nudge the ball with her hand, as comes naturally. Even if you get the idea, the ball rolls off your left side to appear on your right, requiring players to duck out of screen to move the other side of the ball without deflecting it.

The game seem a poor fit to the technology IMO.

I agree somewhat. Either make it really clear that your whole body plays along and make that useful (like in Lemmings, was pretty good), or give an option to play with an identified object that you can use. Maybe you can pick up a red glove, and tell the computer that's what it needs to react to. E.g. hold the glove above a circle at a few distances, which then determines what it should look out for as its 'cursor'.

I do like how you're like a big animal under the surface that lifts the surface. There's some potential with that, but I'm not sure it's the best thing for this game.

Back