The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Speaking of RDR2. Here's a snow comparison to illustrate how much Tlou's snow improves upon it.
7XoRFar.jpg

RDR2
Grave-Sites-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-2018-11-04-21-33-47.mp4_001057617.jpg

Far better lighting and shading in Tlou2, especially the shadowing in the trees and surrounding objects. I guess it's the nature of being a more linear game where you can afford to crank up the details to the maximum and dedicate more compute resource to each scene without having to worry about other things.

This is more the fact than this is a game without dynamic weather...

The animation transition are great

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not saying it's a straight up PS5 game or something lol. Of course I expect a true next gen game designed with 10 TF, 16Gig ram spec to look world apart as it should be, but even if it's within the realm of what other games can achieve on current gen, Tlous still pushes the boat further with that much more foliage, world density, the crazy animation and the overall balance of the graphics output. I mean it's so hard to spot any short comings.

To be honest, it's the character models that impress, everything else does not. It looks great but not mind blowing or better then RDR2 or other high end AAA games like HZD.

What's more impressive to you just curious?
One more.
48797462788_1e29470230_o.jpg

page-5

Not that far off from days gone.

Something I try to keep an eye on is the idea that the blurrier the game, the better looking people think it is. As long as you get the lighting right, and make everything else a blurry mess, people are more likely to feel its realistic as games are super unrealistic in their sharpness. If a game wants to get more realistic, they really need to dial back the sharpness of things not in focus. imo it's why people love watching these gifs of PS exclusives. The gifs remove all the detail and you're left with just the major lighting and shadows.

That's why it looks better in motion, cinematic experience and all that, hides the details. Screenshots don't do this all that good.

- Graphically it looks as good as RDR2

What i thought, which is a good thing, means that even multi-platform titles look at their best among other titles designed exclusively to a single system.

I hope ghost of tsushima impresses me more, i really love the setting of that game.

So, why no MP for this one?

Well in fact it was confirmed there will be no mp
At launch... Like RDR2 i guess.
But they said at the event that they are recruiting and to check their job listing.
Maybe it will come later.
I already own tlou remaster and i don't know if the MP is still active but i night jump on it later.
Maybe the fact that it s gonna be ps+ title will bring more players

indeed, this game sure looks fine

The level of polish is not comparable to the best AAA games though. Last time i checked, Days Gone was full of bugs...

A game like Spiderman is what i call a true AAA : ambitious, few bugs, good performances and good graphics. It has the whole package.

Another example is the Forza Horizon serie. This is the level of polish i expect from really good developers.

However, we have to keep in mind that not all developers have access to the same ressources : money, time, worforce, etc.

To be honest, it's the character models that impress, everything else does not. It looks great but not mind blowing or better then RDR2 or other high end AAA games like HZD.

Not that far off from days gone.

That's why it looks better in motion, cinematic experience and all that, hides the details. Screenshots don't do this all that good.

What i thought, which is a good thing, means that even multi-platform titles look at their best among other titles designed exclusively to a single system.

I hope ghost of tsushima impresses me more, i really love the setting of that game.
RDR2's overall technical achievement is no doubt immense especially on the X and it does look very impressive for an open world game but what Tlou does here is concentrating all their resources on the places you can explore instead of every inch of the map, so in the end you get to have more and better shaders devoted to the scene, more geometry, more ram usage on baking those nice AOs, more handcrafed environment and complicated animation and it shows. On the surface sure they both share similar appearance as per the snow level but once you actually go down to the scrutiny you can still see the difference. Also that grass field courtyard section has better foliage, AO, reflection and density then any similar level in RDR2.
https://s3.gifyu.com/images/dog-new2713eca7178e957a.gif
I would love to delve more into it and do more comparison but got a feeling we might need a separate thread for it.

What I like about the footage is that the game looks responsive, very much unlike RDR2. i.e. they didn't sacrifice responsiveness for animation quality.

Looks like the flashlight GI is back, a lot less noisy than U4, they seem to be doing a better job at filtering the result.

giuukk5.png

Also, I'm not really sure what's going on here with the reflections:

reflections9ikrb.png

^ There's not enough information for this to be SSR and it doesn't look like a static cubemap, maybe a mix of things, the shelves look dithered and wrong :p

Last edited:
Interview with lead animator Almuneda Sotis.

As a reminder :

"Uncharted 4 had 1,200 story sequences, 34,000 animations, and 14.5 hours of animation time"

"Red Dead Redemption 2 had 300,000 animations and 500,000 lines of dialogue."

Will Joelle have chest hair animation lol.

Last edited:
There's not enough information for this to be SSR and it doesn't look like a static cubemap, maybe a mix of things, the shelves look dithered and wrong :p

I don't see any notable reflections on that scene at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I had read the scene incorectly before. There is a bigass puddle in there which I though was a broken desk.

The reflections are indeed weird. Some very peculiar artifacts.

EDIT 2: Seems like just regular SSR. It's just a lucky scene in that the disocluded parts leave holes in the reflection in a close enough shape to that which you'd expect of proper reflections. Excet only for the two thin shelves, which some rays skip through, which is something to be expected of real time ray-marching, which sacrifices some precision for performance.

I don't see how any cubemap could have any useful data in an environment that is mostly completely devoid of light, and relies entirely on dynamic lightsources. What lighting would you bake in for it?

Last edited:
The footage looks nice. The animation stands out. I think we're definitely at a point where the artistry in games is rising above the limitations of the hardware, but the hardware is showing its age.

But i think it's too soon to make a definitive judgment. We need to wait for the release of the game.

My guess is that TLOU2 should look at least slightly better because the scale is smaller and it's an exclusive game.

I don't know about the plurality there. RDR2 is amongst the best looking games this generation, sharing that title with exclusives like God of War and Gears of War. I can't think of another multiplatform game that really competes.

I don't know about the plurality there. RDR2 is amongst the best looking games this generation, sharing that title with exclusives like God of War and Gears of War. I can't think of another multiplatform game that really competes.

Well, not on PS4 Pro where it's a blurry mess (but yeah, it's very good without this upscale disaster)

Like in team sports, you stay the best only if you recruit the best. I don't know how ND hires their staff, but if they consider other factors than pure skill, it could have a negative impact.

Back