System Shock 2 free on gog

Thanks, finally have a GOG account. Whoops, how long has that taken...
Now GOG has Steam link (GOG Connect) thanks to which my library on it is quite decent! Lightweight, fast and without DRM - simply brilliant!

Regarding SS2 I bought it yesterday and as I never played it, I want to properly play and finish it after completing W3 Blood & Wine.

I wish someone could do a re-master, not a reboot of System Shock 2. I'd love it if there was a version that was 100% exactly like System Shock (including any gameplay quirks) but with a modern AAA engine and art assets. Never going to happen, sigh.

Regards,
SB

I'm most curious about the 3rd game that is in the works.

Last edited:
I wish someone could do a re-master, not a reboot of System Shock 2. I'd love it if there was a version that was 100% exactly like System Shock (including any gameplay quirks) but with a modern AAA engine and art assets. Never going to happen, sigh.

Replaying SS2 as we speak. I think a fully modded SS2 works pretty well, mostly because the original (and mode enhanced) textures were pretty clean to begin with. It would be great if we could get an enhanced edition, but it still works well enough to play imo.

I first played through SS2 back in 2006, intentionally before Bioshock came out. I used some nice texture and model packs back then as well that were mostly about increasing texture resolution and polygon count while looking just like the original art. It was especially nice for decals and monitor animations.

It's a great game but it has its share of major flaws. I specifically recall how the level design gets worse later in the game. The enemy respawn and weapon degradation are pretty ridiculous IMO as well, though tweakable of course. I enjoyed it mostly for the exploration of the ships and the amazing sci-fi/horror atmosphere they created.

Last edited:
Back