Sweet Jebus (2000W PSU)

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Ultra Products, a global leader in technology solutions, today announces that it will unveil the world’s first 2000W ATX Power Supply Unit for the PC at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The Ultra X3 Modular 2000W PSU has a footprint similar to some competitors’ 1000W units (just 10.25 inches) and is 80% efficient under typical loads.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjMzMzQsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

I wonder if it will have dual power plugs to the wall? I thought I've heard that most wall sockets only go to 1500W.

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjMzMzQsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

I wonder if it will have dual power plugs to the wall? I thought I've heard that most wall sockets only go to 1500W.
They are crazy.
Give me 90, 92% efficiency, then we can talk about 1000W supplies. This is just insane. 200W of dissipated heat doesn't even work in a PC case. Whoever buys this and actually uses it has a high chance of getting screwed.

:oops: :runaway:

You could make your own GhostBuster proton accelerator with this!

Sigh, this is really horrendous.

Here is a short examination (keep in mind that I am talking about maximum values):

1. If 1KW PSU costs ~$500 then 2KW one will cost $1,000.
2. With current 80% AC->DC efficiency you will actually draw 2.5KW from the wall outlet at maximum load. That translates to 11.36A flowing through the cable if mains is at 220V like here in Europe. If run over one wire and considering 2.75A per mm² you will need at least 4mm² leads. They may as well switch to three-phase outlets then, like the ones we have for stoves and heaters.
3. Just think of the power bill. :oops:
4. Last but not least, the heat... is ON! 2.5KW - 2.0KW = 500W of heat output at maximum load. Pair that with two R600 chips in CrossFire (they are said to have 230W TDP) and one Quad Core at 130W TDP and you have 1KW heater in your room. Warrants use of aircon to cancel the effect of "local warming" thus increasing the power bill even more.

We consumers have to draw a line somewhere and to send such an attempts where they belong -- to bankruptcy.

wow, sick...

Sigh, this is really horrendous.

Here is a short examination (keep in mind that I am talking about maximum values):

1. If 1KW PSU costs ~$500 then 2KW one will cost $1,000.
2. With current 80% AC->DC efficiency you will actually draw 2.5KW from the wall outlet at maximum load. That translates to 11.36A flowing through the cable if mains is at 220V like here in Europe. If run over one wire and considering 2.75A per mm˛ you will need at least 4mm˛ leads. They may as well switch to three-phase outlets then, like the ones we have for stoves and heaters.
3. Just think of the power bill. :oops:
4. Last but not least, the heat... is ON! 2.5KW - 2.0KW = 500W of heat output at maximum load. Pair that with two R600 chips in CrossFire (they are said to have 230W TDP) and one Quad Core at 130W TDP and you have 1KW heater in your room. Warrants use of aircon to cancel the effect of "local warming" thus increasing the power bill even more.

We consumers have to draw a line somewhere and to send such an attempts where they belong -- to bankruptcy.

I doubt it would ever do it's advertised maximum. Ultra is a horrible brand for PSUs. Anyone on the market for crazy amounts of power like that would never buy an Ultra anyways.

4. Last but not least, the heat... is ON! 2.5KW - 2.0KW = 500W of heat output at maximum load.
Well um I could be mistaken (I often am) but if you draw 2.5kW from the wall (maximumn load you said) the heat load would logically be 2.5kW and not 500W. Or where would the rest go?

Peace.

Only some of the power draw is expressed as heat, but afaik the PSU's rated wattage is pre-dissipation calculation (so a 500W PSU at about 70% efficiency only provides about 300W of power)

so in other words, you have power going into your PSU, which then goes into your components, but also into the air as heat

and yeah, Ultra is like bleh for PSU quality, you'd be better off just linking a pair of PCP&C, Enermax, etc 1kW units

Before people start panicking about what such a PSU could do to a wall socket, bare in mind the type of cable that one connects an electric kettle to a socket with that for a PSU - not so different...

Only some of the power draw is expressed as heat <...>
For the PSU in isolation, yes. For the system, no.
The energy going into the PC will have to leave it as heat too. The only things you can substract while keeping a straight face are airflow, noise, LED light and electro smog, but those are miniscule amounts of power.
Everything else is either the direct route electricity => heat or takes the detour across kinetic energy to friction.
obobski said:
<...> but afaik the PSU's rated wattage is pre-dissipation calculation (so a 500W PSU at about 70% efficiency only provides about 300W of power)
That really shouldn't™ be the case. I have no problem believing it is what's going on with some of the more worthless brands though.

Ultra isn't one of the more renowned brands of PSUs, they're a Systemax subsidiary if that says anything

and believing that the W figures are stated pre-efficiency calc is fairly plausible with most PSU's, considering what a typical 500W unit (OCZ, Hiper, Antec, whomever you like) would rarely be used in a system with an estimate power draw of ~500W (say, a pair of 6800 Ultra's, 4 512MB (yes, because we love using more power) sticks of RAM, at least 2 HD's, a Pentium EE 965, audio card, optical drives, fans, etc,) yet the PSU is rated to said 500W, thats assuming maximum efficiency and a perfect environment (clean power, excellent temperatures, a constant load (so your either always gaming or never gaming (its a plus, again not real world)) etc

I'm not worried about my power sockets here, the normal kettle leads have built in 13A fuses, so at 240V you will need to push 3.1kW before even the fuse will pop.

Now why you would need 2kW to run a PC is beyond me...

I think if you would measure the power draw on the 12v outputs when hooking up quad 8800s, you would see that it drops to less than 10v (because of the very asymmetric load) and that a good 800W PSU would do better. Which is probably cheaper.

And as everyone else said: do you REALLY want to melt your computer?

Only some of the power draw is expressed as heat, but afaik the PSU's rated wattage is pre-dissipation calculation (so a 500W PSU at about 70% efficiency only provides about 300W of power)

It is the other way around. Following your example of 500W PSU -- it is 500W DC power, not AC.
So 500W PSU would supply 500W but with 70% efficiency in power conversion it would draw 715W from a wall socket and the difference from 715W to 500W would get dissipated in the form of heat.

AMD 4x4, dual R600, Raptors, 680i...hmm they may have a point:))(j/k, in case anyone misses it)

I think everyone should watch An Inconvenient Truth. I feel sick at the thought of 2000W PSUs in computers that would probably be left on overnight.

Back