The ever-evolving PSP

DUALDISASTER

Newcomer
I know this has been adressed a lot but maybe not in this way. My Question is how far through PSP's lifetime can games be pushed graphically. Keep in mind the updates and the possiblity of uncapping the processor. Now i mentioned the updates because i heard somewhere that Sony has reduced the OS reserve through each update.

I don't believe the clockspeeds will ever be "uncapped". The reasons a company might lower CPU, FSB, and GPU clocks wouldn't just go away with software updates.

Rumor has it 333mhz has been unlocked since 3.0 firmware.

Though I'm not sure on how much the learning curve is to the hardware. There was a recent podcast by the makers of the Ratchet&Clank:Size Matters psp game coming out this week saying even though they think they have pushed the hardware so hard (even harder than some ps2 games), they think theres still much more potential to get out of it.

I think its the recent EGM Live @ 1up.com podcast if you want to check it out.

Rumor has it 333mhz has been unlocked since 3.0 firmware.

Though I'm not sure on how much the learning curve is to the hardware. There was a recent podcast by the makers of the Ratchet&Clank:Size Matters psp game coming out this week saying even though they think they have pushed the hardware so hard (even harder than some ps2 games), they think theres still much more potential to get out of it.

I think its the recent EGM Live @ 1up.com podcast if you want to check it out.

my battery runs the same... so if it is unlocked already, my older games are not using it (and that cant be... because with homebrew if you put 333mhz all games speed up the frame rate alot)

Yes, only in PS1 titles the chips run at full speed. Still every native game is locked at 222 MHz, but looking at MGS:pO this is not really bad.

Emulation is always extremely costy, even at 333 MHz there are slowdowns in PS1 games. To be honest, i really doubtet it was pure emulation and was pretty sure the download titles contained recompiled binaries. This has been proven wrong by the hacked OE-firmwares, and that fact keeps on amazing me. Compare that to the first public betas of homebrew PS1 emulators running at <=5 fps without sound...

I know this has been adressed a lot but maybe not in this way. My Question is how far through PSP's lifetime can games be pushed graphically. Keep in mind the updates and the possiblity of uncapping the processor. Now i mentioned the updates because i heard somewhere that Sony has reduced the OS reserve through each update.

There are no uncap possibilities because there's nothing to uncap. From what we know new games maybe already use 333mhz frequency in a dynamic way increasing or decreasing it. It don't have to be unlocked from xmb but from software call.

There are no uncap possibilities because there's nothing to uncap. From what we know new games maybe already use 333mhz frequency in a dynamic way increasing or decreasing it. It don't have to be unlocked from xmb but from software call.

Who is we ?

Then the general people here aren't well informed ,

ask faf and he will tell you the cap still stands for games.

Bleemcast had no trouble handling it and with enhancements: 4x the resolution rendered and output, better texture filtering, etc.

... but still running the native PlayStation code straight from the original discs.

Custom patches were specific fixes for high compatibility, not ports of the game code for better performance. The DC obviously had performance to spare.

Back