Steam gifting; AvP, the upcoming title

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
AvP, the upcoming title, is selling for $65 USD to Australians on Steam, but Americans get it at $50, which is no more than $55 AUD.

I prefer to dump the money into someone's account before they gift it to me.

Ta.

Damn, just checked ... it's 50 euros here ... and they were doing so nice with the holiday sales (euro prices were scaled appropriately). Back to boycotting them :( G'luck with the search.

Last edited by a moderator:
they were doing so nice with the holiday sales (euro prices were scaled appropriately). Back to boycotting them :(
It's the publishers that set prices on Steam it seems, so if anyone needs a boycott it's them... Apparantly all games publishers (including Nintendo, Sony, micro$oft) feel it's totally OK to rip off us euros.

It's the publishers that set prices on Steam it seems, so if anyone needs a boycott it's them... Apparantly all games publishers (including Nintendo, Sony, micro$oft) feel it's totally OK to rip off us euros.
Mainland Europeans ... UK'ians get a free pass.

Any west european gamer with half a brain orders boxed games from the big online players who simply import from the UK. Places like cdwow/play.com ... free shipping with UK prices. Play.com has AvP for EUR 23.49 !!! (Which is a bit below the normal launch prices, and less than half the launch prices on the consoles, dunno why it's discounted already.) Cheaper than buying it on Steam in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's Steam that stops us buying from the US site and paying in dollars.
Get american credit card...? :p Not sure you can get one without being a US resident though, and maybe steam would just (over)charge you in euros anyway...

So yea, if price is a big obstacle then boycotting is all that "works". At least until they have a weekend discount or such.

Get american credit card...?

No, use my UK card to pay in dollars. Like I do when I buy stuff using eg. Paypal. Paypal UK take payment from my UK credit card in Sterling, the US e-tailer gets paid in US dollars at whatever price they were setting in dollars. The exchange rate is a few percent worse than the market exchange rate at the time. It's not £1=$1!

I've done this countless times, there's nothing technically stopping Steam from doing this. They just choose not to because they make more money by not doing so.

Mainland Europeans ... UK'ians get a free pass.

Any west european gamer with half a brain orders boxed games from the big online players who simply import from the UK. Places like cdwow/play.com ... free shipping with UK prices. Play.com has AvP for EUR 23.49 !!! (Which is a bit below the normal launch prices, and less than half the launch prices on the consoles, dunno why it's discounted already.) Cheaper than buying it on Steam in the US.

Thanks very much for the tip - I just ordered it from Play.com :)

For 50+ EUR, they can kiss my arse. No game is worth it nor will it ever be.

Play.com has AvP for EUR 23.49 !!! (Which is a bit below the normal launch prices, and less than half the launch prices on the consoles, dunno why it's discounted already.)

Play.com is based in the chanel isands therefore they dont pay v.a.t

BTW, I bought ME2 from Direct2Drive's UK site through a free SSL proxy and then downloaded it without using the proxy ... worked fine for me.

Back