The Return Of DiVX?

WHat happens if one sprays the label side of one of those self-destructing DVDs with a clear laquer of some sort? That should stop the oxidization process that ruins the reflective layer...

Guden Oden said:
WHat happens if one sprays the label side of one of those self-destructing DVDs with a clear laquer of some sort? That should stop the oxidization process that ruins the reflective layer...

That would in turn make your DVD player disposable. ;)

Digi,
Yes, and like PC says, it'll self-destruct your DVD player too, and if you watch it, your brain as well. Hollywood is really serious about keeping their intellectual property these days, they need to crack down on all the illegal copies people keep in their long-term memories.

They're working on a new sort of license where you pay a small sum every time you remember something from a movie (slightly more if you quote whole or part of lines out loud), but the suits fear the system will be abused by people not paying up the way they're supposed to. Therefore they're going ahead with this self-destruct thing. Should keep down the piracy significantly, they feel.

I believe I first read about this story on slashdot earlier this week.

And Digi, No, ignoring Guden, the copy won't self destruct, tho agreeing with Guden, your brain might from watching the crap Hollywood puts out these days.

I guess they figure the unwashed masses won't have a clue that they can actually peel off the protective layer, and just copy the disc to a DVD-R straight up with no problems.

What gets me is that they are trying to push this without a guarantee on how long the disc will last, i believe i read another story that said anywhere from 5-48 hours. Then it becomes just as good as an AOL disc to help fill up the landfills.

If they'd just get behind a DRM enabled VOD system a la Netflix/Tivo, they could dispense with the trash part of it.

I'm sure a player could be put together with ~$100 BOM that would enable a bit-torrent like distribution model in which people queue up the movies they want to rent, delete them when they're done they'd make money, the average person would be happy, the sun would shine, peace in the middle east, etc. etc.

digitalwanderer said:
So if'n I make a rip of "Noel" will it self-destruct too? :|
Probably not, but I suspect that watching it might make your head self-destruct.

[EDIT: Ahh I see Chris made a similar comment]

The self-destructing DVDs are a perfect fit for renting videos ala Netflix. Once again, people are leaping to conclusions thinking that Hollywood will completely replace permanent "lifetime viewing" DVDs with expiring DVDs. This is NOT a repeat of Circuit City DiVX. If Hollywood truly wanted that, they could stop selling DVDs, and only rent them.

Everytime something like this is introduced, the resident pirates on the forum leap to the conclusion that your ability to own a DVD will be taken away. People who don't want to own a movie, will rent anyway, and Hollywood makes big bucks off people who buy to own and collect.

Think they'll be able to self 48hr expiring Star Wars Trilogy boxed sets? Come on. The ownership model is here to stay. The only thing that will change is the distribution model and DRM.

People will want to buy and own good movies, and rent shitty movies. Just like some people still want to buy good CDs, but will buy individual songs from iTunes otherwise (or just pirate), because if something doesn't deliver complete value, people opt for cheaper models (rent)

Once again, DC is jumping to conclusions that everyone who doesn't agree with him is a pirate jumping to conclusions.

But seriously, why would anyone in their right mind create a DVD that is meant to be watched once and then thrown away? As if there wasn't enough garbage coming out of Hollywood.

Arrrrr... me mateys, arrrr....

DemoCoder said:
The self-destructing DVDs are a perfect fit for renting videos ala Netflix. Once again, people are leaping to conclusions thinking that Hollywood will completely replace permanent "lifetime viewing" DVDs with expiring DVDs. This is NOT a repeat of Circuit City DiVX. If Hollywood truly wanted that, they could stop selling DVDs, and only rent them.

Everytime something like this is introduced, the resident pirates on the forum leap to the conclusion that your ability to own a DVD will be taken away. People who don't want to own a movie, will rent anyway, and Hollywood makes big bucks off people who buy to own and collect.

Think they'll be able to self 48hr expiring Star Wars Trilogy boxed sets? Come on. The ownership model is here to stay. The only thing that will change is the distribution model and DRM.

People will want to buy and own good movies, and rent shitty movies. Just like some people still want to buy good CDs, but will buy individual songs from iTunes otherwise (or just pirate), because if something doesn't deliver complete value, people opt for cheaper models (rent)

I don't see how this really helps the piracy problems anyway.
The majority of pirate DVD's seem to come from within the industry (DVD's made for oscar evaluation etc).
An expiring DVD wouldn't prevent piracy in any way, so long as they rip the DVD before the disc expires they have a pefect copy of it.

The other downside of the expiring disc model is the cost and environmental issues.
I doubt that they can produce an expiring disc for less than the price of a rental DVD which should last for quite a lot of rentals. Fairly certain that the price for 'combating piracy' will get passed onto the consumer.

Simply throwing away the DVD after watching, it is a disgustingly wasteful way to behave in my opinion, the only benefit of this seems to me the convenience of not having to return the disc to the rental shop. When places like www.screenselect.co.uk (I signed up last week and am quite happy so far) will deliver to your door, allow you to prebook films before they are out and let you keep the dvd's for as long as you like (I assume that they have an upper time limit) and even give you a prepaid envelope to return the disc, I consider this as convenient as you could possibly want.

CC

RussSchultz said:
I think you two missed what Democoder was saying.

I don't think so. I didn't see anyone suggesting that you wouldn't be able to buy DVD's (or anyone suggesting that they themselves pirate DVD's)

I think most of the comments are simply that this sucks as a method of rights management. It is basically a way of trying to put DRM onto a system which doesn't have DRM built in. A 48 hour time limit is far more easily enforced by rental companies charging late fees, than a method which simply helps to fill landfill sites, and does not at all address piracy.

CC.

Considering the price on DVDR burners (or even DVD+-RW) - next to nothing - and the easy accessability of programs that will rip, transcode and then burn a movie onto a single-layer disc with only a marginal loss of quality, I can't see how a 48hr DVD is anything but trash meant to be sold to the public. It's no better than mcdonald's styrofoam boxes and probably even worse, as there's more materials used in a DVD than in a styrofoam box.

Captain Chickenpants said:
RussSchultz said:
I think you two missed what Democoder was saying.

I don't think so. I didn't see anyone suggesting that you wouldn't be able to buy DVD's (or anyone suggesting that they themselves pirate DVD's)
Perhaps not here, but the big argument against DIVX was "hollywood wants to charge you for every view", and hence selling to own for DVDs would stop.

I guess.
It was still a bit of a rude generalisation he made to suggest that the people posting are pirates, simply because they disagree with DRM. I strongly resent the way that the music industry is adding copy protection to CD's. It is once again a technology that causes no problem to the real pirates, but seriously inconveniences genuine consumers.

They need to look forward to new formats with sensible DRM, rather than breaking existing formats.

CC

Yes, DC, I know exactly how Netflix works. That doesn't change the fact that you grossly mischaracterized people's reasons for opposing this.

DemoCoder said:
Do you guys know how Netflix works? If not, go read about it, think about it, then reread my message.
I didn't know what netflix was, but if you re-read my message you will see that I don't think the 48 hour dvd is a perfect fit for netflix (I use screenselect.co.uk but it is pretty much the same thing), sure it may be slightly more convenient to throw away your rented DVD rather than post it back, but it is expensive and wasteful.

CC

Back