The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also cannot figure how you think a 30-day or so delay means that ATi has "lost the chance to compete with the G80." As Vista adoption is still in its infancy (although I have Ultimate now and am using it to good effect with my x1950 Pro AGP), and as the first DX10-required game is a long way off, it seems to me that ATi has plenty of time to both compete with G80 and any near-term (this year) product refresh of the G80. What's the compelling reason to buy either a G80 or an R600 at present? DX9 gaming performance? I rather doubt it, myself. It's Vista and DX10, isn't it? So I think that time is rather plentiful for ATi in that respect. Conversely, it could well wind up that nVidia regrets having marketed the G80 as the Vista-ready product it obviously isn't (at least with respect to DX10 and some other aspects nVidia covers in the link above.) Perhaps ATi feels it imprudent to rush out R600 only to make similar mistakes...? I think this is certainly just as reasonable a proposition as anything else.

G80 will soon be superseded by it's refresh, so by the time R600 arrives, it looks like ATI simply did not have a competitive product while Nvidia cleaned up with with the fastest DX9 hardware, the fastest Vista hardware (even with dodgy drivers), and the halo effect that all that implies.

I doubt AMD is thinking that they don't need to bother just because Nvidia's current Vista drivers need improvement. Nvidia's drivers have needed loads of work for a long time, and they just shrug it off like water off a duck's back. There is still all the XP and DX9 market to consider, there is still the fact that G80 is a much faster and more advanced card with more features than anything you can buy from ATI, and that Nvidia has had free reign to both sell and market that product with impunity for nearly half a year already.

If Nvidia does have marketing issue with G80, they won't care. They'll expertly brush it under the carpet, and sell you the refresh, and all the while there's nothing to provide a credible alternative from AMD. AMD needs to pull it's finger out and sell us good products, instead of just talking about it. It's no use having a better card and drivers if no one can buy them, and it's no use beating the opposition roundly just as the opposition brings out a newer better product that negates yours.

I'm a rather strange gamer, I play basically two games, World Of Warcraft and GTR2.
Now WoW runs pretty damn well on the 6800GT in my third system, but to run GTR2 with all the pretty (and I really like the pretty, cos its my favourite game ever) I need my 8800GTX.

So for me DX9 performance is pretty compelling...

I don't mean to imply that it wouldn't be compelling for you, and for others as well, but I think that it's "Vista/DX10" marketing that is going to heavily influence sales for both G80 and R600. I think that considering its pre-Vista release ship date that nVidia would have been better off promoting G80 as a DX9-specific product with an supplemental addendum about future Vista/DX10 support. OTOH, if this is what nVidia had done, perhaps it would have negatively affected pre-Vista purchases of G80 products. After all, it's only in the hindsight of Vista's release that we understand that the state of G80 development isn't as "Vista-ready" as nVidia originally stated. As marketing oriented a company as nVidia has traditionally been, it is both surprising--and yet it isn't surprising--to see this happen. But none of this takes anything away from the G80 as a powerful DX9/XP gaming solution, of course--not at all. But I think it does show how overzealous marketing can manifest itself as a double-edged sword. That's why I think it reasonable that ATi's purported R600 delay may in fact be motivated by a desire not to mirror nVidia's mistakes in that regard.

Your points are rather pointless, however, because NVIDIA already sold 400K units/$50M of G80s. It doesn't matter WHY you think people are buying them - they just are. Assuming a 50/50 split, that'd be $25M of revenue AMD missed on. It's not huge compared to their overall corporate revenue/profit, but it's still not a negligible amount at all. It's about 1/8th of NVIDIA's desktop GPU revenue, fwiw.

G80 will soon be superseded by it's refresh, so by the time R600 arrives, it looks like ATI simply did not have a competitive product while Nvidia cleaned up with with the fastest DX9 hardware, the fastest Vista hardware (even with dodgy drivers), and the halo effect that all that implies.

What I'm saying is that as regards DX10 it is apparent that nVidia does not presently own that market space--seems to me that it is presently up for grabs--at least if you use the measure of DX10 driver development and support and the number of DX10-required games currently shipping. I see no lock on that market by any IHV as of yet.

I doubt AMD is thinking that they don't need to bother just because Nvidia's current Vista drivers need improvement. Nvidia's drivers have needed loads of work for a long time, and they just shrug it off like water off a duck's back. There is still all the XP and DX9 market to consider, there is still the fact that G80 is a much faster and more advanced card with more features than anything you can buy from ATI, and that Nvidia has had free reign to both sell and market that product with impunity for nearly half a year already.

Perhaps ATi is thinking it wants a better launch for R600 than nVidia has enjoyed for G80, because ATi is indeed directly targeting DX10 and Vista support for R600 as primary goals for the R600-family product release? G80 certainly didn't stop me from running out and buying a x1950 Pro AGP product--I didn't even consider G80, actually. Heck, although I do a lot of 3d gaming, I haven't even seen the need to move to PCIe as of yet, and have yet to suffer for it to my knowledge...;) I hardly think that I am alone in this regard. Some people salivate like Pavlovian dogs at the sound of the bell when they are exposed to marketing campaigns--some people don't. I'm one of those people motivated more by substance than marketing.

If Nvidia does have marketing issue with G80, they won't care. They'll expertly brush it under the carpet, and sell you the refresh, and all the while there's nothing to provide a credible alternative from AMD. AMD needs to pull it's finger out and sell us good products, instead of just talking about it. It's no use having a better card and drivers if no one can buy them, and it's no use beating the opposition roundly just as the opposition brings out a newer better product that negates yours.

The question is not primarily about what *nVidia* will do ...;) The question, and what it seems to me we've been talking about, is what nVidia's *customers* will do if nVidia's current marketing problems relative to these G80 DX10/Vista support issues aren't addressed to the satisfaction of those customers, both current and potential. I think you are dead wrong about nVidia not caring about how well its marketing correlates to the products it's selling.

I think, if anything, they are very sensitive to it in light of the company's vast experience in graduating from the School of Hard Knocks relative to its lengthy and counter-productive nV3x marketing, loss of the xBox contract, and several other things I could mention. More recently, let's look at nVidia's current practice of writing bug notes with its current driver releases--when I owned my last nVidia product back in 2002--nVidia didn't "care at all" about doing that. Now, they do, and they do it. What about the recent nVidia announcement that it is moving to a monthly driver release schedule in response to the criticism it's been taking about its current G80 Vista/DX10 support? Does this indicate to you that nVidia doesn't care about marketing problems? It indicates the opposite of a "don't care" attitude, imo, and I think proves that nVidia cares about these things very much. I mean, the following imaginary scenario doesn't seem at all likely to me:

JHH: "I think we may have a marketing problem with our "Vista-Ready" G80 marketing."

Head nVidia driver developer: "Who gives a shit?"

JHH: "Yea, you're right--we'll just sweep it under the rug. Screw it--screw 'em all!"

Nope--I don't think this is at all indicative of nVidia's attitude in 2007 relative to how it markets and supports its products. And this is precisely the kind of thing ATi would certainly wish to avoid tagging along with the upcoming R600 product release.

In summary, what I'm talking about here is not whether the G80 is the most advanced DX9 product currently being sold--I think that everybody knows that it is. What I'm talking about is why it may be that ATi has pushed back the release of its R600 product line, if indeed it has actually been pushed out and if indeed ATi's internal plans have actually changed. I think that it is very likely that ATi believes that solid Vista/DX10 support for R600 are likely to be the largest motivators for buying R600 products--at least as large a motivating factor as the R600's raw performance in DX9--if not larger. As such, I think that ATi wants to do a better job with its R600 DX10/Vista support than its largest competitor has done to date, and I would find that attitude on the part of ATi to be completely unsurprising for all of the obvious reasons.

Be honest: you know as well as I do that the people who decided to buy products as expensive and as cutting edge as the "Vista-Ready" G80s, prior to the release of Vista, were certainly, somewhere in the back of their minds, considering that purchase in light of its future suitability not only for Vista but for DX10 support as well...;) I think that this is the sort of PR problem that ATi would do well to avoid, and if it should cost an extra month or so, then it is still exactly what ATi should do relative to the launch of R600.

Your points are rather pointless, however, because NVIDIA already sold 400K units/$50M of G80s. It doesn't matter WHY you think people are buying them - they just are. Assuming a 50/50 split, that'd be $25M of revenue AMD missed on. It's not huge compared to their overall corporate revenue/profit, but it's still not a negligible amount at all. It's about 1/8th of NVIDIA's desktop GPU revenue, fwiw.

Pointless? Hmmmm...OK, I'll put three questions to you for consideration:

(1) Do you think that the number of G80s nVidia has sold to date have completely satisfied nVidia's 2007 sales goals, and that nVidia doesn't care how the rest of the year goes?

(2) Do you think that nVidia, as a result of the number of G80's it sold prior to Vista shipping, is satisfied and isn't concerned with how many G80s it will sell now that Vista is shipping?

(3) Do you think nVidia is so enraptured by the number of G80's it has sold to date that it simply doesn't care what ATi will be selling this year, or how its G80 stacks up in comparison to R600 under Vista/DX10?

Basically, as you can see, what I think is pretty "pointless" is talking about how many G80's nVidia sold prior to Vista shipping, when the nVidia "Vista-Ready" marketing campaign was no doubt believed on its face; and prior to ATi shipping its R600 product family later this year. Yes, nVidia's done a great job promoting and selling its G80's before Vista was launched and in the absence of any competitive pressures in that market segment from ATi--no doubt about it. The question remains, however, as to how things will stack up for the *rest* of the year in regards to G80. That, I think, is very much the whole point...;)

(1) Do you think that the number of G80s nVidia has sold to date have completely satisfied nVidia's 2007 sales goals, and that nVidia doesn't care how the rest of the year goes?
Launch to date is the only way to gauge satisfaction.

(2) Do you think that nVidia, as a result of the number of G80's it sold prior to Vista shipping, is satisfied and isn't concerned with how many G80s it will sell now that Vista is shipping?
That might reflect more on Vista than nV.

(3) Do you think nVidia is so enraptured by the number of G80's it has sold to date that it simply doesn't care what ATi will be selling this year, or how its G80 stacks up in comparison to R600 under Vista/DX10?
Until ATI ships, it is a moot point.

Walt, I don't understand what you are trying to prove? Until AMD ships anything, I believe the G80 gives the best performance in Vista (DX9 or DX10 games). In addition, AMD would never delay the R600 for drivers unless they were just horrid. You assume the world stands still while AMD would be refining them. For all you know G80 Vista drivers will be amazing in April/May, they may not. However, any person with a brain would never assume the competitions product would be bad in the future. You always shoot for the competitor's product kicking butt (worst case for you). You wouldn't delay the product unless it's showing to be defective or worse than the competition. If it's worse than the competition, then you'd only delay if you think mindshare would be hurt worse by that than the unknown.

In addition, your ideas on the G80 refresh are also flawed. G80 is it right now. If Nvidia can refresh right after R600 and beat the R600 with the refresh, then AMD is in bad water. Certain people will always wait for just the next thing. If AMD can only be the best for 3 weeks out of 6 months, then shame on them. It may not affect the R600, but it would affect future products. People start catching on if AMD is one upped quickly after a release, and won't purchase that product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Launch to date is the only way to gauge satisfaction.

So, OK...evidently for you the answer to the first question I posed above is "yes"...? You're saying that the number of G80s sold prior to Vista shipping has completely satisfied nVidia's goals for all of 2007, and that nVidia doesn't care what happens to G80 sales for the rest of the year now that Vista is shipping?

If so, well...pardon me for disagreeing...;) I kind of think that if nVidia was satisfied in this respect then the company probably would not have recently announced the monthly driver release schedule for the express purpose of better supporting the G80 under Vista.

That might reflect more on Vista than nV.

Well, first, if it's more the fault of Vista than it is nVidia, then I find it hard to see how nV's moving to a monthly G80 driver release schedule is going to help Microsoft with Vista.

What does entirely reflect on nVidia alone, I think, is that prior to Vista becoming available, when nVidia was advertising G80 products as "Vista-Ready," the company felt no compunction to add the following itemized disclaimers to its "Vista-Ready" advertising:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_driver_news_022207.html

Perhaps it is your belief that nVidia was unaware of these things until February 22, when it published them? Could be--but then if so, it would seem to completely undermine the "Vista-Ready" claim that nVidia used in marketing the G80 products prior to Vista shipping. It seems to me that if nVidia didn't know these things prior to Vista shipping then it had no grounds upon which to make its "Vista-Ready" claims for G80 products in the first place--as nVidia obviously could not have known anything about Vista in that case.

But since nVidia released Vista drivers for the G80 when Vista shipped, then it's just hard to make the case that nVidia didn't know anything about Vista until after Vista shipped, isn't it?

Until ATI ships, it is a moot point.

So you're saying that R600 is a "moot point" for nVidia until R600 ships, because nVidia isn't certain that R600 will ship?

Ah! I think I see where you're going with this!--you're saying that just as R600 is a moot point for nVidia because it hasn't shipped, so must Vista have been a moot point for nVidia at the time of the G80's "Vista-Ready" marketing campaign because Vista, too, had not yet shipped and so nVidia could not have been certain that Vista would ship, either. Therefore, since nVidia could not have been certain that Vista would actually ship, then advertising its G80 products as "Vista-Ready"--when they weren't--was just one big moot point.

Thanks for clearing that up...;)

Walt, I don't understand what you are trying to prove? Until AMD ships anything, I believe the G80 gives the best performance in Vista (DX9 or DX10 games).

OK, please tell me which DX10-required games you are referring to? I haven't seen any for sale, myself...;) I think I've already stated what I thought about the G80 as a DX9-level product, right?

Aside from that, I'm not "trying to prove" anything. I'm just offering up my opinion as to why ATi might take its time at the moment. As I've already made those points in my posts above, I won't repeat them here.

In addition, AMD would never delay the R600 for drivers unless they were just horrid.

Look, nV of late has had people slap up web pages exploring the idea of class-action suits against nV for being misleading about the state of the G80 in terms of its Vista/DX10 product support in the face of its "Vista-Ready" ad campaigns promoting the G80 product line prior to Vista shipping. Many other people write vociferously of late on the Internet about what *they claim* to be the "horrid" support for G80 in Vista--especially at it revolves around SLI support. When nVidia was promoting the G80 as "Vista-Ready" it neglected to inform anyone, to my knowledge, of these things. nVidia has responded to those complaints, and many more, apparently, by officially announcing a monthly driver release schedule for G80 expressly undertaken for the purpose of rectifying those very concerns. None of this is fiction or exaggeration, insofar as I am aware.

Now, think about it for a moment. Certainly you don't suppose that just as we all have been witnesses to these things, that ATi has somehow failed to notice them? I think it's reasonable to suppose that if there is indeed a genuine delay in R600, and if this is not the wholesale invention of various hardware sites which never had the story right from the start and which were all announcing an R600 February/March product launch schedule on the strength of unverified rumor and are seeking to paper over their own misleading comments by proclaiming "another delay" for R600, then I am only proposing that such a delay might exist for the purpose of avoiding the kind of situation nVidia finds itself in at the moment. It certainly seems reasonable to me.

You assume the world stands still while AMD would be refining them. For all you know G80 Vista drivers will be amazing in April/May, they may not. However, any person with a brain would never assume the competitions product would be bad in the future. You always shoot for the competitor's product kicking butt (worst case for you). You wouldn't delay the product unless it's showing to be defective or worse than the competition. If it's worse than the competition, then you'd only delay if you think mindshare would be hurt worse by that than the unknown.

I agree--That's why I never said anything about what nVidia's products would be like in the future...;) If anything, the fact that nVidia's adopted a monthly driver release schedule for G80 would indicate that in the future the G80's DX10/Vista support will be better than it is today.

In addition, your ideas on the G80 refresh are also flawed. G80 is it right now. If Nvidia can refresh right after R600 and beat the R600 with the refresh, then AMD is in bad water. Certain people will always wait for just the next thing. If AMD can only be the best for 3 weeks out of 6 months, then shame on them. It may not affect the R600, but it would affect future products. People start catching on if AMD is one upped quickly after a release, and won't purchase that product.

I think that what is "flawed" is discussing a G80 "refresh" when one does not exist at this time. Pretty simple, I think. If you'll notice, I've tried very hard to restrict my comments to what nVidia said prior to the Vista lauch and what nVidia has said since Vista launched--in terms of comparing the two. And, it isn't just me--of course. I had nothing to do with that fellow's web site which talked about launching a class-action against nVidia. In fact, I've had nothing to do with nVidia's marketing at all.

Look, I think it is commendable of nVidia to rapidly change its direction in terms of the schedule of official driver releases in response to these criticisms--none of which were made by me. nVidia is responding to its customers for a change, instead of hiding behind the slogan that "End users are not our customers--OEMs are the only customers we have," as an excuse not to comment or act directly on the complaints voiced by the end users of nVidia-based and reference-designed products. For years, though, nVidia's public attitude was that it did not consider the people who bought nVidia-based products from the OEMs who bought from nVidia and resold those products to be "their customers." They were the OEM's customers, not nVidia's. This is a welcome sea-change for the company, imo. I think this is a very good thing, and if anything it makes me less indisposed towards nVidia instead of more. I'm gratified to see nVidia responding like this.

i think its crazy to actually believe amd delayed r600 to improve the drivers.

So, you think ATi should have done just what nVidia did--and gone ahead and shipped its "DX10/Vista-ready" R600's even if they weren't "DX10/Vista-Ready"...? Based on what nVidia's getting at the moment as a result of doing that, I think ATi would be crazy to do it, myself. I mean, since they've seen how popular this move was for nVidia, *why* should they set themselves up for more of the same?

But aside from that--you completely missed the point I made. nVidia shipped a "Vista-Ready" product before Vista shipped. ATi won't ever be in that position. If ATi advertises "Vista-Ready" for R600 when it's not, it will likely hurt them in terms of sales and PR far worse than it hurt nVidia--which shipped G80 before Vista shipped--while ATi will be shipping R600 to an existing Vista customer base.

Last, I never said "drivers" as in general drivers--what I said was DX10/Vista drivers. I mean, nV isn't catching flak because of anything other than its Vista support, is it? I think that in the minds of the ATi marketers, Vista/DX10 support and functionality will be at least as important as the R600's DX9 support, if not more so.

Time will tell. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, either way...;)

Something WaltC said in one of his replies above made me think this thought:

If R600 is geared towards dx10, maybe it is not so geared towards dx9. When I say this I mean in the R600 dx9 performance is better than the r580, but not G80.

Maybe the G80 thrashes R600 at dx9 stuff whereas the R600 thrashes G80 at dx10 stuff?

I mean, when all the reviews come in, they are gonna show mostly dx9 games as dx10 games are not here yet. Is it possible that the delay is related to having some dx10 content available so as to show the R600 power in benchmarks?

Talk about wishful thinking and mega-spin. There is simply no way this delay is because of Vista drivers, and if it were, it would make ATI out to be liars or incompetent given the trash talk "driver Kung Fu" against NVidia about how long ago they started DX10 driver development, and how easy and nice it is to develop Vista drivers. So either they didn't start far enough back, or, Vista driver development is harder than they claimed in their response to Nvidia.

There is no tangible DX10 content, nor will there be, in the near future. ATI would not have scheduled a briefing event and let it go so far and then finally cancel it if this had just been a driver issue. The R300 by comparison was launched to developers/editors without DirectX9 drivers too. They are suffering developer mindshare loss by having G80s in the hands of developers for so long, so that even if and when the R600 ships, NVidia will have gotten far more feedback and rounds of fixed to make the drivers and performance mature compared to the R600, as well as devs will have gotten alot more experienced with the G80's specific quirks vis-a-vis R600 specific quirks.

There is simply no advantage to them holding back the highend R600 for DX10 drivers, nor for mid-range launch. You want to get your cards out early, because there is simply no substitute to having real people outside the company bang on them.

All this talk about fears of class action lawsuits over drivers is nonsense. There is no precedent established (the only case I ever remember having been won was a case against Toshiba notebook floppy drive controllers corrupting disks), and all of the early adopters who buy $600 cards are used to frequent/buggy driver updates. It's a non-issue, and this is the most ludicrous spin I've ever seen.

The most likely explanations for the delay is either:

1) a HW problem, not neccessarily with the core itself, but could be with the board design (remember, the first G80 boards had an issue too)

2) supply problem with some component

3) performance. Perhaps they would have had to launch a part which does not perform as well as the G80. So, they've got to bin to as high clocks as they can, slap on the biggest cooler, put in uber driver tweaks, and find benchmark applications that will show it in the best possible light for launch. I predict this means finding bandwidth/memory limited launch demos/benchmarks. Will Crysis be the app that sets the G80 apart from the R600? Somehow I doubt it.

So, you think ATi should have done just what nVidia did--and gone ahead and shipped its "DX10/Vista-ready" R600's even if they weren't "DX10/Vista-Ready"...? Based on what nVidia's getting at the moment as a result of doing that, I think ATi would be crazy to do it, myself. I mean, since they've seen how popular this move was for nVidia, *why* should they set themselves up for more of the same?

But aside from that--you completely missed the point I made. nVidia shipped a "Vista-Ready" product before Vista shipped. ATi won't ever be in that position. If ATi advertises "Vista-Ready" for R600 when it's not, it will likely hurt them in terms of sales and PR far worse than it hurt nVidia--which shipped G80 before Vista shipped--while ATi will be shipping R600 to an existing Vista customer base.

Last, I never said "drivers" as in general drivers--what I said was DX10/Vista drivers. I mean, nV isn't catching flak because of anything other than its Vista support, is it? I think that in the minds of the ATi marketers, Vista/DX10 support and functionality will be at least as important as the R600's DX9 support, if not more so.

Time will tell. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, either way...;)

yes it would be much better for ati to release the r600 even if drivers were as bad as the nvidia g80 drivers.

Based on what nVidia's getting at the moment as a result of doing that, I think ATi would be crazy to do it, myself.

You think ATi would be crazy to be the undisputed market leader for six months and derive all the mindshare and revenue that come along with that status? Because that's exactly what Nvidia's "getting at the moment". I can guarantee that the 8800GTX would not have been enjoying its envious $550+ street price for so long had there been competition out there.

I must say that some of your points are pretty inane - what are you really trying to demonstrate when you ask if Nvidia is happy with G80 sales? How is that relevant in any way to the R600 situation? You can't sell something that people can't buy so delaying its introduction to the market can only impact sales negatively.

i think its crazy to actually believe amd delayed r600 to improve the drivers.

Maybe not. Remember that wonderful little tidbit a while back about the R600 being faster than everyone even thought it would be using just a software tweak?

What if? ....just what if AMD was all ready to show off the R600 at that showing (the one they now cancelled) and it was going to be about 10%~15% faster than the 8800GTX. AMD obviously knowing that the 8900GTX refresh would MAYBE catch it and/or surpass it but decided to go ahead anyway with the launch because they know they needed to answer with something and had delayed so long already.

But what if that "software tweak" turned out to be good rather than bad? What if they said, "Hey we can increase the R600 by 30%~40% over the 8800GTX if we just adjusted or tweaked in this area a bit more? Because if AMD had come out with the card at 10-15% improvement it would be very hard to get any secondary news out later that it got bigger 30-40% improvements with the drivers. This would cover any 8900GTX NV would launch.

People tend to look at the initial benchmarks and then make their decision. So AMD didn't want anyone to make their decision until they could take full advantage and get the absolute maximum performance out of their card as they knew they could.

Just a possible theory. ;-)

Aside from that, I'm not "trying to prove" anything. I'm just offering up my opinion as to why ATi might take its time at the moment. As I've already made those points in my posts above, I won't repeat them here.
And your point is nonsensical:
WaltC said:
Of course, there's another side of the coin to consider, and that is that given the state of nVidia's Vista G80 drivers thus far, and the tantalizing hints about their likely progress in the near term as revealed by the DX10 demo nVidia's just released, coupled with nVidia's recent remarks about some limitations relative to its current DX10 driver foundation ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_d...ws_022207.html ), it could well be that ATi has decided it doesn't need to rush things in particular with the R600 family launch. It seems reasonable to me that ATi is probably as knowledgeable about these things as the rest of us are, and feels that it simply has more time to generate a more effective, inclusive R600 product launch than perhaps the company formerly believed at an earlier point. That's an alternative point of view which I think has merit.
According to your "theory," R600 is delayed because AMD feels that NV doesn't have a meaningful lead, despite making $50M from G80 already. So, instead of releasing the high-end (which would compete directly with G80 and take a big slice of the pie), they delay it until they can release products which have no meaningful competition from NV at the moment (losing everyone who upgrades in the interim of the delay in the process). In what universe does this make sense?

There is no logical reason to take your time if things are right. (No! Don't quote that! You can't argue it! There is nothing to argue! You're quoting this and writing a ten page post right now about how it makes perfect sense to delay something that works! Do not do it!) There are plenty of logical reasons to take your time if things are wrong. Now, if you would be so kind as to work under the assumption that all of AMD's management aren't a bunch of idiots, I think what has actually happened is obvious.

People tend to look at the initial benchmarks and then make their decision. So AMD didn't want anyone to make their decision until they could take full advantage and get the absolute maximum performance out of their card as they knew they could.
If they thought this way, R520 would have been delayed more (as I remember some pretty significant performance increases from drivers there). And that was released in a similar situation (G71 on the horizon).

What if? ....just what if AMD was all ready to show off the R600 at that showing (the one they now cancelled) and it was going to be about 10%~15% faster than the 8800GTX. AMD obviously knowing that the 8900GTX refresh would MAYBE catch it and/or surpass it but decided to go ahead anyway with the launch because they know they needed to answer with something and had delayed so long already.

Yeah but in this scenario the faster R600 still goes up against 8900GTX since the driver tweak comes out before Nvidia plays its next hand so, nope :)

Did you not read everything I wrote?

I said AMD want the 30-40% improvement to beat just that, the 8900GTX.
Doesn't work, because NV can still delay the G80 refresh slightly to increase clocks with a larger cooler or something.

The only way that NV is screwed that I can think of is if R600 wins because of bandwidth alone. But, honestly, I don't see that happening except at high-res/high MSAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back