TL-WN821N wireless

zed

Legend
I just brought this http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN821N-Wireless-Adapter-300Mbps/dp/B002T4D3M2, but its not working under windows 8.1

this should be populated with the wireless networks in the neighbourhood
wireless.png

I've tried all manner of things for 2 hours included a couple of calls to tech support, no go,
it works instantly in linux, my questions are

* is there someway I can get the info from linux to windows to make it work?
* it there some generic windows wifi driver I could install instead?

ta zed

I have used a couple of different versions of those (both Atheros (v3) and Realtek (v4) versions are apparently still on sale), and both work fine with the driver supplied by Windows Update. Manually installing the latest driver available from TP-Link should also work.

Uninstall the supplied driver package first and don't use the vendor supplied utility, they don't play well with Win 8.1. Stick with the built-in stuff and you should be OK.

Yeah I'd just stay away from the provided wifi client and stay with the built-in windows functions for 8.1

Yups, use standard from Windows.
So maybe the 1st step is uninstall the utility, restart, and see if it works.

uninstalled, I assume its using the MS drivers but still no luck
wifi.png

I repeat my earlier questions
* is there someway I can get the info from linux to windows to make it work?
* it there some generic windows wifi driver I could install instead?

where can I find this windows generic driver (I assume its on the PC) I've googled but no real help

It looks like it might be a widespread problem
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8.1-wireless-networking-ipconfig,25555.html
"This is horrible response and I've seen it given by other MS engineers," another complaint reads. "Thousands of people are having this problem since the 8.1 release. I highly doubt all of us had our routers go bad at the same time. Own up to this Microsoft and please fix it. The standard response will not cut it anymore."

Back