The problem with Burnout 2

G

The cars looks like boxy blocks. :(

But thanks to the power of Xbox, we can say god riddens to low polygon cars! :LOL:

burnout2_021303_21.jpg

burnout2_021303_30.jpg

Nice increase in car details. 8)

GC does? Where does it states so? I know Criterion PR specifically state that Xbox version will have 2X details than the PS2 one. Good for Cubites if the increase is there, im cool here. :oops:

it's a shame those shots don't show anything different than what I'm playing right now...

BTW; Chap, did you even play the game?

The cars look more solid and you can see nicer enviro reflections on the body.

chap said:
GC does? Where does it states so? I know Criterion PR specifically state that Xbox version will have 2X details than the PS2 one. Good for Cubites if the increase is there, im cool here. :oops:

Yes, at least Criterion stated so in one of their press release.

BTW, I think the graphics are quite good, except for the tree textures which are very low detail.

yeah chap, now that you mention it, I also see that the aliasing is more apparent too... ;)

Xbox Exclusive Features

Increased polygon count on ALL player cars - utilizing the extra graphical power available on the Xbox - vehicles have more than twice the detail than in the PS2 version.
Real-time cubic environment mapping - all vehicles reflect the game world making the vehicles look much more realistic.
Custom soundtracks option - this allows you to create your own Burnout 2 soundtrack, choosing the specially composed original music for Burnout 2 - or any of your own music you've stored on the Xbox hard disk.
In-game real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 audio - experience Burnout 2 like never before. Dolby Digital 5.1 provides the ultimate Burnout 2 experience. Feel the roar of the traffic as 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound give the most exciting and entertaining racing experience yet.
Xbox Live- hi-score table support - Compare your Burnout 2 skills with the best Burnout players in the world and your friends.
Xbox Live- Over sixty online leader boards including best time on each track, highest scores in Crash Mode and other Burnout 2 statistics.

GameCube & Xbox Features

Offensive Driving 101, where you can "Learn to Burn" from the Burnout Driving School.
All-new Pursuit races allow players to race a police car and ram opponents off the road.
Crashes are bigger, badder, and more heart-stopping than any seen before: Vehicles deform and car parts fly across the highway!
15 more crash junctions than PlayStation 2 version. This mode is now twice the size as the PS2 game mode.
Advanced lighting effects such as Bloom Lighting: highlights reflect off of windshields and metal exactly as in real-life.
New Custom Series Mode that allows you to race modified vehicles complete with body kits and decals.
Six new United States locations, including Miami, Los Angeles, The Rocky Mountains, New Mexico and a busy international airport.
Thirty new stages to drive with fourteen all-new vehicles.
Seven secret vehicles to unlock including police cars, 1950's hotrods and stock cars.
Realistic weather effects, such as snow, rain and fog.
All-new points-based championship gameplay structure.
Vehicles can get air and earn boosts by jumping.
Intelligent traffic system, featuring three distinct types of driver behaviors.
Upgraded graphics engine.
Significant increases in polygon count and texture size.
True specular reflections with specular mapping.
True specular lighting with specular mapping on all surfaces.
Dynamic weather effects including rain and snow.
Anti-aliasing and flicker filtering.
Progressive scan TV support for NTSC version.
Dolby ProLogic II support.
Specular bloom effects for ultra-realistic specular lighting and halos.
More "Hollywood" style crashes.
Enhanced traffic system supporting complex intelligent behaviours.
State-of-the-art CPU opponent AI with advanced humanistic spatial awareness.
Enhanced engine audio model including real-time distortion processing.
Dynamically mixed context-sensitive audio streaming.
Reflective surfaces.
Enhanced instance rendering.
Enhanced streaming technology.
Non interrupt-driven texture upload system for higher performance.

I see no mention of increase polygon in GC version. :oops:

*shakes head*

I was actually thinking of the thing I'm playing on my screen, not from some screens posted god knows when.. and the point, which you unsuprisingly missed, was that the so apparent visual upgrade (2x I believe was stated) is so noticable upon further examination of the above posted screens, that I thought I'd comment on the difference in aliasing aswell (in which the difference is as apparent aswell). ;)

I played BO2 onscreen and i see boxy cars too. I see Xbox screens and the cars look "beefier" and has better reflections too boot. :D Yes, i do see all that. :oops:

why waste our time arguing about screenshots ?

just wait some serious site actually compares each version of this game..

Magnum PI said:
why waste our time arguing about screenshots ?

just wait some serious site actually compares each version of this game..

Ok. :)

chap said:
GameCube & Xbox Features

Offensive Driving 101, where you can "Learn to Burn" from the Burnout Driving School.
All-new Pursuit races allow players to race a police car and ram opponents off the road.
Crashes are bigger, badder, and more heart-stopping than any seen before: Vehicles deform and car parts fly across the highway!
15 more crash junctions than PlayStation 2 version. This mode is now twice the size as the PS2 game mode.
Advanced lighting effects such as Bloom Lighting: highlights reflect off of windshields and metal exactly as in real-life.
New Custom Series Mode that allows you to race modified vehicles complete with body kits and decals.
Six new United States locations, including Miami, Los Angeles, The Rocky Mountains, New Mexico and a busy international airport.
Thirty new stages to drive with fourteen all-new vehicles.
Seven secret vehicles to unlock including police cars, 1950's hotrods and stock cars.
Realistic weather effects, such as snow, rain and fog.
All-new points-based championship gameplay structure.
Vehicles can get air and earn boosts by jumping.
Intelligent traffic system, featuring three distinct types of driver behaviors.
Upgraded graphics engine.
Significant increases in polygon count and texture size.
True specular reflections with specular mapping.
True specular lighting with specular mapping on all surfaces.
Dynamic weather effects including rain and snow.
Anti-aliasing and flicker filtering.

Progressive scan TV support for NTSC version.
Dolby ProLogic II support.
Specular bloom effects for ultra-realistic specular lighting and halos.
More "Hollywood" style crashes.
Enhanced traffic system supporting complex intelligent behaviours.
State-of-the-art CPU opponent AI with advanced humanistic spatial awareness.
Enhanced engine audio model including real-time distortion processing.
Dynamically mixed context-sensitive audio streaming.
Reflective surfaces.
Enhanced instance rendering.
Enhanced streaming technology.
Non interrupt-driven texture upload system for higher performance.

I see no mention of increase polygon in GC version. :oops:

kthxowned.

GC version is probably closer to 1.5-1.75x the poly counts, but definitely not much less than 2x.

Custom Soundtrack is the real, substantial enhancement there. By far best thing they've added. Graphics in the PS2 version are already very good and really do look pretty much like those screens. The cars are still quite ugly looking (which indeed was my only complain about BO2 graphics) they now have better reflections, though.

kthxowned.

GC version is probably closer to 1.5-1.75x the poly counts, but definitely not much less than 2x.
Actaully, no. What you hilighted is just copy pasted from BO2 PS2 specs sheet and refers to an increase from BO1.

marconelly! said:
Custom Soundtrack is the real, substantial enhancement there. By far best thing they've added. Graphics in the PS2 version are already very good and really do look pretty much like those screens. The cars are still quite ugly looking (which indeed was my only complain about BO2 graphics) they now have better reflections, though.

kthxowned.

Actaully, no. What you hilighted is just copy pasted from BO2 PS2 specs sheet and refers to an increase from BO1.

Agreed on the custom soundtrack, but I copied the list from Chap's post - it says 'GameCube & Xbox features' at the top, I have no idea where he got it though.

Tagrineth,
the "graphic engine" part of the quote is the list of improvements over Burnout 1. Moreover, it's actually just a copy paste of list for PS2 version improvements in the sequel.

Which is kinda neat since it allows us to read funnies like "non interrupt texture loading" as a feature on XBox or GC :D

Back