Sony's latest legal challenger - aiming to destroy PlayStation!

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
From GI.biz

Sony Computer Entertainment America is being taken to court by California-based Parallel Processing Corporation over the Cell chip in the PlayStation 3.
The company alleges that Sony products infringe on a patent approved in 1991 for "synchronised parallel processing with shared memory," according to a report on GameSpot.
The complaint states that the infringement is "causing irreparable harm and monetary damage," to the company.
Parallel Processing Corporation is seeking damages and fees, as well as the impounding and destruction of all Sony products infringing on the patent.

:oops:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

There's only one more step after this. "Company X is seeking damages and fees against Sony, along with the beheading of the chief executive staff the signing of their families into slavery for 250 years"

Lol! I already see the army going from door to door and impounding Playstation 3s for immediate destruction. :LOL:

This is the single most stupidest lawsuit i've ever seen..

It's actually a testament to show exactly how rediculous the state of the US patent office/regulations are..

Do these iddiots honestly believe they're going to get anywhere with such a court case?

I hope Sony rape them to the floor in a long drawn out legal battle causeing the company to fold in on itself under the huge legal fees being paid out..

Seriously what the hell next? :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Out of curiousity who the hell grants such generic patents like "synchronised parallel processing with shared memory" anyway..?

Sure the chances of them winning is close to zero, and the chance of the 15 appeals failing is close to zero... But damn would that be a spectacular disaster for sony.

Of course it's not going to happen*

The terse five-page complaint--filed in the Eastern District of Texas (Tyler Division)on July 26--claims that Sony products including the PS3 infringe upon its patent. The suit doesn't specify which of the patent's claims Sony is infringing upon, but it states that the company's actions "are causing irreparable harm and monetary damage" to the company

*sigh* Everything about that sentence makes kittens cry.

*touch wood

Does the east court of texas have time for ANYTHING else than handling more or less frivolous patent lawsuits filed by companies located all over the country?

Pretty much every other suit I see - particulary those that are scummy in nature to some degree - seem to be filed there.

Anywayt.. It is my motion that the plaintiffs of any patent lawsuit filed where the infringed patents are not mentioned in the suit itself be shot on the spot and their carcasses thrown to the vultures to feed on.

Is there a second? :devilish:
Peace.

Does the east court of texas have time for ANYTHING else than handling more or less frivolous patent lawsuits filed by companies located all over the country?

Pretty much every other suit I see - particulary those that are scummy in nature to some degree - seem to be filed there.

Anywayt.. It is my motion that the plaintiffs of any patent lawsuit filed where the infringed patents are not mentioned in the suit itself be shot on the spot and their carcasses thrown to the vultures to feed on.

Is there a second? :devilish:
Peace.

Aye! :p

Didn't IBM design CELL?

Surely they are the ones that infringed on these so called patents anyway, not Sony.

Didn't IBM design CELL?

Surely they are the ones that infringed on these so called patents anyway, not Sony.

Yeah but IBM aren't the ones producing ans selling products which infringe on the so-called "patent" and so the firm wouldn't gain anything from a lawsuit against them..

See..!

You have to really "understand" the "intelligent forward-thinking mentality" of these people to figure out why they're going ahead with it.. ;)

Wouldn't it have been wiser to sue Microsoft and xbox360, they're selling more, aren't they? Aren't they also using a processor which is violating the "synchronised parallel processing with shared memory" patent.

Didn't IBM design CELL?

Kutaragi is the one that envisioned it, and holds the patent. Or, at least one Cell patent. Though his original patent is a hell of a lot more grandiose than what STI actually delivered. But that's how his visions tend to be. :D

Yeah but IBM aren't the ones producing ans selling products which infringe on the so-called "patent" and so the firm wouldn't gain anything from a lawsuit against them..

But IBM is selling Cell chips. The Mercury Cell blade servers immediately come to mind.

Especially since Sony isn't making ANY money on them..

I do have to wonder what they do with those less than 7 SPU yields. Toshiba doesn't have a Cell fab, and they were suppose to be the first to produce Cell based CE devices (though they're late by about 2 years). They have to get their chips from somewhere, and they don't need 7 SPUs to drive a display. Maybe they have arrangement? Pure speculation, mind you. But seems like something like that could be mutually beneficial.

Kutaragi is the one that envisioned it, and holds the patent. Or, at least one Cell patent. Though his original patent is a hell of a lot more grandiose than what STI actually delivered. But that's how his visions tend to be. :D

But IBM is selling Cell chips. The Mercury Cell blade servers immediately come to mind.

Link please :) , yeah IBM, Mercury and raytheon are all using cell.

I can actually see this company winning, US court afteral.

Toshiba doesn't have a Cell fab.

Nagasaki Fab is partially Toshibas

I do have to wonder what they do with those less than 7 SPU yields. Toshiba doesn't have a Cell fab, and they were suppose to be the first to produce Cell based CE devices (though they're late by about 2 years). They have to get their chips from somewhere, and they don't need 7 SPUs to drive a display. Maybe they have arrangement? Pure speculation, mind you. But seems like something like that could be mutually beneficial.
Somehow I got the impression that Cell sucks alot more power than it should, especially as the PS3 has the same powerdraw during idle as when under full load. Then there were those charts where each SPU was only using 2-3 Watts. Prolly the powerdraw is what keeps them from beeing used in CE.

Nice patent though, if I wouldve been old enough I would have patented "binary" in the 80`s

I remember talk of the orignal Cell plan having to be modified a lot; (I think it may have been in a piece by the IBM guy who was heading up the project. His name may have been Jim Kahl. Or something. Google seems to disagree!).

Anyway, the SPUs being as they are was as a concession to Toshiba. I can't remember the exact details but I hope Carl B will come storming in to clear things up. :p

Has somebody looked to the original patent?
Just to see if the case is really ridiculous or not.

Toshiba was getting its Cell's from IBM, at least earlier on - and their only Cell-based shipping product was/is the Toshiba reference design kit. They also make the Super Companion Chip that is present in most blade designs, and will be fabbing Cell on their 65nm CMOS process. Or at least so it seems from their recent demonstrations of 65nm CMOS SPEs.

Nagasaki Fab is partially Toshibas

Well, it's not Nagasaki, but OTSS that is the joint fab. Sony's 65nm SOI Cell production line is all their own.

Yeah, well not Kutaragi as holder but SCE... it's the original "Broadband Engine" patent that's in question here. Note also that "Broadband Engine" is a Sony trademark.

I remember talk of the orignal Cell plan having to be modified a lot; (I think it may have been in a piece by the IBM guy who was heading up the project. His name may have been Jim Kahl. Or something. Google seems to disagree!).

Anyway, the SPUs being as they are was as a concession to Toshiba. I can't remember the exact details but I hope Carl B will come storming in to clear things up. :p

Here's the thread on the subject:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=20563&page=2&highlight=engineers

What it was, was that Jim Kahle originally proposed all Power-based cores, and Toshiba was like... "well, maybe we don't need Power at all?" I truly love that thread by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the single most stupidest lawsuit i've ever seen..

It's actually a testament to show exactly how rediculous the state of the US patent office/regulations are..

Do these iddiots honestly believe they're going to get anywhere with such a court case?

I don't know. The courts are often unbelievably stupid when it comes to deliberating over technical issues.

Back