Stellar Blade (Project Eve)

Well I've been having a blast with this. It's a supreme amount of fun with some slick combat mechanics. The scripting can sometimes be a bit cringy in that anime cheese way, I have no idea how the actors don't laugh sometimes! Got to hand it to a proffessional :)

There are elements to it that can be very frustrating though, the puzzle sections have so many different mechanics, none of which are explained in anyway, that it gets confusing and annoying sometimes. Just pick a lane guys. The platforming and, especially, the wall running sections are painful. Eve has an inherent mass which means she doesn't stop straight away and tends to just walk off the edge of things. And the wall running is the worst implemetation I have ever seen. But thankfully these sections are few and far between.

Some of the puzzles just seem to be made to annoy the crap out of you as well. There's one room in particular late on in the game, the laser room at the orbital gateway, that seems to require Eve to move in nano seconds and the controls just don't respond as fast as the trap triggers, literally the lag between button press and Eve moving is too long.

Combat is great and the various skill trees and suit mods mean that you can tool Eve up to suit your playstyle. Her choice of clothing is somewhat bizzare given the situations that she finds herself in. Facing off against a screen sized, acid spitting, multi fanged, behemoth in just a swimsuit with a bunny tail doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me!! Luckily there are more practical set of clothing you can acquire that make more sense e.g. The full bear suit (my favourite). But I understand the style choices and I respect them. If I didn't I'd also never watch any Anime or read any Manga so...

But overall the game is slick, entertaining, and good enough to break my Dragons Dogma addiction :D Some elements feel like they were handed to the intern to complete and they can be frustrating, but they are few and far between and leave the majority of the game to shine.

And here are two images, the bear suit of death and my favourite tentacled monstrosity fighting outfit. Both of these screenshots are taken just before I am about to die many times trying to get through the next section :D

Attachments

• Stellar Blade_20240503114305.jpg
    Stellar Blade_20240503114305.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Stellar Blade_20240503114421.jpg
    Stellar Blade_20240503114421.jpg
    917.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back