The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATI actually scheduled an Editors' Day and then cancelled flight and hotel bookings that had already been made. That suggests two things:

1) They found out something bad.

2) Whatever it was they found out took them completely by surprise.

Whatever it was, just a couple of days ago they still believed they were going to launch on time; then something happened that forced them suddenly to change their minds. This leads me to believe that it is not simply a question of yields and bins - unless it's a really bad problem with yields and bins :) - because a problem like that is something they would have seen coming a week or two earlier. I think it has to be something more significant than that: an actual bug in the hardware that needs a respin, a major problem with the card or cooler design, or (less likely) a really intractable problem with the drivers that causes crashes and will take several weeks to fix.

I simply don't buy the "strategic" line; I think that's desperate backside-covering by the PR team. It's perfectly possible that AMD might decide to hold back the launch to coincide with middle- and low-range parts, or even to coincide with the launch of the K10 CPU; but that's not something they would suddenly change their minds about at the last minute!

This cancellation also suggests that we are not talking about a two-week delay. They wouldn't have cancelled everybody's flights over that - they would have held the meeting as planned and announced a slightly later launch. I think this points to a delay of at least a month. :(

Who made the call on the day for this abortive Editors' Day?
Is it the same group of people who canceled it?

More directly, was it the ATI-AMD folks who made the initial call and the AMD-AMD folks who cancelled, or is the graphics group still relatively independent?

In isolation this delay isn't all that big a deal. But when you factor in the R520 delay and the weakness of the X1600 at launch, the fact that ATI has essentially handed NVIDIA the advantage in mobile discreet graphics and of course the fact that the last thing ATI needs to do is screw up major product launches when its trying to streamline itself with AMD...well, taking a pretty cool headed view you still get a fairly worrying overall story.

Incidentally:

Desktop quad-core isn't due for another year after. So the only way enthusiasts are going to get their hands on quad-core AMD is by buying some variant of Barcelona, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I don't want this to happen. I just want to know the techie stuff.

Jawed

AMD desktop quad-core is late '07, not mid '08.

I have to agree with nicolasb's post. I am just so disappointed. I expect R600 in the May/June timeframe as well. My prediction is there will be a refresh from Nvidia right after that comes out that will negate the x2900. Nvidia has been very aggressive and that wont surprise me at all. The nvidia card will prob have a gig of gddr4 for starters.

Edit:
Oh and another thing. Whatever advantage AMD/ATI might be claiming with their K10 and R600 simultaneous launch prob got its thunder stolen because of the Intel 45 nm Penryn announcement that they are launching it end of Q3 I believe. a Quad core 3 ghz 1600 mhz PSB is going to be their flagship.

ATI actually scheduled an Editors' Day and then cancelled flight and hotel bookings that had already been made. That suggests two things:

1) They found out something bad.

2) Whatever it was they found out took them completely by surprise.

Whatever it was, just a couple of days ago they still believed they were going to launch on time; then something happened that forced them suddenly to change their minds. This leads me to believe that it is not simply a question of yields and bins - unless it's a really bad problem with yields and bins :) - because a problem like that is something they would have seen coming a week or two earlier. I think it has to be something more significant than that: an actual bug in the hardware that needs a respin, a major problem with the card or cooler design, or (less likely) a really intractable problem with the drivers that causes crashes and will take several weeks to fix.

I simply don't buy the "strategic" line; I think that's desperate backside-covering by the PR team. It's perfectly possible that AMD might decide to hold back the launch to coincide with middle- and low-range parts, or even to coincide with the launch of the K10 CPU; but that's not something they would suddenly change their minds about at the last minute!

This cancellation also suggests that we are not talking about a two-week delay. They wouldn't have cancelled everybody's flights over that - they would have held the meeting as planned and announced a slightly later launch. I think this points to a delay of at least a month. :(

My guess is that they found out that 8300/8600 are superior to their 2300/2600 offerings and decided to cover this fact by launching 2900/2600/2300 together, so that most headlines would point to the fact that 2900 beats 8800 and kind of skipping the other results in the headlines and in the minds of most customers.

My guess is that they found out that 8300/8600 are superior to their 2300/2600 offerings and decided to cover this fact by launching 2900/2600/2300 together, so that most headlines would point to the fact that 2900 beats 8800 and kind of skipping the other results in the headlines and in the minds of most customers.

That doesn't make sense either.
It would steal the limelight from the hypothetical R600 performance advantage, compared to the G80.
Meaning, the reviews would be dispersed by too many different products, and the initial marketing impact of R600 would be smaller.

Nvidia was able to do that for G71/G72/G73 because the first one of these was a refresh of the top end without any new performance/IQ features other than clockspeed, not a completely new product like the mainstream and low end variants.
This time, R600 is not out yet, so it needs "some time alone" in the market, until the public perception of the brand new technology gains some "roots".
Of course, i'm no marketing expert... ;)

NVIDIA Skips G81, Goes Straight For G90

We told you earlier about NVIDIA skipping G81 or GeForce 8900 to go straight for something more powerful. It seems like INQ has insider scoop that NVIDIA mulling the successor to G80 but still would like to produce GX2 if they managed to solve the thermal and power issues. After that it will be time for G9x flavour, codenamed G90. NVIDIA is planning to produce 65nm G9x chips based on G80 architecture with much higher frequencies and powered with GDDR4. If NVIDIA makes G80 smaller there may also be just enough space for 512Mbit controller. If all goes as planned, the chip is scheduled for second part of 2007.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4690

:mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

Why do i get the feeling the Inquirer is printing everything they read here, even if it's nothing more than wild guesses ? :rolleyes:

Even the 512bit (note the 512Mbit bus, they wish... :D) thing seems ridiculous.
When you have a large chip, it's easier to have a wide memory bus, not more difficult.

Maybe AMD is just too embarassed to have to tell reviewers that they have to use intel CPU's for their reviews....

Why do i get the feeling the Inquirer is printing everything they read here, even if it's nothing more than wild guesses ? :rolleyes:

Even the 512bit (note the 512Mbit bus, they wish... :D) thing seems ridiculous.
When you have a large chip, it's easier to have a wide memory bus, not more difficult.

The funny thing is,vrzone using inq as source.

Next time on inqurier (season6-episode91) "AMD skip 80nm process with R600 and go for 65nm process", "AMD skip R600 and go straight for R700" "AMD skip the 2007 year and go straight for 2009":LOL:

Given that it's now public that nVidia plans to release a graphics card with double precision floating point support by the end of this year, it is only natural to expect that this will be a G90 processor that will be made available by the end of this year.

Well, the problem with that for AMD/ATI is that there is no reason to expect that nVidia won't be able to pull another 20%-30% performance out of the G8x drivers.

My personal guess is that over the next 1-2 months nVidia is going to be working hard on Vista compatibility and performance, and should bring that up to par in that time, giving them another couple of months, apparently, to get further performance tweaks to spoil ATI/AMD's launch.

That doesn't say much for their current drivers if they do. NV30 took about 8 months for them to get their shader compiler going while ATI had theirs right out of the gate almost.

HKEPC joined for the r600 rumor squad

"According to Taiwan's consumer mapping industry revealed AMD将 mapping industry in the end of February to provide samples of the latest version of R600 mapping results, CeBIT in Germany and the General Assembly on public display, but this is not an official release date R600. Therefore, the General Assembly and test results would not be made public R600, AMD tentatively scheduled for March 30 will be formally announced."

"In addition, the R600 will be times when the two lower models, including R600XT and R600XL. R600XT code Catseye (102-B006) will be set up XTX version of the same PCB Subtotal, core connections will decline 10-15% over the XTX version, the memory will be reduced to 512MB. and the switch to a lower speed GDDR3 particles cards for the same 9.5-inch long, the maximum power the same as pumped. expected to be released on April 19."

"According to mapping industry, R600 doubt on the effectiveness of the GeForce 8800 family can be overwhelming. However, the cost and price and more than able to compete with rivals into doubt R600 because of the cost of memory is more expensive than rivals."

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hkepc.com%2Fbbs%2Fnews.php%3Ftid%3D746258%26starttime%3D0%26endtime%3D0&langpair=zh%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

This "news" dates 2007-02-22, so HKPEC news writers sleep well yesterday, or someone made a bad joke about the whole delay story.
The infos in the link sounds like "Fuad inq infos" ;)

That doesn't say much for their current drivers if they do. NV30 took about 8 months for them to get their shader compiler going while ATI had theirs right out of the gate almost.
They also admitted at the release of the NV40 that they really borked the shader instruction set, making it exceedingly hard to develop a good compiler. Note that NV40 had its shader compiler up and running well right out of the gate, too.

Considering the general architectural layout I suspect that it could had ended up with 6 quads instead of 4 in the end. All fine and dandy but I wouldn't want to imagine the transistor count of such a beast, nor its power consumption.

Considering the fact how R600 then will turn out! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back