The Return Of DiVX?

I have a hard time understanding what the big deal is here.

DC, I have to agree with Chickenpants. How does this affect piracy? They can be ripped just like any other DVD. Other than that, I agree with you. It's just another distribution method for rentals, but it doesn't require the seller to make sure it's returned.

As for trash, anyone consider that it takes gasoline to go to the video store and back? Since these could be sold in any type of store, they could also save the original trip to the video store for high volume releases, as you could pick it up while at the convenience or grocery store.

Who's to say these won't be recyclable in a few years? Then it'll probably be a net positive impact on the environment.

Finally, even if there is no recycling and we ignore the pollution saved, this is such a minor impact environmentally that it's not even worth the consideration. Americans dispose of about 250 million tonnes of garbage per year. They make about 3 billion rentals per year, not all DVD's (Damn, you guys rent a lot of videos! 10 per capita per year!?! Don't you watch in groups?). Assuming all of that becomes disposable DVD, we're talking about 1/5000th of the total garbage.

It'll never become all either, maybe 5-10% at the very most. Rentals will probably be slowly replaced by pay per view anyway. The worst thing about hardcore environmentalists is their inability to understand the magnitude of numbers and putting them in perspective.

The netflix/screenselect distribution model kind of bypasses the argument that it takes petrol to go to the video store and back, as (presumbly) the postman is walking to/past your house anyway and most people (I assume) will either drop off discs as they go past a post box, or have postboxes near enough to walk to and back.

If they make them recyclable then great (although presumably they will want you to send them back to be recycled which looks kind of like netflix again).

I am not sure I agree with the attitude that you can look at 1 individual item as a percentage of total garbage and say that relatively speaking it makes no difference. Relatively speaking this is true, but it is probably true for a very large percent of the garbage. If we take that attitude all the time then we are not looking at the big picture. Pay per view is definatly the way it is going to go (although as DC says it is unlikely that they will get rid of buying an actual disc).

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a hardcore environmentalist, or even a softcore one. In fact this is probably my first ever discussion of environmental issues :)

CC

Back