The Power of 3...Your 3 or Mine?

Sobek

Locally Operating
Veteran
Recently with the 7800 GT launch Nvidia hyped it a bit with the whole 'Power of 3' garb. Now, their idea behind it is :

The "The Power of 3" is an upcoming marketing campaign with an underlying goal that benefits the industry and consumers. NVIDIA has identified three key features that define the standard for today's graphics cards. If a graphics card does not support all three features, then it is based on "old technology.

Now, browse on over to www.nvidia.com and take a look at that main ad that comes up for 'The Power of 3'. This is where my annoyance (and confusion...?) comes in...

Am I supposed to believe that one of the 3 things required for a videocard to be 'next-gen' is Nvidias own SLi technology? I think not, how in the hell can one companies propriatary technology be one of the requirements for a truly next-gen video card. Sure, you can debate that it's a little more generic than that and just say that anything remotely similar (Crossfire for example) would fit the bill, but I don't really see it that way. Bottlenecking and buggy profile management aside, SLi isn't exactly 'next-gen', rather it's closer to 'e-penis eye candy'.

I'm just trying to say that, even though it may just be a nice catchy little thing, it seems a little self-indulgent on Nv's behalf. It's almost like saying "If you want next-gen, you HAVE to use our technology. And I don't like that.

Pick my rant to bits, that's what it's here for :)

Thanks for reading.

radeonic2 said:
This has been dicussed before:(

It you used that argument in the politics, religion, ghosts, UFO, abortion and "should chip shop chips have gravy on them ? " forum then you'd rapidly have no forum left. :)

To me it seems strange that nvidia are advertising these 3 things when the opposition might have them soon anyhow.

Maybe ATI can counter with a "Power of 1" campaign, where if your Graphic company doesn't have a "T" in its name, then it's all old technology. :)

dizietsma said:
It you used that argument in the politics, religion, ghosts, UFO, abortion and "should chip shop chips have gravy on them ? " forum then you'd rapidly have no forum left. :)

To me it seems strange that nvidia are advertising these 3 things when the opposition might have them soon anyhow.
Well it's been discussed so recently:p

Sobek said:
I'm just trying to say that, even though it may just be a nice catchy little thing, it seems a little self-indulgent on Nv's behalf. It's almost like saying "If you want next-gen, you HAVE to use our technology. And I don't like that.

Pick my rant to bits, that's what it's here for :)

Thanks for reading.

er duh it's marketing, it's meant to make Joe Average think I have to use nVidia. Do you think nVidia are going 'boo-hoo some opinionated nobody on a forum doesn't like it'?

NVIDIA has identified three key features that define the standard for today's graphics cards. If a graphics card does not support all three features, then it is based on "old technology.

Now where's that laughing smiley.

It would be funny if Ati's next gen part supports 'the power of 4'.
4? Yes, Crossfire & SM3.0 & HDR & HDR with FSAA. :)

Back