The Outfit (360) Interview: PCs Too Weak To Run This Game

stolen from Borys at GAF:

WP: Xbox, PC, Xbox 360 .. all Microsoft, so I have to ask, is there any possible way we might see The Outfit on PC? How hard, or easy, would it be ?

AC: Fun fact: Up until a couple months ago, we had a PC version of the game that ran in parallel to our 360 version (mostly used for testing purposes). But now that we have a lot of the wizbang graphical features in on the 360 only (MSAA, depth of field, heat shimmer, etc.), the PC version looks like the ugly step child. The 360 is much more powerful than your average PC, so we'd have to make a lot of sacrifices to get the game going again on that platform. You never know though!

full interview at: http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=30803&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Alstrong said:
keyphrase being "average PC" ;)

well, yeah. But PC games have to be developed with this "average PC" in mind, because that's what the majority of PC gamers use to play these games.

That's good to know that devs are starting to squeeze a little more out of the 360 - I wonder if this engine will make use of the tile-rendering/eDRAM?

That said though, this thread belongs more in the games section I think. ;)

hadareud said:
well, yeah. But PC games have to be developed with this "average PC" in mind, because that's what the majority of PC gamers use to play these games.

Most PC games are scalable, and will run just fine on low end to high end, that is, if the developer cares about the greater marketshare.

Alstrong said:
keyphrase being "average PC" ;)
The fanbois at Sony Age seem to grasping on this quote for some strange reason. Without defining "average PC" you're still getting no where.

I doubt Relic was developing the PC game on a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 6800 Ultra in it.

If this was about a PC game though, they would be singing a different tune, namely "PS3 am beastly!"

Just an observation of mine.

I consider "average PC" to be the PC with the number 1 graphics chip supplier: Intel. And we all know how crappy integrated graphics chips are on PC. It seems logical enough that the company with the largest market share would be skewing the average in their favour.

Alpha_Spartan said:
If this was about a PC game though, they would be singing a different tune, namely "PS3 am beastly!" .
And if this were a PS3 game you'd be grasping at that quote. Funny how that works.

We know this game isn't impossible on the latest graphic cards by looking at videos and pictures of it. But run with it how you want.

Alpha_Spartan said:
The fanbois at Sony Age seem to grasping on this quote for some strange reason. Without defining "average PC" you're still getting no where.

I doubt Relic was developing the PC game on a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a 6800 Ultra in it.

If this was about a PC game though, they would be singing a different tune, namely "PS3 am beastly!"

This thread isnt about PS3 or fanbois on other forums though..

Alpha_Spartan said:

It's more about PC than PS3.

inefficient said:
Damn - I was looking forward to another PC WW2 game.
Is that what this is? MEH! Stop making more god damn WWII games! If for nothing else then because even the germans deserve a break after sixty feckin years! ;)

Alpha_Spartan said:

Just an observation, as already pointed out, this thread is not about fan-persons from other forums, nor about the PS3.
Also, calling other persons "fan-boys" just as posting in an agressive manner is un-called for in this very forum.

Folks, and that goes to everyone, enough already with the snide "consoles war" remarks and the passive agressive behaviors going on lately.

Back