Sony To Report $1.3 Billion Quarterly Loss On Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how $100 lost on a console isn't a big deal , they have to make that up before they make a profit.

We don´t know how valid that $100 number is, analysts have been mighty wrong before.

Why not get the facts from the mouth of the horse himself?

Times:It’s well known that Sony loses money on every PS3 it sells. Will that still be the case with the new machine?
Kaz: If you're just talking about the hardware alone, the quick answer is yes. That makes good headlines, but I don't actually know that that's the true nature of the business that we're all in, whether it's PlayStation, Xbox or the Wii. I think the better indicator is to look at the business as a whole platform, to ask: are you profitable in terms of the hardware, software and peripherals. And the answer t o that question is yes on a gross profit level since the last fiscal year.

The source of that $100 figure is an analyst's comment on Japanese TV, which in turn was loosely based on Sony's CFO's comments much earlier in March. So basically, that's speculation by itself.

In general these sort of end figures (100$) or conclusions are worthless, when we aren't provided any sort of data or research information, that is supposed to be behind these conclusions. I hate reading these kind of conclusions and it's even more annoying seeing people running with them.

We don´t know how valid that $100 number is, analysts have been mighty wrong before.

Why not get the facts from the mouth of the horse himself?

I admited that I don't know if its the proper cost. You could have read my post . Also his statement is them lumping the playstation brand together. I'd hope the ps2 ,psp and ps3 togehter would make a profit.

I admited that I don't know if its the proper cost. You could have read my post . Also his statement is them lumping the playstation brand together. I'd hope the ps2 ,psp and ps3 togehter would make a profit.

OK, but even if the $100 number is true it is not really interesting as Sony is obviously making up for their losses on the PS3 console sales in other ways.

Also Kaz does not say he is including the PS2 and PSP business in his take, but that may be the case, we cannot tell from that statement alone. "Platform" could mean the PS3 platform or the Playstation platform.

I'm confident that Sony breaks even at a minimum from their loss when they sell accessories, and a few games. Hell, I'm sure that PlayStation Home even contributes to this.
Call me old-fashioned, but I personally don´t think this kind of inflammatory nonsense remarks belong on B3D.

It just takes a few minutes in his post history to let it click. I think either he's a joke character, or he seriously wants "Sony" to fail because they "Killed" Sega's hardware division.

When Sony reports numbers, we'll have a thread and discussion. It's a one day wait so I think it's easy enough to wait for actual context before going through these motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back