Sony's latest legal challenger - aiming to destroy PlayStation!

That could be yet another point that serves Sony well in their defense. If there is evidence of machines that have been built, marketed, and sold as product, prior to the first patent, that could be grounds to void that patent. Hence, you cannot sue on a patent that is no longer valid.

they will let you patent basic plain obvious commonsense, no brains required ideas
The patents are so cryptic for the purpose of fooling the clerks so they'll think it is at least brilliant invention :D

Seriously, i think the patent system was good in 19 century, when there was 10 good engineers around. Things are different now, when we have millions.
And of course , it should not be possible to patent things like "Buy it now" button.

Sounds like writing down the idea is enough for patent application. You don't actually need to show you have constructed something real that bring those ideas to life?

It may be a good time to read up on quantum computing etc., make an educated guess about the principles that will be involved when people create them for real, and file some patents. :cool:

Nah I assume it is broke becuase people make things in the US and find their products torn apart and reproduced in china then sold for cheaper do to cheaper labor and materials.

Probably a bit of bias though as my dad works for a small UPS company and have seen that happen to them.
Was this device protected by patents, or was it just by copyright (e.g. circuit board layout etc)?

If these "copies" were being sold in the US, then the owner of the patent can take civil action and stop the sales of the copies.

Furthermore, the owner of the patent can apply for patents in other countries using the priority date of the US patent.

I'm sure at the least it was copyrighted and knowing them patented. The problem isn't so much that as the Chinese refuse to enforce any such thing in their country. Must be really annoying to open it up and it's the same right down to the circuit board layout.

Back