The DaVinci Code

So the books real?

Is that the same book that has those facts about how the Illuminati are helping Bush Jnr?

Yea foucaults pendulum is in a class by its own for sure. Youd think theyd have made the film for that with the huge success of the Name of the Rose.

Nite_Hawk said:
The Baron said:
I thought it was ridiculously hokey, with characters straight out of (Insert Generic Bestseller Of The Week Here), and with absolutely no redeeming qualities. It was obvious to the point of being humorous...

I actually felt the same way about it. I thought the beginning of the book was done very well, it built tension, got you interested in reading it. Once the characters started being exposed though, it went down hill. There was no depth to anyone. The entire plot seemed rather far fetched.

As a mystery novel I maybe give it like a 7 as it did keep a good pace going and kept you interested in reading (though I *hated* how the protagonist knew what was going on, but the author was left in the dark to keep you reading it. It's a cheap trick and was over done). As for actually being a good book though, I give it about a 3. Read some Neal Stephenson if you want something actually well written.

Nite_Hawk

Me three. I loved the beginning but it started to get more and more hokey and obvious. I am a total conspiracy theory/knights templar/holy chalice/illuminati etc. lover so this really had me going until it started to suck. I liked The Eight and Foucault's Pendulum better.

The story was a work of fiction. Many of the plot devices are based on facts. Rosicrucians, Knights Templar, etc. To think that 40% of the worlds wealth was driven out of France by Philip the 'Fair', and simply vanished is lunacy. It becomes more inane an idea when you count in the fact that the men driven out invented the system of banking that we still haven't escaped from.

My brother is reading it, so I'll borrow when he's done. But...I'm always skeptical when a book is TOO successful. It's usually a clear sign of mediocricy (ex.: Michael Crichton, John Grisham, etc....).

Ty said:
....when the author spoke about a certain painting where Da Vinci had some character pointing mysteriously at someone else in the painting as if there was some sort of hidden meaning...

That would be true for Giorgione, who is considered to be the most mysterious painter of that age: in the so-called "The three religions (or philosophers)" there are three characters, in the right side of the painting, two looking at the other side, but we do not know at what since that side of the painting was cut out (as recent studies have found out) and got lost probably soon after the painting itself was completed.
The masterpiece of his is considered to be the so-called "The Tempest", whose correct interpretation has riddled the critics since Giorgione finished it.

Reading through this. I think, if you read it for what it is, a fictional thriller, it's one amazing book. Very fast paced, extremely gripping.
Some of the things Dan Brown comes up with are cringeworthy, but it's interesting how someone can connect dots that don't have anything to do with each other and make it look like it all makes sense. I mean that's talent :LOL:

Will be finished by this weekend i think. One of my fastest reads ever, total page turner.

Finished it a while ago.
It was entertaining, as it is really really "light" reading.
Not taxing your brain in plot or character level, nor manages to raise any emotions either. Very predictable plot.

Definetly not a good book, but entertaining and easy to read :)
I kinda like all conspiratory theories, riddles and hidden meanings, but here they were a bit dumb and felt "forced".

Not at all worth all the hype. Reading it was like reading some movie scrpit as D Brown only manages to "describe" things as they happen... he rarely if ever dvelves deeper into emotions or setting up the mood and athmosphere-

Back