Suspense/Thriller novels recommendations?

After getting bored reading Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders" and being loaded with work, I didn't have much time for reading. I recently picked it up again after buying and finishing Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" (decent novel, although I have my reservations about a fictional suspense/thriller novel based on facts that come via footnotes and pages after pages of references at the end; but Crichton being who he is/has been, I couldn't help but kept turning the page!) and just last weekend bought 3 books -- Kathy Reichs' "Cross Bones" (haven't started reading) and 2 Dan Browns (finished "Angels & Demons" -- movie to come, I read -- and "Deception Point", which I started 2 days ago and am a thrid of the way through). I finished D.Brown's DVC quite a while ago, liked it a lot and that's why I bought those aforementioned 2 of his.

I am thinking of getting D.Brown's "Digital Fortress" (have you surmised I already like the way he tells a story?) but would welcome any recommendations that fall into the suspense/thriller category, although I have read horror stuff by S.King (last being "Black House"... anyone care to comment about his latest, "Cell"?).

Thanks.

Ghost of D3D said:
After getting bored reading Tom Clancy's "Executive Orders" and being loaded with work, I didn't have much time for reading. I recently picked it up again after buying and finishing Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" (decent novel, although I have my reservations about a fictional suspense/thriller novel based on facts that come via footnotes and pages after pages of references at the end; but Crichton being who he is/has been, I couldn't help but kept turning the page!) and just last weekend bought 3 books -- Kathy Reichs' "Cross Bones" (haven't started reading) and 2 Dan Browns (finished "Angels & Demons" -- movie to come, I read -- and "Deception Point", which I started 2 days ago and am a thrid of the way through). I finished D.Brown's DVC quite a while ago, liked it a lot and that's why I bought those aforementioned 2 of his.

I am thinking of getting D.Brown's "Digital Fortress" (have you surmised I already like the way he tells a story?) but would welcome any recommendations that fall into the suspense/thriller category, although I have read horror stuff by S.King (last being "Black House"... anyone care to comment about his latest, "Cell"?).

Thanks.

I found Digital Fortress to be the weakest of Brown's efforts. Compared to the other 3 books it just feels very diminutive... You'll understand why if you read it...

I read a few of Stephen King's books and they are all quite creepy, but stopped bothering after he turned into the McDonalds of writing.

You might like Michael Cordy. Pretty good as "blockbuster" novels go.

Miracle Strain/Lucifer maybe.

Some Dean Koontz novels might suit your fancy. Though I haven't read anything from him recently. The last book was "Keys to Midnight", it was an old one but something I decided to read on a trip. It was pretty good though slow at times. I have some novels lined up from him for this summer, I just have to get some damn marking done!

Richard Bachman's (Stephan King) "The Regulators" is very good. It has a horror tilt to it but a nice read (suspensful at teh end, very over the top plot), Silent Hill fans will probably recognize some elements! ;)

Haven't really read anything new as I like to read old novels that I can pick up for 3 dollars.

Slightly different genre, but Micheal Connely's stuff is great psycho/murder/mystery stuff.

MuFu said:
You might like Michael Cordy. Pretty good as "blockbuster" novels go.

Miracle Strain/Lucifer maybe.
Did some searches and visited the local bookstore during the weekend.

"The Miracle Strain" has been re-titled as "The Messiah Code" while "Lucifer" has been re-tled as "The Lucifer Code". Not sure why but I bought the former after reading the first chapter in the bookstore.

I was also extremely tempted to buy Raymond Khoury's "The Last Templar" (since I was swimming in the religious fiction vein at the time; this is almost inescapable in almost all bookstores I visit nowadays because D.Brown's TDVC is being promoted everywhere, what with the film approaching) but having just finished "Deception Point" (which had new incredible inventions that Brown didn't bother to explain even a little bit, like a robot that can traverse down the Mariana Trench, or the pure hydrogen jet engine; all quite convenient explanations but lacking backgrounds, quite unlike DVC, which means that while Brown is good at "keeping the pages turning", chapter after chapter, "Deception Point" just falls quite short of TDVC and his "Angels and Demons", the latter of which I can only describe as "the inspiration for TDVC, which is a good thing"!) and just started on "Digital Fortress" (which I have a feeling could/should be worse than "Deception Point", being his first novel; I just only read the prologue) while Kathy Reichs' "Cross Bones" cover gathers a little bit more dust, I thought "The Last Templar" should wait till at least next month.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning M.Cordy's works. I think I will start on "The Messiah Code" and leave D.Brown's "Digital Fortress" for next.

BTW, anyone knows how much Dan Brown makes from TDVC having sold (and continue to sell, probably with a little bump after folks that never read the novel sees the film) 45 million (a guesstimate) copies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost of D3D said:
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning M.Cordy's works.

No problem - enjoy. For a debut effort it is pretty good.

WTF, they've been renamed to capitalise on the success of "The Da Vinci Code". That's ludicrous!

Not quite so ludicrous if you discard the altruistic part of yourself :) . Cordy was probably paid handsomely to agree to that and I doubt the idea of a re-titled reprint was his. I won't blame him.

If you think about it, the lure of making more money overrides the "lure" of finding Jesus Christ's DNA (the story of Cordy's "Messiah Code/Miracle Strain") simply because in the current world, printed barter paper saves more lives than religious faith. IOW, we need money more than we need God because human beings have evolved from the need to survive to the need to protect those we love. The latter requires money :) .

Sorry for the diatribe.

Back