The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many chips do you think they need to satisfy the market that goes after the $650 parts? If anything i think the flagship parts are the least stressful in terms of product output and demand.
Atleast 40,000 at launch. I think Nvidia goes with a higher number.

icecold1983 said:
ut2k4 - EXTREME stuttering, its so bad that u would think the fps is just dropping to 1 if u didnt have fraps on. also sometimes when u load up the game ur system will just crash. u have to hard reset your computer.

The stuttering only happens on certain maps. I have not had any hard crashes. And any hard crash is likely related to your hardware stability (overclocking, shitty power supply, bad memory than the drivers.)

icecold1983 said:
coh - random performance drops by about 75%, alt tabbing and turning aa off then back on usually fixes it. also random distortion of the terrain

I haven't had random performance drops. It almost sounds like you have something in the background-like a virus scanner. Random distortion in the terrain should be easy to verify with a screenshot. An old 97.x driver did have some form of texture corruption (glitching) in this game, but 97.92 doesn't have that problem.

icecold1983 said:
fear - drops to the teens and below when killing someone in slowmo. game will randomly drop in performance by about 50%, then after about 6 seconds go back to normal. im not referring to loading a new area, u can just be sitting in an empty room when it occurs.

That doesn't happen to me, and slowmo mode is supposed to slow down the game. It sounds like these problems which aren't widespread point to an issue with YOUR setup.

icecold1983 said:
dmomm - drops to 15 fps and below simply by equipping certain weapons, also flickering polygons and textures is a regular occurrence

A drop to 15 fps and below from switching weapons is a driver issue? It sounds like a UI issue to me. I also have not had any of those drops.

icecold1983 said:
i can honestly say these are the worst drivers ive ever had to use. lcd scaling doesnt even work which is a huge downer

Given that the majority of the problems that you've stated are far from being established as a result of poor drivers, it's a bit premature to call them the worst.

PEBKAC seems more likely given the fact that I haven't experienced these problems (save for the UT2004 stuttering [on some maps, not all], which I hear is fixed in a new Vista driver revision) on my 8800GTX with 97.92 drivers on XP SP2.

How many G80 chips do you think NV has shipped since the launch?

Edit: Well, maybe I misunderstood your comment. My point is that NV has sold lots of G80 boards already. (I've heard somewhere along the line of 400,000~600,000 units so far. By the time R600 ships, I bet NV will have marked 1M.)

actually they said they "shipped" just under 400,000 since october at a recent conference call....just so you know.

Atleast 40,000 at launch. I think Nvidia goes with a higher number.

And assuming the chip is infact without problems, production should be starting any day now, it doesnt take that long to begin to pump out chips unless their expectations are totally unreasonable like the X800XT PE where the chip was pushed to within an inch of its life. This is all stuff that should of been planned for in advance and doesnt cause things like event rescheduling.

I say this because from your previous comment you made it sound like they were prepairing a part that needed to meet the demand of millions.

Last edited by a moderator:
And assuming the chip is infact without problems, production should be starting any day now, it doesnt take that long to begin to pump out chips unless their expectations are totally unreasonable like the X800XT PE where the chip was pushed to within an inch of its life. This is all stuff that should of been planned for in advance and doesnt cause things like event rescheduling.
How much time would you assume in producing & shipping 40,000 units to AIBs?

Also Dailytech said that XT would be released one month after XTX. The delay would make sense if they wanted a good inventory of XTX and XT skus at launch.

So, who's up for a 65nm R600 then?

My guess -
Delay launch of ~2 months and going straight to the 'refesh', i.e. 65nm version.

The stuttering only happens on certain maps. I have not had any hard crashes. And any hard crash is likely related to your hardware stability (overclocking, shitty power supply, bad memory than the drivers.)

I haven't had random performance drops. It almost sounds like you have something in the background-like a virus scanner. Random distortion in the terrain should be easy to verify with a screenshot. An old 97.x driver did have some form of texture corruption (glitching) in this game, but 97.92 doesn't have that problem.

That doesn't happen to me, and slowmo mode is supposed to slow down the game. It sounds like these problems which aren't widespread point to an issue with YOUR setup.

A drop to 15 fps and below from switching weapons is a driver issue? It sounds like a UI issue to me. I also have not had any of those drops.

Given that the majority of the problems that you've stated are far from being established as a result of poor drivers, it's a bit premature to call them the worst.

PEBKAC seems more likely given the fact that I haven't experienced these problems (save for the UT2004 stuttering [on some maps, not all], which I hear is fixed in a new Vista driver revision) on my 8800GTX with 97.92 drivers on XP SP2.

not a system problem as it only happens with ut2k4. none of my system is oced, my temps arent high, and my power supply is top of the line and ive been thru 3 of them, happened on all 3. also tried a 2nd hard drive, same issue. just because it doesnt stutter on every map doesn tmake it any less of an issue, the maps it stutters on happen to be some of the most popular maps. goliath, grendel, rankin, phobos 2, osiris 2, deck 17 etc.

ive already met other people on coh who have the same problem, so its not an issue specific to me. if it was a virus scanner i wouldnt have to disabke and re-enable aa. the terrain corruption bug still exists, ill take a ss next time it happens.

slowmo is not suppose to bring your fps to the teens, u simply need to activate slow mo outside of a fight to see that your fps will remain high. both fear issues have been confirmed by numerous users on nvnews.

i dont see why else simply selecting certain weapons would bring an 8800 to 15 fps.

Eh, G80 isn't selling well, hasn't sold well, and there are no games to play anyway til Crysis. This wont have much effect.

Eh, G80 isn't selling well, hasn't sold well, and there are no games to play anyway til Crysis. This wont have much effect.

Edit: assuming it's not Nvidia FUD anyway, which it surely is. But I see this thread exploded with cheerleaders of bad news, as every thread at B3D dealing with ATI seems like..

Seems most of B3D is basically people cheerleading wanting AMD to go out of business. And the moderation in this thread is sad, Geo jump on any Nvidia trolling immidiatly but comments like vertex shader that are ridiculous "well, this is the beginning of the end for ATI" are ignored.

:oops:

I know what you are talking about ATi's name being trashed in every forum out there. Trust me, I have seen it. However, I do disagree with the fact that this delay has no effect. It has major effect. I'm one of the die hard red guys, and I will tell you right now, that this news makes me want to buy a G80.

Vista is here and I was hoping to have R600 by now. BioShock is on it's way, and I was hoping to play through HL2 and FEAR with everything maxed. One good news out of this delay is that I'm going to go ahead and fully prepare for R600. I'm going to go out and buy me a opty165, 2 more gb's of ram, and Vista.

I notice there's no relative report or news on yahoo finance and economics, tomhardware news and anandtech news. Also no analyst from wall street has a relative analysis report. So it's a fud.

22_NGxv5WhDKDDK.jpg

Dammit why did you qoute my edit :D

I dont even care about the product anymore, I'm just sick of waiting and want to see the end of this stupid thread! It'll never come!!!

What, it'll be April at the earliest now?

Nvidia will have a refresh out before ATI gets product one out..how sad is that.

They need to fire a bunch of people at ATI/AMD..

Or Intel needs to enter the market faster so we can have actual competition..

I notice there's no relative report or news on yahoo finance and economics, tomhardware news and anandtech news. Also no analyst from wall street has a relative analysis report. So it's a fud.

No, the Inq is reporting it now! :smile:

It's not fud. People whom had been invited to the tech day have said it's true.

Add Guru3D to the list of reports. I seriously doubt its FUD, a "tactic to fool NVIDIA" or any other such nonsense

http://www.guru3d.com/

Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn

As a lot of sites will report this soon. Guru3D can confirm that the upcoming AMD.ATI R600 launch has been delayed. We just received a call from an AMD's spokesperson explaining the situation. Reasoning behind the decision has to do with a number of items, among them performance as it seems. Yet AMD is telling the press it has to do with "Strategic reasons".

I personally believe that there are hefty yield issues producing this silicon. The Radeon X2900 XTX would have been the first R600 based cards with the NDA passing at the start of CeBIT and in the stores in roughly six weeks from now.

Like many other members of the media we where invited towards an AMD.ATI technology briefing starting on March 11th here in the Netherlands. So this was cancelled. I have no idea what this means for the CeBIT .. but it isn't looking good, that's a fact.

The original release was planned in November last year already. Again this is a hefty delay and the R600 fans will have to wait a while longer before they can purchase AMD-ATI's new flagship products.

So in short; this means that Q1 is a complete no go for R600 based products .. making this a release slated likely somewhere in May/June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back