Toms look at the Geforce FX

Chalnoth said:
Doomtrooper said:
Its is not the fastest whatsoever..it loses to a Stock 9700 by a good margin in almost all games with AA and AF (which is one of the selling features of this card)...image quality is superior on the 9700 with its RGMS....

Are you referring to the Anandtech benchmarks? Those were using performance anisotropic, which means bilinear filtering, vs. the FX's trilinear. That's certainly not a fair comparison.

Come on Chalnoth - both Performance and Quality were on those graphs...or didn't you read the article?

Mize

We don't know what AF settings are being used in the H OCP reviews. Anand Tech again seems to have the most comprehensive benchmarks, im going to stick with his numbers as I find them heavily reliable (fast computer as well).

Moreover even the H review has a plurality of benchmarks where the FX wins at those settings. Typically though its either a wash, or a case where the FX wins at all settings except 1600*1200 *4AA

Lincoln said:
There is something wrong with the GFFX UT 2003 screenshot, it appears that the fog is missing.

Yes. Fog is missing in every GFFX screen shot I've seen. That's one way to up your fps.

Mize

Another thing I noticed was that there didn't appear to be any extra filtering going on due to the super-sample component in 8xS. Notice the HUD icons look very sharp.

I'm quite certain, at least on my Ti-4600, that the supersamping aspect is there.
There are some areas on the UT2003 map shown in a post above where alpha textures exist, one being a tarp over one of the entry ways.
It's definitely being AA'ed in 4x/6x/8xS modes, whereas with the regular MS modes it is not.

Lincoln

Mize said:
Lincoln said:
There is something wrong with the GFFX UT 2003 screenshot, it appears that the fog is missing.

Yes. Fog is missing in every GFFX screen shot I've seen. That's one way to up your fps.

Mize

I don't think fog should make any difference in performance. As far as I know, it's just a function of the Z-depth for that pixel, but I could be wrong.

On the other hand, I remember when the 8500 was doing quite well in the early versions of the UT2003 Performance Test, but had a fog error. When it was fixed, it didn't perform as well. Could have just been a coincidence though.

I wonder if some one from Tom's hardware site could write up a review "S3 Virge Vs ATI 9700 pro" and make the Virge come out on top and call it the king of 3d cards :D

OFF
Tom's Garbage is one of the most disgusting, malicious, most NV-biased sites. Unbelievable, cheap dirty faker, manipulator. Constantly "accidentally" falsified numbers about everybody except NV, forgotten details or simply counterfeited values - and magically: it makes always positive effect on the NV part..
A dirty jerkwater with no credibility.
I really hate that site and what regurgitates.
ON

PS; Just remember for that notorious 8500-review where 'LE' was missing everywhere...

LeStoffer said:
Lincoln said:
Given the supposed 3DFX influence, I'm quite puzzled by the AA options the GFFX provides.

Indeed.
shakin.gif

It makes no sense at all. This is the one thing I was hoping the FX would excel at. What influence did 3dfx have, I wonder? :?

Fuz said:
LeStoffer said:
Lincoln said:
Given the supposed 3DFX influence, I'm quite puzzled by the AA options the GFFX provides.

Indeed.
shakin.gif

It makes no sense at all. This is the one thing I was hoping the FX would excel at. What influence did 3dfx have, I wonder? :?

As much as it pains me to say, it looks like the only influence the ex-3DFX employees had was the delay. It doesn't look like there's anything else there, especially the FSAA. This card seems to be nothing but standard (which is not to say bad) nVidia engineering coupled with DX9 requirements.....

martrox said:
As much as it pains me to say, it looks like the only influence the ex-3DFX employees had was the delay. It doesn't look like there's anything else there, especially the FSAA. This card seems to be nothing but standard (which is not to say bad) nVidia engineering coupled with DX9 requirements.....

I'm with you on this. And I'm not in the least pained about it. This stuff happens all the time. Companies get complacent when you least expect them to.

Quite frankly, I'm more pissed at Tom's rubbish review than at nVidia for not doing more with the FX.

Back