The truth isn't very useful for measuring NVIDIA cards-BJORN

nelg

Veteran
I followed a link over to Bjorn3D and what I read left me shaking my head.
How about some more controversy? The v49 patch of the latest installment in the life of Lara Croft introduced a benchmarking demo. It was promptly pulled out of the subsequent patch a few weeks later. No official explanation was given, but the rumors on the Web were that NVIDIA cried foul over the scores its cards received. Given the relative parity of our tests, NVIDIA was probably right to complain. Whether it was intentional or not, this particular demo isn't very useful for measuring NVIDIA cards. The fact that the game sucks is another strike against it, too.
my bold

LINK

Well that seems reasonable to me.

Obviously if the benchmark didn't show nVidia in first place than there is something wrong with the benchmark. :?

(Ok, my real thoughts on it can be found here...but I didn't think them apprapo for B3D.)

Given the relative parity of our tests, NVIDIA was probably right to complain. Whether it was intentional or not, this particular demo isn't very useful for measuring NVIDIA cards.

So is he trying to say that playing this game with Nvidia cards is not a useful way to measure how well Nvidia cards will perform in this game?

AlphaWolf said:
So is he trying to say that playing this game with Nvidia cards is not a useful way to measure how well Nvidia cards will perform in this game?
No, no...he's saying that it's not a fair way to judge how nVidia cards will perform in that game. ;)

BTW-I just shot off a round of e-mails to the author and the Bjorn crew, I like a lot of the guys at that site and this just doesn't seem like them. I mentioned this thread, so expect some company.

digitalwanderer said:
AlphaWolf said:
No, no...he's saying that it's not a fair way to judge how nVidia cards will perform in that game. ;)

BTW-I just shot off a round of e-mails to the author and the Bjorn crew, I like a lot of the guys at that site and this just doesn't seem like them. I mentioned this thread, so expect some company.
No, i think what he is saying is:
All our other tests show these two card to be much closer performance wise, ergo, this benchmark must be flawed.

The only problem is, its the only benchmark they run that really uses DX9 shaders. DUH!

the game may suck

but I think its a good game to test shader use, it is a real game afterall, that is why I still use it

a custom timedemo + fraps = good measure of performance to compare cards with

Head-to-head tests with the ATi 9600XT confirm that essentially the two cards are even in terms of performance. The 9600XT has a slight visual edge, however, at least to my eyes.
Is it just me or is this review one of them that is just SCREAMING for a 3dm2k3 run in it?

digitalwanderer said:
Head-to-head tests with the ATi 9600XT confirm that essentially the two cards are even in terms of performance. The 9600XT has a slight visual edge, however, at least to my eyes.
Is it just me or is this review one of them that is just SCREAMING for a 3dm2k3 run in it?
i like that quote because its only true when you ignore any Pixel shader 2.0 type tests (labeled as inconsistent)....
what tards.

digital , you misunderstood. I mean, it reads like it was written before 5900XT/9800 NP went to $199.

I think it is quite funny that they surgest that the developers of Tomb Raider intentionally made Nvidia look bad, considering that it's a TWIMTBP game. Now that's a nice conspiracy theory. :?

digitalwanderer said:
ben6 said:
I wonder when that review was written...
At the top of the page on that travesty of a 'review' said:
Author: Morrolan e'Drien
Date: 2004-01-30
Today. :oops:

:oops: Morrolan e'Drien?? Dude, he wields one of the Great Weapons that will eat your soul as soon as look at you. Don't screw around with a Dragonlord on a rampage.

Or maybe it's just another cat using his name.

Edit: :oops:

geo said:
digitalwanderer said:
ben6 said:
I wonder when that review was written...
At the top of the page on that travesty of a 'review' said:
Author: Morrolan e'Drien
Date: 2004-01-30
Today. :oops:

<blink, blink> Morrolan e'Drien?? Dude, he wields one of the Great Weapons that will eat your soul as soon as look at you. Don't screw around with a Dragonlord on a rampage.

Or maybe it's just another cat using his name.
why is your text blinking. my head burns with agony.

The Baron said:
why is your text blinking. my head burns with agony.
Very good question...cause it is bugging the hell out of me too. For a minute I was wondering WTF was wrong with Firebird or my comp.

but I think its a good game to test shader use, it is a real game afterall, that is why I still use it

i'll agree that it's a good shader test, but in a way it's just as synthetic as 3dmark. why, because nobody plays it they just bench with it.
c:

Well its obvivious to me the problem is here that you guys are using games as benchmarks. They aren't made for benchmarking so don't use them as a benchmark and it will save you so many problems such as nvidia lower the IQ in them.

i was just comenting on the relevance of the benchmark itself. sure, benching tr:aod is a fine way to tell how fast your card/system will run tr:aod, but how many people are actualy playing the game? i could bench the hell out of chasm:the rift all day but it deosn't make the game relevant to any decent amout of gamers out there, who will not be playing the game anyway.
c:

see colon said:
i was just comenting on the relevance of the benchmark itself. sure, benching tr:aod is a fine way to tell how fast your card/system will run tr:aod, but how many people are actualy playing the game? i could bench the hell out of chasm:the rift all day but it deosn't make the game relevant to any decent amout of gamers out there, who will not be playing the game anyway.
c:
oh my, what a tangled web you weave....
Benching a game provides more than just information regarding how your systemw ill run that game.
If you know the game is bottlenecked by shader calcs, for instance, then you can easily exprapolate which card has better shader performance....

Back