SquareEnix announces new titles (Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant + more)

Titanio

Legend
SquareEnix has just wrapped a conference in Tokyo announcing some new titles across various platforms. From what I've gathered, the following were announced:

Star Ocean 4 (System Undecided)

The Last Remnant (PS3/360)
- SE's first Unreal Engine 3 game.
- Simultaneous release in NA and Japan
- Based in a medieval inspired world, but with aliens and humans.
- Looks like an RPG with Dynasty Warriors-style elements..you'll be able to command large armies.
- Some screenshots here: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/904/904859/imgs_1.html?RSSwhen2007-05-10_013400&RSSid=787028

Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (Wii)

More details to follow, I guess - most details that have come through so far have been on The Last Remnant. There were also a few other handheld games announced (FFIV DS, Star Ocean remakes & FF: Dissidia on PSP) and an International Edition of FFXII for PS2.

Unfortunately no news on FFXIII or the like, it seems...it was perhaps a quieter conference that some expected. But it is nice to see at least one new IP from them.

Damn you. You got me all excited when I saw Star Ocean 4 only to find no more info then they are making it for some platform sometime in the future.:mad:

SquareEnix has just wrapped a conference in Tokyo announcing some new titles across various platforms. From what I've gathered, the following were announced:

Star Ocean 4 (System Unannounced)

Fixed...

IGN stated that the game has been in development for a while so they have to have been developing it on something.. ;)

I'd say a PS3 version is a given with a good 40-60% of seeing an Xbox360 version and possibly DS and Wii spin-offs..

I'm really excited about the Last remnant IP! It's to finally hear of some more "proper" JRPGs (and especially SE ones..) which will be making their way over to the Xbox360, it's probably one of the core components the console needs to properly fill out the software diversity factor a bit more...

Hopefully this can pave the way for a chance to see some Nipon Ichi and Atlus RPGs on the platform.. :D

So much Japanese RPG goodness! I can't wait!! :D

finally an original square ip that looks different and interesting (last remnant). i'm just suprised that they didn't announce another nova fainaru fanatazi delux party versus 12: vox fides dictum libertatum for some kind of pda/cell phone system. also i hope that star ocean 4 doesn't go to wii exclusively, i want my high production values with my jrpgs dammit!

I'd say a PS3 version is a given with a good 40-60% of seeing an Xbox360 version
IF it comes to PS3 the 360 version is a given since they would port the engine from 360 anyway. But seeing how 360 and PS3 are selling in Japan, chances are that SO4 will come to DS or Wii.

IF it comes to PS3 the 360 version is a given since they would port the engine from 360 anyway. But seeing how 360 and PS3 are selling in Japan, chances are that SO4 will come to DS or Wii.

1) The PS3 isn't selling too badly in Japan and chances are the star ocean franchise is big enough to survive (sales-wise) on the PS3 alone but would definitely benefit from the overseas 360 installbase (Since traditionally SO sales haven't been restricted to Japan-only I doubt the installbase over there, or lack of, would be prevent foreign distribution of the title..)

2) What makes you think the SO engine was being developed on the 360..? And if it was an Unreal Engine 3.0 based title (doubtful IMO because re-engineering the SO: UTEOT PS2 engine would probably be a better option to allow them to keep alot of their PS2 game specific code which would be useful for a game this size.. not to mention the possibility that this game went into develpment before SE licensed Unreal..) they could just as well have chosen any platform to develop on (even PC) without any significant bias or impact on their production schedule...

3) I doubt you'd see any kind of Wii exclusivity for this game since its one that could be considered to have a cult following that has lived on Playstation hardware since the second iteration (the first being a SNES game)... For SE to tear a game like this (which doesn't really have universal appeal and rely's quite strongly on its high production values and stylised but top-class CG) from it's strong and loyal following and thrust it onto a console where the majority of the target audience care mostly for Mario and casual games, would be a very stupid move IMO and one that would serious hurt the potential sales of the title rather than help it..

Capcom learnt that lesson when they stole the RE franchise from the hearts and minds of the playstation gamers and gave it solely to a foreign platform (GC) which ultimately failed on the market and caused them to give it back to the playstation fan-base (RE4 - PS2) who, by that time's wounds had already healed (and had moved on to other franchises such as DMC and Onimusha), ultimately causing the RE franchise to lose alot of its popularity in the end..

2) What makes you think the SO engine was being developed on the 360..? And if it was an Unreal Engine 3.0 based title (doubtful IMO because re-engineering the SO: UTEOT PS2 engine would probably be a better option to allow them to keep alot of their PS2 game specific code which would be useful for a game this size.. not to mention the possibility that this game went into develpment before SE licensed Unreal..) they could just as well have chosen any platform to develop on (even PC) without any significant bias or impact on their production schedule...
Over half a year ago there was an article about Valkirie Profile 2's engine. In the beginning of the article it was said that while every Tri-Ace's game had pretty much a new engine made from ground up for its needs, next-gen development would be to expensive and too long for it, so their future games on 360 and PS3 would be based on Infinite Undiscovery's engine (but of course their technology would be evolving).
3) I doubt you'd see any kind of Wii exclusivity for this game since its one that could be considered to have a cult following that has lived on Playstation hardware since the second iteration (the first being a SNES game)... For SE to tear a game like this (which doesn't really have universal appeal and rely's quite strongly on its high production values and stylised but top-class CG) from it's strong and loyal following and thrust it onto a console where the majority of the target audience care mostly for Mario and casual games, would be a very stupid move IMO and one that would serious hurt the potential sales of the title rather than help it..

Capcom learnt that lesson when they stole the RE franchise from the hearts and minds of the playstation gamers and gave it solely to a foreign platform (GC) which ultimately failed on the market and caused them to give it back to the playstation fan-base (RE4 - PS2) who, by that time's wounds had already healed (and had moved on to other franchises such as DMC and Onimusha), ultimately causing the RE franchise to lose alot of its popularity in the end..
Wii ain't Gamecube that was pretty much bought mostly by hardcore Nintendo fans - you like it or not, it's the most mainstream next-gen console on all continents and its userbase is much more diversified. I could predict the reverse - releasing Star Ocean only on PS3 would hurt the franchise much more due to PS3's very limited user base and very high development costs. As for cult following of the SO on the platform - PS3 is no ps2 and PS3's user base isn't equal to PS2's. And there is no guarantee that these people will eventually jump to PS3. Publishers have no sentiments and that's why we're having Ace Combat on 360, Dragon Quest on NDS etc. The same happened to greater extent 10 years ago when 3rd parties left Nintendo.

Please allow me to laugh my ass off.
It's selling less than 50 thousand units per month, it's not "too bad", more like "catastrophic"...

It's bad, but "catastrophic" is already taken by 360.

Back on topic, I was kinda dissapointed they didn't announced anything else on Wii.

It's bad, but "catastrophic" is already taken by 360.
"In the news today, a tsunami hit the south coast of Asia and killed 50,000 people. We would call that catastrophic, but by an unfortunate coincidence an earthquake hit the west-coast of the US and killed 55,000 people. So the tsunami has been downgraded from a catastrophic event to a bad one."

You're exhibiting a common behaviour where things are measured as which is worse, and then categorizing the worse one as 'totaly useless' and the better one as at least 'okay'. We see the same thing with the hardware too. RSX is not as good as Xenos, so in many a fella's mind it's pretty much rubbish. You need to appreciate a scale of good <> bad. At 10,000 sales a week, PS3 is doing rubbishly in Japan. It's better than XB360, but that's not saying much. For sales to be good, Sony would need to be builiding up a user base of some millions, and they're not showing anything of the sort.

"In the news today, a tsunami hit the south coast of Asia and killed 50,000 people. We would call that catastrophic, but by an unfortunate coincidence an earthquake hit the west-coast of the US and killed 55,000 people. So the tsunami has been downgraded from a catastrophic event to a bad one."

You're exhibiting a common behaviour where things are measured as which is worse, and then categorizing the worse one as 'totaly useless' and the better one as at least 'okay'. We see the same thing with the hardware too. RSX is not as good as Xenos, so in many a fella's mind it's pretty much rubbish. You need to appreciate a scale of good <> bad. At 10,000 sales a week, PS3 is doing rubbishly in Japan. It's better than XB360, but that's not saying much. For sales to be good, Sony would need to be builiding up a user base of some millions, and they're not showing anything of the sort.

I don't disagree Shifty, though in defence of V3, Laa-Yosh was replying to a quote that was putting this

aselto said:
IF it comes to PS3 the 360 version is a given since they would port the engine from 360 anyway.

into context. How bad PS3 is selling in Japan isn't relevant in the context that aselto was comparing the sales performance of both PS3 and 360 in that region. Seeing that the PS3 is selling better and has already exceeded total sales of 360s some time now, I don't think questioning PS3s support of that title and having 360s as absolut certainty is very fair, don't you agree?

I don't disagree Shifty, though in defence of V3, Laa-Yosh was replying to a quote that was putting this

into context. How bad PS3 is selling in Japan isn't relevant in the context that aselto was comparing the sales performance of both PS3 and 360 in that region. Seeing that the PS3 is selling better and has already exceeded total sales of 360s some time now, I don't think questioning PS3s support of that title and having 360s as absolut certainty is very fair, don't you agree?
I was not comparing 360's to PS3's performance in Japan. I was comparing PS3's AND 360's to Wii's and/or NDS's sales in Japan. It's a big difference. What I was trying to say is that:
a)if they're aiming mainly at Japanese audience, they will make the game for Wii or NDS. PS3/360 sales in Japan do not justify developing the game on these platform mainly for Japanese gamers.
b)if they're aiming at worldwide audience, they still could do SO4 for Wii or DS or a multiplatform release for 360/PS3. If they do make the game for PS3, I cannot see them ignoring 360's bigger userbase (and higher attach ratio), especially that they have engine ready for 360.

When did I say it's at least okay? I said it was bad. Regarding the scale perhaps you don't realize how catastrophic the 360 is in Japan?

And it is insulting to the natural disaster victims to contrast them with stupid console sales.

I was not comparing 360's to PS3's performance in Japan. I was comparing PS3's AND 360's to Wii's and/or NDS's sales in Japan. It's a big difference. What I was trying to say is that:
a)if they're aiming mainly at Japanese audience, they will make the game for Wii or NDS. PS3/360 sales in Japan do not justify developing the game on these platform mainly for Japanese gamers.

I still don't see the point in directly comparing PS3/360 sales with Wii, or as a matter of fact with handheld sales. Different platforms, different audiences - different limits and different resources available. For the sake of it, we could be arguing why Square doesn't stay on the PS2, a platform that has a market base of over 100 million.

A game targeting Wii's hardware would be very different from what it would be, if it were to target PS3 or 360. Talking about multiplatform games that are to support PS3, 360, Wii and DS (and other handhelfs) - don't really see the point in that and wouldn't think a developer would seriously consider this, seeing that the hardware is too different.

I still don't see the point in directly comparing PS3/360 sales with Wii, or as a matter of fact with handheld sales. Different platforms, different audiences - different limits and different resources available. For the sake of it, we could be arguing why Square doesn't stay on the PS2, a platform that has a market base of over 100 million.
PS2 owners don't buy games as much as they used to (and will be even less). On the other hand NDS and Wii owners are buying games in big quantities and seeing as userbase of both grows rapidly I wouldn't exclude possibility of SO4 being in development for either Wii or DS. (see - Dragon Quest IX)

A game targeting Wii's hardware would be very different from what it would be, if it were to target PS3 or 360. Talking about multiplatform games that are to support PS3, 360, Wii and DS (and other handhelfs) - don't really see the point in that and wouldn't think a developer would seriously consider this, seeing that the hardware is too different.
I wasn't talking about SO4 to be released on all these platforms. What I said was that games in in development on NDS or Wii or PS3/360 (not all of them at once). I don't see the game being exclusive to PS3 - Square Enix already has 2 projects that are exclusive to PS3 and I doubt they want to risk more especially considering bad PS3 sales and Tri-Ace's engine ready for 360.

I'm probably the only person who didn't completely hate Star Ocean 3, so I'll be one of the rare person who is really glad to hear about the sequel.
The Last Remnant (PS3/360)
- SE's first Unreal Engine 3 game.
- Simultaneous release in NA and Japan
- Based in a medieval inspired world, but with aliens and humans.
- Looks like an RPG with Dynasty Warriors-style elements..you'll be able to command large armies.
- Some screenshots here: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/904/904859/imgs_1.html?RSSwhen2007-05-10_013400&RSSid=787028
Am I the only one who thinks "Drakengard" after reading about this game?
Star Ocean remakes & FF: Dissidia on PSP
What ...wait, what? More details about that, please.

The remakes apparently use a 3d engine but not sure to what extent. Possibly a mod of the the Star Ocean 2 engine.

And I liked Star Ocean 3 as well even with the rushed job weird ending.

But then I didn't think Drakengard was bad except for the final but masher of a level. Now that's just infuriating.

What ...wait, what? More details about that, please.

300px-FFDISSIDIALOGO.png

Dissidia will revolve around summons that were present in almost all FF games. Its so cool that they finally decided to put them in almost leading role in this game [they are gods in this "plane of existence"]. And few charachers from other FF games will be in it [most notably Warriors of Light and Garland from FF1 and Zidane Tribal and Kuja from FF9]

And they saed that genre of the game is "Action". I guess, they will release some more info on this weekend show...

Back