Supercomputers: Obama orders world's fastest computer

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by pharma, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Shit, yeah! You're right, I'm getting my prefixes mixed up! :embarrased: Happens all the time, I'm afraid...

Going senile, I guess! :p

2. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

The most power efficient supercomputer currently on the Green 500 list is around 5GFLOPS/W, and it's a fairly small supercomputer. The only peta-level large system in top 10 is Piz Daint, which is around 3GFLOPS/W. So, we'll need to improve the power efficiency by about 6 times to make an exascale supercomputer within 60MW power envelope, which doesn't sound too difficult to achieve in 10 years. 30MW, on the other hand... the first Green 500 list and the latest one shows a 8 times improvement in ~7 years, but it's much more difficult to improve power efficiency these days.

#22 pcchen, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

Noted.

Noted.

digitalwanderer, Kej, tabs and 5 others like this.
  4. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

:runaway:

digitalwanderer and AlBran like this.
  5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The low-hanging fruit seems to be largely eaten already. Next step - photonics maybe? All-optical I/O? Non-silicon (GaAs?) transistors perhaps?

Regardless, it will have to be chasing tiny small fractions of savings all over the place in a system for large aggregate savings in the final end. Maybe we've been too lazy so far, just reaping rewards without taking proper consideration for the conservation of our planet's resources? :p

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Seems there's lots of room to innovate on the memory hierarchy front. Super fast nonvolatile memory is coming.

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

You are thinking of that Intel/Micron announcement from a few days ago? That is interesting tech, but the memory isn't suitable for temporary/work data, as it will wear out with enough writes, and not that many writes either in the big scheme of things from what I understand...

I saw claims it was "1000x" more endurable than flash - that is current flash tech I have to assume, which is on the order of 1000 re-writes roughly, meaning this memory would last somewhere around a million writes. You could do a million writes to RAM in a fraction of a second today. Even if the flash memory being compared to lasts 5000 re-writes or 10000 or 100000, it makes little difference in the end. It's still no fragging good as working memory. :p

So we end up needing good ole DRAM anyway after all... With smart caching and some kind of wear leveling scheme backed by a really big DRAM cache, maybe non-volatile RAM could work out, I dunno. Computers tend to write A LOT to RAM (and supercomputers tend to use really big data sets); much more than they write to disk of course, which is why non-volatile memory makes sense as external storage. You probably wouldn't want your non-volatile RAM permanently soldered to the CPU substrate though; it would have to sit in some kind of - hot-swappable, preferably - modules off to the side.

8. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

I know all that, and it might not be the Intel/Micron thing but it is coming in one form or another. Still I think DRAM or something like it will be necessary.

On another note, memory bandwidth is also about to explode by an order of magnitude. This could change the way we think about many HPC problems. All in all, there are many reasons why a 6x increase in perf/W is reasonable in 10 years.

9. ToTTenTranz

10. pharma

Veteran Regular

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

Summit will perform 5-10 times faster than TItan .... 2018 debut.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/exascale-supercomputing.html

https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/summit/

#31 pharma, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  12. pharma

Veteran Regular

#32 pharma, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Razor1 likes this.
  13. Commenter

Newcomer

President using his executive authority to build himself the best gaming rig in the world. I like it. He'll surely be able to frag (do people even say that anymore?) noobs in Unreal Tournament 4 at 5000fps.

14. pharma

Veteran Regular

China builds world's most powerful computer

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36575947

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Do we know what hardware this thing is based on?

16. Jawed

Legend

Lightman likes this.
  17. pharma

Veteran Regular

Razor1 and Grall like this.
  18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Ah. Very light on the specs. I goggled a little bit, found some more, but only down to the basic block overview of the processors, pretty much. One wonders what architecture the cores themselves are based on, previous chinese homegrown chips have been PowerPC based, or was it MIPS? Can't remember.

One wonders if it's not something similar now as well, modifying an existing licensed or 'borrowed' design; creating an entirely novel chip architecture and then making a world-class supercomputer out of it is a very big step to take all in one go... (I guess that's why they call it a "step", lol...)

19. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

20. lanek

Veteran

#40 lanek, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    pharma likes this.