Suggestions for an alternate file manager in windows 7?

windows 7 is quite a decent OS, I can stand it or even like with classic start menu and the task bar tweaked into two-row old style.

but I have issues with the inflexible file manager. wastes too much screen space (I'm on a small resolution), useless "organize" toolbar can't go away, big status bar with reduced functionality etc.
I miss the "useful" toolbar : had copy/cut/paste button, and the "folders" button that enables or disable the left pane.

what tips off the iceberg is the hard drive grinding when I open my movies directory, it's unusable for several seconds while reading the tags and I must have disabled caching somewhere.

maybe there's a simple freeware file manager I'm not aware of, possibly with a few useful features such as tabs? :)

I don't like Norton Commander clones but may consider getting into one (if they are goodies such as sftp support)

I found that one page, tested most of the options.
xplorer2 lite is a nice one but a bit overloaded for my taste.

I've settled on Cubic Explorer. good looking and playing nice!
I like how the fact it doesn't remember directory views is listed as a cons. this is a feature I don't want.

it does everything I wanted and has the good features from XP's explorer : "the folders" button and a dead simple bookmarks menu.
the weird default left pane, I disabled it and it can easily be ignored ; toolbar is easily cleaned up.

that is funny, I'll have to try it :).
It's antique but I wonder if it has the necessary guts still to allow drag'n'drop files to winamp.

Back