Treated myself to a BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC

BRiT said:
No ... But if one has a Dell 2405FP then one would likely spend $600 to make their entire gaming experience better.

1680x1050 has been pretty good to me so far with this X800 XT on my 2405, but, yea, I've got the upgrade itch pretty bad these days. Trying to wait for the spring refresh. If the new parts don't tickle my fancy, then the older stuff will just cost me less than if I buy before Christmas.

John Reynolds said:
1680x1050 has been pretty good to me so far with this X800 XT on my 2405, but, yea, I've got the upgrade itch pretty bad these days. Trying to wait for the spring refresh. If the new parts don't tickle my fancy, then the older stuff will just cost me less than if I buy before Christmas.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I came across the $500 X1800XT when I was having a moment of weakness... I think it'll tide me over nicely til G80/R600. Unless of course the G71/R580 have amazing performance benefits at 1920x1200. The X800XL performance was too borderline at higher resolutions for my liking.

In either case, I think I like the cooler on the 512MB 7800GTX. Anyone have any ideas how the performance of it is compared to a design like the X1800XT's?

Rys seems to hate the cooler on the X1800XT with a passion (he just named it as one of three disappointments of the year on the 2005 Bricks & Bouquets thread in Industry). Tho I think that is more sound than performance, per se.

I'm jealous.

(the aforementioned sentance is my nomination for understatement of the year). I'm more jealous of that than I am of LB's big thing... err... HDTV.

geo said:
Rys seems to hate the cooler on the X1800XT with a passion (he just named it as one of three disappointments of the year on the 2005 Bricks & Bouquets thread in Industry). Tho I think that is more sound than performance, per se.

Not only Rys seems to hate it. 5000 RPMs is as loud as it has ever gotten in my system. I'm pretty sure anyone who hears it...hates it :D

volt said:
Not only Rys seems to hate it. 5000 RPMs is as loud as it has ever gotten in my system. I'm pretty sure anyone who hears it...hates it :D

I wonder if anyone has put a metric on it compared to the infamous 5800u leaf-blower?

zurich said:
As I've always wondered this of PCGamers..

Is F.E.A.R. that good of a game that you would spend $600 USD to make it run better?

It's not just Fear, but also Black & White 2, Call of Duty 2 and Quake4 all felt okay at 1024x768 and 2xAA (on my X800XT) but with my 19" monitor (Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454) I really want a minimum of 1280x960 at 4xAA and 1600x1200 x 4AA for titles that are not to taxing. So buying this card made sence (for playing new games) at the resolutions I like to play at.

geo said:
Yeah, it cools the chip (XT clocks) well enough. But then so does the XL's cooler. Which is quieter. And smaller. I cast a +10 Jeff Fu invoke on this thread.

Back